News Bulldogs 3 million dollar offer to matt burton

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right"

That just does not happen .... it would be football suicide. You can't have players sliding to the extent you are suggesting, no one would last 5 mins.

I was as high on Burton as you .... even predicted he would be Aust 5/8 within 18 months.

However as the season progressed he began showing some alarming traits in his game which in my opinion got worse as the season unfolded.

He even became a target in defense as edge backrowers charged straight at him knowing his arm tackles are ineffective .... think Briton Nikora.

He is about to paid like a superstar which quite frankly makes me nervous.
That's what happens when you only have one focal point of attack. They get targeted so they are not as effective with the ball and lose confidence/get knocked up. Just like that whole edge leaves it up to Burton in attack they also don't help in defence when numbers are getting run at him.
[/QUOTE]
Strongly disagree.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I like Burton's big bombs and general kicking game, I'd be more comfortable losing him and paying 1M on Mitchell Moses (who also has a very good kicking game) than offering anything more than this 750k a season offer....
Thank god you’re not in charge

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Multiple extra defenders slide over to Burton knowing that they're going there and there's no threat on the right"

That just does not happen .... it would be football suicide. You can't have players sliding to the extent you are suggesting, no one would last 5 mins.

I was as high on Burton as you .... even predicted he would be Aust 5/8 within 18 months.

However as the season progressed he began showing some alarming traits in his game which in my opinion got worse as the season unfolded.

He even became a target in defense as edge backrowers charged straight at him knowing his arm tackles are ineffective .... think Briton Nikora.

He is about to paid like a superstar which quite frankly makes me nervous.
Superstar 5/8s are making a lot more then 750k.
[/QUOTE]

I have heard it's 850k / 4 years. Top money for a 5/8 with major flaws in his game at present.

We wanna start preying he lives up to his potential.

Cannot afford to fark this up at this stage of our rebuild.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD, it was 2 weeks ago. Even she is thinking “C’mon… move on already”.

P.S get rid of Chucky and give that hottie Kate a go..
I only discovered earlier today(when reflecting on wtf we had a public holiday)that the funeral was on Monday :tearsofjoy:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No they're not, there's only 3 that earn more than 750k right now. Halfbacks and Fullbacks earn much more.
Based on current contracts perhaps. But if the cap jumps by couple of mil as expected, and in 4 years time when burton is still under contract, 750k wont seem too much.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Superstar 5/8s are making a lot more then 750k.
I have heard it's 850k / 4 years. Top money for a 5/8 with major flaws in his game at present.

We wanna start preying he lives up to his potential.

Cannot afford to fark this up at this stage of our rebuild.
[/QUOTE]
I guess we will see how he percorms with bwtter players and coaching staff around him. Then we will hopefully know how much he is actually getting paid!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I only discovered earlier today(when reflecting on wtf we had a public holiday)that the funeral was on Monday :tearsofjoy:
Victoria has a public holiday today, due to the grandfinal being played tomorrow. I know, go fucking figure. So the reat of the country had to compromise and make the public holiday yesterday. I am struggling to go back to work today. Would have much tathered a long weekend. Instead victorians get a 4 day one.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye was a great talent that was poorly developed yet still went on to represent QLD. He would've been a star if he accepted the Storm offer and not have been des balled.
Mbye was a dud. He talked more about his potential than he showed. Got picked for QLD until they also realised he was a dud.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mbye was a dud. He talked more about his potential than he showed. Got picked for QLD until they also realised he was a dud.
Don’t forget that he was paid more than burtons rumoured figure when the cap jumps on a lower cap and I mean hell he was signed on that $ as a 5/8 so I guess another name to add to the list marley!!

I also love how he gets a wrap for origin jersey meanwhile burton will have a wardrobe full of them compared to mbye token one. No doubt burton to have a bunch of international for Australia to.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a joke right?
Nico Hynes will challenge Ben Hunt for Dally M player of the year this Wed.

Burton won't even be in the mix.

This age comparison is the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. We arent comparing players for age, we are comparing their effectiveness in the halves. Burton isn't even 1/10th the halve Hynes is. It's not even a comparison.
NO JOKE!!!

JUST MY OPINION.

Burton has achieved more at the age of 22 than Nicho Hynes has - and he has done it in a far inferior team.
Imagine Burton this year in a team that Nicho had at 22.
Sharks this year had the easiest run of all 16 NRL teams & Hynes played very, very well.

Without a doubt in my mind the X-Factor in Burton is Far greater than the X-Factor in Hynes.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hynes is a great player - But I'd still take Burton every day of the week.

As I said Marki, just my opinion - but I respect your opinion also.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
That's what happens when you only have one focal point of attack. They get targeted so they are not as effective with the ball and lose confidence/get knocked up. Just like that whole edge leaves it up to Burton in attack they also don't help in defence when numbers are getting run at him.
Strongly disagree.
[/QUOTE]
Which part specifically?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton is so mid, Dearden clear