News Bulldogs 3 million dollar offer to matt burton

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We’ve had problems with our kicking game ever since Shifty left. We now get a half with an incredible kicking game and people still complain. I don’t care if he sets up 20 tries with his boot and none with his passing, a try assist is a try assist no matter which way you look at it. Sherwin was on the cusp of making his origin debut because of his deadly kicking game and his combination with El Masri. A great kicking game goes a long way in winning a footy game. It’s Rugby League FFS not tennis. Tries that come off attacking kicks is an essential part of the game, no team can win a comp without it. Imagine telling soccer players that setting up goals via through balls or crosses doesn’t mean anything Lol.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m very confident in saying overall (despite in a far better roster) hynes is the better player.

Though I’m just as confident in saying that when burton who is 4 years younger is at that age will be a far better player than hynes will ever be.
Yeah I think in terms of his ability and maturity, Hynes may be about to hit his ceiling. His experience and importance to the Sharks especially as a 7 will still continue to increase.

There's still a massive amount of improvement left in Burton and I think by 27 he will be a Fittler like elite player in the game.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We’ve had problems with our kicking game ever since Shifty left. We now get a half with an incredible kicking game and people still complain. I don’t care if he sets up 20 tries with his boot and none with his passing, a try assist is a try assist no matter which way you look at it. Sherwin was on the cusp of making his origin debut because of his deadly kicking game and his combination with El Masri. A great kicking game goes a long way in winning a footy game. It’s Rugby League FFS not tennis. Tries that come off attacking kicks is an essential part of the game, no team can win a comp without it. Imagine telling soccer players that setting up goals via through balls or crosses doesn’t mean anything Lol.
It’s like a try off a kick is worth 2 points… I don’t get it.

Burton has the ball, he sees an opportunity to set someone up with his boot, he executes it as intended.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is so true. The fact he is also doing basically all the kicking without a foil also makes what he does even better. When your 7 doesn’t kick any longer than 40m and cannot bomb to any great height or keep a grubber in the in goal. Every team knows where the ball is going and man marks him.

Hopefully getting a quality 9 will help but until we get a genuine foil at 7. Burto will still have his off moments. We don’t need the marquee 7. We need a solid game managing right sided dominant half that can kick.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not saying they change their defensive structure.. But after wasted crash plays and other dumb shit for two tackles by JMK, then a Tolman-esque run by Flanagan where he runs back into defenders and gets a 12 second play the ball, multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right.

That scenario happened every second set all season. It's hard for any half to just come up with some magic after 3-4 wasted plays before that where the defense hasn't been tested or stretched and they're up in your face.

"Multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right"

That just does not happen .... it would be football suicide. You can't have players sliding to the extent you are suggesting, no one would last 5 mins.

I was as high on Burton as you .... even predicted he would be Aust 5/8 within 18 months.

However as the season progressed he began showing some alarming traits in his game which in my opinion got worse as the season unfolded.

He even became a target in defense as edge backrowers charged straight at him knowing his arm tackles are ineffective .... think Briton Nikora.

He is about to paid like a superstar which quite frankly makes me nervous.
Who are ‘superstars’ by your definition?

Last edited:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We've had Kimmorley and then Hodkinson since Sherwin who both also held their own with their kicking games.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We've had Kimmorley and then Hodkinson since Sherwin who both also held their own with their kicking games.
Yep they were good also, but Sherwin was lethal. I remember some big games against top quality opposition where we just couldn’t break the line, his try assists with his boot made the defense start retreating and put them in two minds, then the gaps started opening up.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I think if we lock up Burton for 4 years on the deal that's been speculated, then that is great work by the club / Gus.

Let's not forget the three teams with the greatest capability of bypassing/rorting the salary cap (Roosters, Melbourne & Broncos) are likely to be looking to sign a quality 6 in the next year or two (think Mam will replace Reynolds as 7).

I'd rather they be fighting over other 6s with the Dogs already having Burton secured and happy.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mutt, are you sure you are not related to @Flanagun..? The level of your negativity towards Burton is on par with his positivity towards Flange/Smelliott and co.

How can you possibly stay upbeat and defend Jake with the ferocity you do and yet take every opportunity to slag off on Burton?

You have a pretty sharp footy brain so I don’t understand, is it a tick or something?
Don’t drag me into this, Baz. Loving yourself is healthy, bagging out Burton like this is crazy.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Considering some of the stupid plodders we have paid overs to
Lewis was on 500k.
@Flanagun 500k.
Smelliot 700k.
Allan 500k
Im sure there is many others

750k for a talent like Burto is chump change and a good starting point for the young bloke
Elliott was on 500k.. and that was a fucking bargain. How are you still bagging him out after the season he just produced?

I am worth every cent if my 500k too

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The queen just died. You shouldn’t be disrespecting the monarchy
FMD, it was 2 weeks ago. Even she is thinking “C’mon… move on already”.

P.S get rid of Chucky and give that hottie Kate a go..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mutt, are you sure you are not related to @Flanagun..? The level of your negativity towards Burton is on par with his positivity towards Flange/Smelliott and co.

How can you possibly stay upbeat and defend Jake with the ferocity you do and yet take every opportunity to slag off on Burton?

You have a pretty sharp footy brain so I don’t understand, is it a tick or something?
Mfw I post a comment about Burton on TK, put my phone on vibrate and shove it up my arse.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
I'm not saying they change their defensive structure.. But after wasted crash plays and other dumb shit for two tackles by JMK, then a Tolman-esque run by Flanagan where he runs back into defenders and gets a 12 second play the ball, multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right.

That scenario happened every second set all season. It's hard for any half to just come up with some magic after 3-4 wasted plays before that where the defense hasn't been tested or stretched and they're up in your face.
"Multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right"

That just does not happen .... it would be football suicide. You can't have players sliding to the extent you are suggesting, no one would last 5 mins.

I was as high on Burton as you .... even predicted he would be Aust 5/8 within 18 months.

However as the season progressed he began showing some alarming traits in his game which in my opinion got worse as the season unfolded.

He even became a target in defense as edge backrowers charged straight at him knowing his arm tackles are ineffective .... think Briton Nikora.

He is about to paid like a superstar which quite frankly makes me nervous.
[/QUOTE]
That's what happens when you only have one focal point of attack. They get targeted so they are not as effective with the ball and lose confidence/get knocked up. Just like that whole edge leaves it up to Burton in attack they also don't help in defence when numbers are getting run at him.

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He plays well in the centres but he's not a centre, he's a half. I don't know of any centres that can get 14 try assists on a shit team and can put in the kicks he can for Addo-Carr aside from maybe Jamie Lyon in his prime.

Obviously he has areas to improve on, but he's 22 years old and played his first full season in the halves with no help from the rest of the spine. I don't know how people expect him to be the finished article on a struggling team.
I wholeheartedly agree with all you say. I’m sure Gus would agree also and his footy nouse is by far superior to all of ours.