Rumour Brandon smith done deal

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with this, what's the alternative make it say 1 June in the year of contract expiry? that still leaves 9 months but likely never will there be early releases sought.
There's a reason why it was brought in and is there. I don't know how you would be able to manage your salary cap if players had to wait until their contract ran down to negotiate with other clubs (this would also hinder the chances of bottom teams signing players?). There'd be less certainty imo. I think this is the best we're going to get.

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny he comes out gushing for a team he won’t play for next year and it’s fine. He shat on an organisation that nurtured him into a star, no problem.

Kikau wears a dog polo for 2 mins and doesn’t make a comment about the dogs or panthers. And there are 2 weeks of articles about it :p
Agreed. Kikau was just secretly trying on the colours and wasn't being disrespectful at all compared to Smith.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There's a reason why it was brought in and is there. I don't know how you would be able to manage your salary cap if players had to wait until their contract ran down to negotiate with other clubs (this would also hinder the chances of bottom teams signing players?). There'd be less certainty imo. I think this is the best we're going to get.
Sorry Brad but I've never understood this argument.. NFL, NBA, MLB teams and players seem to be able to manage under the same circumstances while also having to deal with a rookie draft which complicates things further.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry Brad but I've never understood this argument.. NFL, NBA, MLB teams and players seem to be able to manage under the same circumstances while also having to deal with a rookie draft which complicates things further.
I’ll give it one more try in an attempt to explain why that comparison is irrelevant.

Let’s use the NBA as an example, each team is allowed 15 contracted players, the current Salary Cap is ~USD110m with a tax free threshold of ~USD136m, as a result the average NBA player is on ~USD9m a season. That’s around AUD13m, which is around 30% more than an NRL teams entire salary cap for 30 players.

If a player moves from say the Miami Heat to the Boston Celtics then him and his family (up to 20 of them) will be picked up in the Celtics private jet which is an Airbus A320 and flown to Boston with their belongings.

1638214847232.jpeg
They will then be accommodated in one of the Celtics 6 luxury houses or appartments for as long as they like, or until they find a house of their own to rent or buy. Or until the player is traded to another team, which if he is a free agent can be after 3 months, and that can happen 3 times in an NBA season. If he does decide to rent or buy then 1 of the 6 lawyers on Celtics retainer will look after the legal issues and 1 of the 8 accountants on retainer will look after any financial matters such as arranging a mortgage with the Celtics sponsor TD BankNorth and Centurian (Black) Amex cards for his immediate family. The Celtics will also provide a fleet of cars for his extended family (from Kia), a nanny for his kids, a tutor, private schooling, a driver for his wife, gardener, cleaner, chef, etc etc. If any of the players family want to visit relatives or friends they have unlimited first class flights on Jet Blue (another Celtics sponsor). Should any of his family be feeling unwell they have access to any the team‘s medical staff of 12 and if needed hospital care at the New England Baptist Hospital (yep, another Celtics sponsor).

Basically the Celtics will remove any and all external issues from his life so that the only thing the player has to worry about is playing basketball.

Now compare that to an NRL player moving from say the Cowboys to a Sydney team on an average $330k or the minimum $130k and basically having to fend for himself.

That‘s why comparing player contract signings between the NRL and US sports is meaningless.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ll give it one more try in an attempt to explain why that comparison is irrelevant.

Let’s use the NBA as an example, each team is allowed 15 contracted players, the current Salary Cap is ~USD110m with a tax free threshold of ~USD136m, as a result the average NBA player is on ~USD9m a season. That’s around AUD13m, which is around 30% more than an NRL teams entire salary cap for 30 players.

If a player moves from say the Miami Heat to the Boston Celtics then him and his family (up to 20 of them) will be picked up in the Celtics private jet which is an Airbus A320 and flown to Boston with their belongings.

View attachment 34500
They will then be accommodated in one of the Celtics 6 luxury houses or appartments for as long as they like, or until they find a house of their own to rent or buy. Or until the player is traded to another team, which if he is a free agent can be after 3 months, and that can happen 3 times in an NBA season. If he does decide to rent or buy then 1 of the 6 lawyers on Celtics retainer will look after the legal issues and 1 of the 8 accountants on retainer will look after any financial matters such as arranging a mortgage with the Celtics sponsor TD BankNorth and Centurian (Black) Amex cards for his immediate family. The Celtics will also provide a fleet of cars for his extended family (from Kia), a nanny for his kids, a tutor, private schooling, a driver for his wife, gardener, cleaner, chef, etc etc. If any of the players family want to visit relatives or friends they have unlimited first class flights on Jet Blue (another Celtics sponsor). Should any of his family be feeling unwell they have access to any the team‘s medical staff of 12 and if needed hospital care at the New England Baptist Hospital (yep, another Celtics sponsor).

Basically the Celtics will remove any and all external issues from his life so that the only thing the player has to worry about is playing basketball.

Now compare that to an NRL player moving from say the Cowboys to a Sydney team on an average $330k or the minimum $130k and basically having to fend for himself.

That‘s why comparing player contracts signings between the NRL and US sports is meaningless.

Always a Bulldog
It's not irrelevant at all. On the contrary, a lot of your points are irrelevant. You can try and explain it all you want but your argument goes out the window when every second NRL player breaks their contract early and moves mid season these days. They don't seem to have problems finding accommodation and schools etc when it suits them.. Like your example above, the NRL clubs help the players sort all of those details out within weeks just on a lesser scale.. There's no logical explanation for rule.

Whatever positives/reasons you want to mention are far outweighed by the negatives of:

- Players affecting the relationships with their current coach and teammates
- Being resented by the fanbase for the last season if they've already signed elsewhere
- The media circus it creates which can provide unwanted distractions
- The risk clubs take by signing them that far in advance when they could easily get serious injuries between that time which often would make them not worth what they signed for like in the McInness and Blake Green situations...
- The players form often turns to shit as they're distracted and have little incentive to play as hard as they've already secured their future..

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

View attachment 34500

That‘s why comparing player contract signings between the NRL and US sports is meaningless.

Always a Bulldog
Pretty similar treatment to what Brandon will receive from uncle Nick really :tearsofjoy:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Speaking of NBA imagine the anti tampering laws being applied in this situation. Geez. If you say you think a player is good you cop a 50k fine ool

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Speaking of NBA imagine the anti tampering laws being applied in this situation. Geez. If you say you think a player is good you cop a 50k fine ool
Haha and that's the way it should be.. I can't stand when coaches and players in the NRL talk openly in the media about players from other clubs and nothing is done about it.

We all know tampering and talks still take place in the American leagues because once free agency opens, a tonne of players sign on the first day.. So it will always happen to a degree. But at least they're strict on public comments and when they have their free agency is much better and less disruptive than players signing 15 plus months out..

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Haha and that's the way it should be.. I can't stand when coaches and players in the NRL talk openly in the media about players from other clubs and nothing is done about it.

We all know tampering and talks still take place in the American leagues because once free agency opens, a tonne of players sign on the first day.. So it will always happen to a degree. But at least they're strict on public comments and when they have their free agency is much better and less disruptive than players signing 15 plus months out..
100% should be implemented. And like you said Ofcourse it goes on in a roundabout way, but the rules ensure it’s 99% private, no idiots like B smith making an arse of himself and his team mates.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
To me the issue is "players" publicly promoting or talking up their next club whilst still being contracted to and playing for another club - or clubs making any comment about a new signing until the player has finalised their commitments to the current club.
What media, managers etc say or speculate is irrelevant.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's not irrelevant at all. On the contrary, a lot of your points are irrelevant. You can try and explain it all you want but your argument goes out the window when every second NRL player breaks their contract early and moves mid season these days. They don't seem to have problems finding accommodation and schools etc when it suits them.. Like your example above, the NRL clubs help the players sort all of those details out within weeks just on a lesser scale.. There's no logical explanation for rule.

Whatever positives/reasons you want to mention are far outweighed by the negatives of:

- Players affecting the relationships with their current coach and teammates
- Being resented by the fanbase for the last season if they've already signed elsewhere
- The media circus it creates which can provide unwanted distractions
- The risk clubs take by signing them that far in advance when they could easily get serious injuries between that time which often would make them not worth what they signed for like in the McInness and Blake Green situations...
- The players form often turns to shit as they're distracted and have little incentive to play as hard as they've already secured their future.
"Every second player breaks their contract", that's 16 teams x 30 players / 2 = 240 players have broken their contracts in the last year. Strangely enough I can think of 1 player who has actually broken their contract. I do recall a couple having been released by their club (DWZ being one of them) but even that stretch is still a long long way from "every second player".

FWIW it's not 15 months from 1st November to 31st October, it's 12 months until, for example, Kikau starts working for us. Pre season training is still work, employment, the date from when their old contract ends and their new contract starts is the only thing that matters.

There are number of very logical reasons for the rule, the main one being that the alternatives are even worse. Imagine if it was 1st July and players involved in the finals were revealed to have signed for another team that they are playing in the finals and they will turn up at training in around 6 weeks. That's what used to happen and the screaming from the supporters that traitors were tanking in the finals. At least with the current notice the players gets to prove that he is giving his best (eg; Burton, who didn't exactly "turn to shit").

As for after the GF, I don't know about you but my experience in selling and buying a house is that it takes a fark load longer than 6 weeks. Shit the loan application process often takes longer than 6 weeks. Finding somewhere to live, renting, can often take longer than 6 weeks, one of my employees has been looking for ~12 weeks without success.

The NBA teams do what they do for their new players because they know how much moving can disrupt their playing, the domestic stuff puts them off their game until it is resolved. NRL players are the same, just that they only get paid a pittance in comparison. That's the basis of the NRLPA and whether you or I agree with it is irrelevant, it is the players stance and they are in better position to judge their personal situation than anyone else.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"Every second player breaks their contract", that's 16 teams x 30 players / 2 = 240 players have broken their contracts in the last year. Strangely enough I can think of 1 player who has actually broken their contract. I do recall a couple having been released by their club (DWZ being one of them) but even that stretch is still a long long way from "every second player".

FWIW it's not 15 months from 1st November to 31st October, it's 12 months until, for example, Kikau starts working for us. Pre season training is still work, employment, the date from when their old contract ends and their new contract starts is the only thing that matters.

There are number of very logical reasons for the rule, the main one being that the alternatives are even worse. Imagine if it was 1st July and players involved in the finals were revealed to have signed for another team that they are playing in the finals and they will turn up at training in around 6 weeks. That's what used to happen and the screaming from the supporters that traitors were tanking in the finals. At least with the current notice the players gets to prove that he is giving his best (eg; Burton, who didn't exactly "turn to shit").

As for after the GF, I don't know about you but my experience in selling and buying a house is that it takes a fark load longer than 6 weeks. Shit the loan application process often takes longer than 6 weeks. Finding somewhere to live, renting, can often take longer than 6 weeks, one of my employees has been looking for ~12 weeks without success.

The NBA teams do what they do for their new players because they know how much moving can disrupt their playing, the domestic stuff puts them off their game until it is resolved. NRL players are the same, just that they only get paid a pittance in comparison. That's the basis of the NRLPA and whether you or I agree with it is irrelevant, it is the players stance and they are in better position to judge their personal situation than anyone else.

Always a Bulldog
Players being released early.. It happens all of the time. Why does your argument about not finding accommodation etc not apply to all of the players that change clubs mid season? Just answer that one question.

Do you think the current setup of B.Smith, Kikau, Mahoney etc signing for a rival a year in advance and pissing off their current team and fans is good for the game?

The RLPA's argument doesn't hold water like yours doesn't as they're allowing dozens of players to change clubs mid season. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If it's so impossible for them to make arrangements, then ban all mid season moves..

How did TPJ arrange to move from Brisbane to Penrith within a few weeks? Was he sleeping on the streets? Most players rent and don't buy houses where they're playing as they know they change clubs so often.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Players being released early.. It happens all of the time. Why does your argument about not finding accommodation etc not apply to all of the players that change clubs mid season? Just answer that one question.
Simple, in DWZ's case he moved back to live with his family. Just lucky that they lived in Warriors' Territory.

Do you think the current setup of B.Smith, Kikau, Mahoney etc signing for a rival a year in advance and pissing off their current team and fans is good for the game?
No, but the alternatives are worse.

The RLPA's argument doesn't hold water like yours doesn't as they're allowing dozens of players to change clubs mid season. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If it's so impossible for them to make arrangements, then ban all mid season moves..
That's why the 30 June deadline is in place.

How did TPJ arrange to move from Brisbane to Penrith within a few weeks? Was he sleeping on the streets? Most players rent and don't buy houses where they're playing as they know they change clubs so often.
He was on his own, no family and he lived in the Penrith share accommodation (that Nathan Cleary vacated) with 2 other players. He is currently looking at buying in the Shire, where a lot of Bulldogs players live, but property is not easy to come by and he has missed out on a few (my son's best friend is a real estate agent in the area).

Always a Bulldog

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Simple, in DWZ's case he moved back to live with his family. Just lucky that they lived in Warriors' Territory.

No, but the alternatives are worse.

That's why the 30 June deadline is in place.

He was on his own, no family and he lived in the Penrith share accommodation (that Nathan Cleary vacated) with 2 other players. He is currently looking at buying in the Shire, where a lot of Bulldogs players live, but property is not easy to come by and he has missed out on a few (my son's best friend is a real estate agent in the area).

Always a Bulldog
The shire property market is fucked