Rumour Brandon smith done deal

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we're a very good chance of signing him this November for 2023. We wouldn't have signed Cook if we were any chance of getting Smith for 2022

What happens though if we sign Cheese and Cook has a big 2022 ? Smith might find himself in a similar situation to what he is now at the Storm

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we're a very good chance of signing him this November for 2023. We wouldn't have signed Cook if we were any chance of getting Smith for 2022

What happens though if we sign Cheese and Cook has a big 2022 ? Smith might find himself in a similar situation to what he is now at the Storm
1% chance that scenario happens.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So your saying there’s a possibility?!?
That Cook is anywhere near Smith. It's a possibility but a very very very very very low one...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If his mind genuinely hasn't been made up yet, I think it will be a lot easier for Cheese to leave the Storm if the win the Premiership this year.

If the win it without Cam smith then Cheese can feel that he's done his bit to give back to the club he thinks he owes - he wont owe them anything if he can help do this.

We all know that if he stays with the Storm, it would most likely be a 20% discounted contract on what is on offer elsewhere.
So for example it would be like-

Another club offering $850k for 4 years
Storm Offering $680k for 4 years (although I think it would only be an extra 3 after 2022) I cant see Storm offering more than that.

The difference would be $170k over 4 years for a total of $680k

The difference = $680k which would be equivalent to Brandon forgoing the income for a whole extra season.

I got no clue what he will do, but one I know I be doing & that will be cheering on the Storm in the 2021 Finals.

GO STORM!!!

(Gee's I never thought I'd be doing that)
Conversely if they lose he won't feel that going to another club is a step down, they won't be reigning premiers so much easier for him to walk away knowing that they aren't invincible and that he can win premierships elsewhere. If they did win there would be the temptation to stock around for the 3peat, but if they lose there is no such attraction. He can ask for an early release for next year without feeling like he is going to miss out, they already have.

The temptation for all players is to go to and to stay with Melbourne as they believe it gives them the best chance of winning a premiership, so the best thing for us getting BSmith is for Melbourne to lose, lose everything, get thrashed, smashed to oblivion.

Always a Bulldog

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO: He is either staying with the Storm or going to the new team, where he can name his price.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Conversely if they lose he won't feel that going to another club is a step down, they won't be reigning premiers so much easier for him to walk away knowing that they aren't invincible and that he can win premierships elsewhere. If they did win there would be the temptation to stock around for the 3peat, but if they lose there is no such attraction. He can ask for an early release for next year without feeling like he is going to miss out, they already have.

The temptation for all players is to go to and to stay with Melbourne as they believe it gives them the best chance of winning a premiership, so the best thing for us getting BSmith is for Melbourne to lose, lose everything, get thrashed, smashed to oblivion.

Always a Bulldog
I still think the Storm would want a player swap though to release him early. They want him to stay beyond 2023 even so I can't see them releasing him early for 2022. I he signs for 2023 though (after winning a comp this year) he could even get another premiership before he comes over

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m kind of getting scared that we accidentally might’ve signed Lachlan lewis in disguise for next year…
Nah, the hair is not as beautiful....nor is he carrying a speaker......

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I’m the only one who doesn’t completely hate JMK he’s certainly not the best and I don’t want him as our hooker of the future but more often than not he does his job in defence offers a little bit in the running game and has improved in both his service and kicking from dummy half I’m okay with him being the hooker for the upcoming season but after that I would like them to expolore other options if they’re available

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think I’m the only one who doesn’t completely hate JMK he’s certainly not the best and I don’t want him as our hooker of the future but more often than not he does his job in defence offers a little bit in the running game and has improved in both his service and kicking from dummy half I’m okay with him being the hooker for the upcoming season but after that I would like them to expolore other options if they’re available
When you compare JMK to other hookers in the NRL he's one of the worst. We need to compare our players to other players at other clubs not within our team.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you that there is some upside
to JMK, we just haven’t really ever played a structure that suits him. Plus we
haven’t been a side that easily makes metres forward with the quick play the balls . Hopefully our forward pack next year can provide this and I feel it would bring out his running game .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When you compare JMK to other hookers in the NRL he's one of the worst. We need to compare our players to other players at other clubs not within our team.
The problems with doing that are endless, mostly there is “the grass is greener” thinking, believing that players in other teams are always better than ours, when quite frankly many are not. This is caused by several factors, firstly who watches every other team as closely as they watch ours? Looks for every little mistake and then amplifies it 100 fold on TK, that’s special treatment reserved for our players.

Secondly who watches the highlights of others teams and players, and believes that they do that sort of stuff all the time in every game. While their shit decisions and rubbish plays don’t feature on the highlights so they don’t get seen, don’t get amplified, let alone even mentioned, here on TK.

Thirdly, and most commonly, we came last so every single player is therefore guaranteed to be shit, without exception, should be discarded, thrown out at the earliest opportunity.

Lastly, hookers are made to look good by the players around them, when they run off the back of a fast play the ball, how much is them and how much is related to the players giving them that opportunity with the fast play the ball. Throwing passes to players running into gaps, how much is them and how much is the player who lines up and has the skills and awareness to run into a gap.

For the first time is his career at hooker JMK actually has some players who can give him that fast play the ball, some go forward, and players that can identify a defence weakness and exploit it. Like many, let’s judge him next season based on when he has decent players to feed off and to.

Always a Bulldog

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree but you also have to compare him to off contract dummy halves in which he’s probably better than anyone available have to put up with him until we develop one or sign one who’s better

Malla

Reaction score
Update I have been given.

Smiths manager really wants him to leave Storm to earn more money elsewhere.. the money he would get at another club (us for example) is almost a third more than what the Storm can offer.

He really wants to stay at Melbourne.

See what happens but I would steer clear from him. The fact his heart would not be in it would make it a waste of money. We want people that want to play for us, not signing on for the money.

I have also been told the Munster stuff is not BS, it's true. Lets see what happens.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update I have been given.

Smiths manager really wants him to leave Storm to earn more money elsewhere.. the money he would get at another club (us for example) is almost a third more than what the Storm can offer.

He really wants to stay at Melbourne.

See what happens but I would steer clear from him. The fact his heart would not be in it would make it a waste of money. We want people that want to play for us, not signing on for the money.

I have also been told the Munster stuff is not BS, it's true. Lets see what happens.
The cheese ship has sailed i think, been going for far too long now and the fact he doesnt seem interested in leaving Melbourne solidifies that he more than likely wont be at Belmore next year. Frankly, thats fine. If his heart isnt in it then i'd prefer he didnt come just to get paid, we've had enough of players like that (Napa) over the last few years.
Wouldnt mind the Munster thing and he'd be an experienced half next to Burton and would lift the team but worried about the price tag that may come with it. Can we afford him?