News Bulldogs 3 million dollar offer to matt burton

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Teams DO NOT put extra defenders on Burton or anyone else .... It is their right edge against our left, man on man.

You would get slaughtered having a defense with moving parts.
I'm not saying they change their defensive structure.. But after wasted crash plays and other dumb shit for two tackles by JMK, then a Tolman-esque run by Flanagan where he runs back into defenders and gets a 12 second play the ball, multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right.

That scenario happened every second set all season. It's hard for any half to just come up with some magic after 3-4 wasted plays before that where the defense hasn't been tested or stretched and they're up in your face.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging by the stats Burton should be no.06 on there.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watch how good he goes with a second rower who knows how to hit a hole and run a decoy (Kikau) and a hooker who will give quality ball.
Plus he’s a marketing dream. Very likeable bloke, kids love him. You need that poster boy.
Wish we had a gun halfback to go with him

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who cares what we pay him, has potential.
I just hope Ciraldo isnt a dud because if he is, Burton will stagnate.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well, let's see if he signs or if he has already when will it be announced..Gus has already teased twice in the last few days about nice results spill the beans you prick lol

I'm not buying into all the its overs he is this but not that or whatever..down the track it could be a bargain this amount of money if he progresses as we're hoping he will.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Very good money for a bloke that doesn't know how to play 5/8
He actually does know how to play 5/8. His strength is his running and kicking game. Unfortunately he doesn’t have a dominant half back to steer the team around and create attacking opportunities therefore it all falls on his shoulders.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When he has a halves partner that's drawing some attention he'll hopefully thrive. I'm happy with the club offering what they think he's worth.

I think the days where we splash the bulk of our cap on forwards are behind us. The thing about being a development club is that we'll hopefully see us back in the habit of developing the bulk of our pack or finding guys that demand the chance to play NRL but are stuck behind incumbents. We used to do it. We've scored a couple of good quality props in recent times that nobody rated in big Ava and King. Hopefully this habit lets us spend big on the spine as we move forward.

Getting the right ball distributors in place enhances the rest of the 17. Having that little bit of extra time and space is huge. And while we've only seen glimpses of what Burton can do, we'll be seeing more of it next season.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you wouldn't let him go for an extra 50k anyways, especially with what's on the market and what you'd have to pay to get someone else then. Your halves will soon quickly look like the Knights.
Or like the scum, having lost their 9 to us, only to replace him with a lesser, older version for more $$!!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No I'm not happy about it but I can understand it, still overs. I'd be happy if we signed an established half because that's literally what turns a team around right now.
I think we all would be. But can you name one who is available and what you would pay as an alternative? Remembering we are competing against a number of other shit teams, and some good teams for this signature….so saying $450k or some absurdly low number won’t get the business done.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He 100% looks far more suited to fullback than 5/8.
I actually could see him play and do well at fullback…the skill set and play is quite similar to a 6 these days…..

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why? He made Origin and killed it in Origin. That drives his price up. Yes he has things to improve on in his game, but 16 other clubs would pay that much or more for him, especially considering the lack of halves available and the cap going up.

90% of the players in the league probably aren't worth what they're on. If the market dictates that's what he's worth, then that's what he's worth whether you or others agree or not.
To be fair, he played Origin in the centres. Yes, he killed it, but he is a centre, and he had the best talent around him. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy we have him, but he isn't a 6 yet.