Rumour Brandon smith done deal

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update I have been given.

Smiths manager really wants him to leave Storm to earn more money elsewhere.. the money he would get at another club (us for example) is almost a third more than what the Storm can offer.

He really wants to stay at Melbourne.

See what happens but I would steer clear from him. The fact his heart would not be in it would make it a waste of money. We want people that want to play for us, not signing on for the money.

I have also been told the Munster stuff is not BS, it's true. Lets see what happens.
Smith should see us make the 8. Munster would make us top 4. Worth the extra 200-400K a season over Smith

How do we pay ? We should have around 300K left over from Elliott after signing Asiata. If RFM medically retires that's another 500K. Sell Flano and that's another 200K or more. Could sell Allan also or Thompson if needed.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problems with doing that are endless, mostly there is “the grass is greener” thinking, believing that players in other teams are always better than ours, when quite frankly many are not. This is caused by several factors, firstly who watches every other team as closely as they watch ours? Looks for every little mistake and then amplifies it 100 fold on TK, that’s special treatment reserved for our players.

Secondly who watches the highlights of others teams and players, and believes that they do that sort of stuff all the time in every game. While their shit decisions and rubbish plays don’t feature on the highlights so they don’t get seen, don’t get amplified, let alone even mentioned, here on TK.

Thirdly, and most commonly, we came last so every single player is therefore guaranteed to be shit, without exception, should be discarded, thrown out at the earliest opportunity.

Lastly, hookers are made to look good by the players around them, when they run off the back of a fast play the ball, how much is them and how much is related to the players giving them that opportunity with the fast play the ball. Throwing passes to players running into gaps, how much is them and how much is the player who lines up and has the skills and awareness to run into a gap.

For the first time is his career at hooker JMK actually has some players who can give him that fast play the ball, some go forward, and players that can identify a defence weakness and exploit it. Like many, let’s judge him next season based on when he has decent players to feed off and to.

Always a Bulldog
Totally agree. Blows my mind the criticism JMK cops. FANTASTIC defender with pace. At worst he is a very good number 14.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update I have been given.

Smiths manager really wants him to leave Storm to earn more money elsewhere.. the money he would get at another club (us for example) is almost a third more than what the Storm can offer.

He really wants to stay at Melbourne.

See what happens but I would steer clear from him. The fact his heart would not be in it would make it a waste of money. We want people that want to play for us, not signing on for the money.

I have also been told the Munster stuff is not BS, it's true. Lets see what happens.
Yeah if Smith doesn't want to leave the Storm (which is understandable) then I don't want him either. We've already had far too many of those types of players in the past....like Napa

The Munster news is shocking TBH. It sounded like BS when I first heard it and it still does. He has said he would like to move back to QLD so I don't see why he would sign with us when the offers he would get from the new Brisbane side will be similar to ours. Not to mention we've already signed a superstar 5/8. What the hell is Gus up to?

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Battling to wrap my head around a Munster deal. Blokes on a mil year until the end of 2023. In what universe are we looking at purchasing a then 30 year old five-eighth for a team that’s 2 seasons away. Ponnisi would surely laugh at any request for release before that.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The problems with doing that are endless, mostly there is “the grass is greener” thinking, believing that players in other teams are always better than ours, when quite frankly many are not. This is caused by several factors, firstly who watches every other team as closely as they watch ours? Looks for every little mistake and then amplifies it 100 fold on TK, that’s special treatment reserved for our players.

Secondly who watches the highlights of others teams and players, and believes that they do that sort of stuff all the time in every game. While their shit decisions and rubbish plays don’t feature on the highlights so they don’t get seen, don’t get amplified, let alone even mentioned, here on TK.

Thirdly, and most commonly, we came last so every single player is therefore guaranteed to be shit, without exception, should be discarded, thrown out at the earliest opportunity.

Lastly, hookers are made to look good by the players around them, when they run off the back of a fast play the ball, how much is them and how much is related to the players giving them that opportunity with the fast play the ball. Throwing passes to players running into gaps, how much is them and how much is the player who lines up and has the skills and awareness to run into a gap.

For the first time is his career at hooker JMK actually has some players who can give him that fast play the ball, some go forward, and players that can identify a defence weakness and exploit it. Like many, let’s judge him next season based on when he has decent players to feed off and to.

Always a Bulldog
I've already told you before I watch 95% of all NRL games. Stop giving me that crap. There is no argument you can make that suggests JMK is not a bottom 4 hooker in the NRL (being generous), one of the worst, and he isn't a player with potential. He's in an important position where he's supposed to make players around him better... I can judge him before and after but no reason to be optimistic now.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree but you also have to compare him to off contract dummy halves in which he’s probably better than anyone available have to put up with him until we develop one or sign one who’s better
That's true but we've needed a hooker for 3-4 years and almost every hooker has been off contract during that time. JMK has proven in that time he isn't good enough. He's one of our biggest issues in the team.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
A player like Liddle at the Tigers who's very similar to JMK. Last year with Harry Grant the Tigers were competitive in every game except 2 that he played (and those 2 were against the Storm and Panthers). This year with Liddle/Simpkin they're a basket case. A player like Brandon Smith will have a similar affect to us imo.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true but we've needed a hooker for 3-4 years and almost every hooker has been off contract during that time. JMK has proven in that time he isn't good enough. He's one of our biggest issues in the team.
Also very true mate

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Smith should see us make the 8. Munster would make us top 4. Worth the extra 200-400K a season over Smith

How do we pay ? We should have around 300K left over from Elliott after signing Asiata. If RFM medically retires that's another 500K. Sell Flano and that's another 200K or more. Could sell Allan also or Thompson if needed.
Just because you're selling something doesn't mean that there will be buyers.
Also these so called buyers wont be taking these players at full price they will want half price or some sort of discount. :tearsofjoy:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you’re selling 4 or 5 players you need to replace them with 4 or 5 players. Obviously some on minimum wage, so the full cap amount that you free up would not be available to use on a single player

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I've already told you before I watch 95% of all NRL games. Stop giving me that crap. There is no argument you can make that suggests JMK is not a bottom 4 hooker in the NRL (being generous), one of the worst, and he isn't a player with potential. He's in an important position where he's supposed to make players around him better... I can judge him before and after but no reason to be optimistic now.
You obviously have you biased glasses on when you are watching those 95% of games. How about an independent view;

The regular season is done and dusted, and now it's time to look back at how some of the great individuals in the NRL performed in 2021.
Brandon Smith, Damien Cook and Reed Mahoney all had stellar seasons at hooker, while some others struggled to make an impact for their side.
HONOURABLE MENTION: Jeremy Marshall-King - Bulldogs
Breaking our own mould a little bit here, but given the Canterbury hooker played a handful of games and nobody else locked down the spot, as well as the fact one club has two elite hookers, we'll chuck Marshall-King as an 'honourable mention'.

The 25-year-old looks set to be the long-term hooker at the Bulldogs, and the side look a lot better with him on the field.

Solid as a rock and crafty in attack when given the opportunity, Marshall-King will only shoot up these rankings in 2022 with the club welcoming in some big-name forwards and classy outside backs.

Always a Bulldog

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battling to wrap my head around a Munster deal. Blokes on a mil year until the end of 2023. In what universe are we looking at purchasing a then 30 year old five-eighth for a team that’s 2 seasons away. Ponnisi would surely laugh at any request for release before that.
If it were to happen, I also wonder how having two left footed / left sided halves (with Burton) would work….

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Deary me, does this bloke think JMK is our long term hooker? The guy is and always will be a stop-gap player who somehow fell through the cracks at our club and found himself in first grade for like 3-4 years because of the horrendous salary cap situation we were in. Solid NSW cup option

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FMD whatta roundabout this shit is... recently we have,

Re-signed JMK for 2 years but i'm of the he is not the answer long term view
SIgn a promising 2nd/3rd stringer from Souths
Also sign a promising kid from under Gold Coast's noses
Possibly signing Segeyaro on train and trial
AND today i read we're potentially willing to offer a 3 yr deal to Koroiasu if he leaves as of Nov 1

Fkn LOL, WTF and WOW

Oh yeah and maybe some finality filtering in that cheese wants to stay at the Storm which i'm far more ok with than him joining the fucken Rooters.
PS still might change his mind after he gets that second ring in a row in less than 2 weeks...

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man that interweb is good for confirming what's right & what's not. Smith off to the Tigers according to the oracle.View attachment 30511
There is no chance at all that Melbourne lose Hughes & Smith to Tigers (at best they land 1 marquee) & Broncos snare Paps…quite simply, Melbourne don’t loose 2 spine players…. Let alone 3.

I can understand there being some truth to Munster, perhaps he’s getting on Bellamy’s nerves and he’s not been in the type of form we’re used to seeing. But yeah, Tigers would have to throw ridiculous money to land a single marquee.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no chance at all that Melbourne lose Hughes & Smith to Tigers (at best they land 1 marquee) & Broncos snare Paps…quite simply, Melbourne don’t loose 2 spine players…. Let alone 3.

I can understand there being some truth to Munster, perhaps he’s getting on Bellamy’s nerves and he’s not been in the type of form we’re used to seeing. But yeah, Tigers would have to throw ridiculous money to land a single marquee.
Mate that tweet 110% = TOTAL BULLSHIT

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You obviously have you biased glasses on when you are watching those 95% of games. How about an independent view;

The regular season is done and dusted, and now it's time to look back at how some of the great individuals in the NRL performed in 2021.
Brandon Smith, Damien Cook and Reed Mahoney all had stellar seasons at hooker, while some others struggled to make an impact for their side.
HONOURABLE MENTION: Jeremy Marshall-King - Bulldogs
Breaking our own mould a little bit here, but given the Canterbury hooker played a handful of games and nobody else locked down the spot, as well as the fact one club has two elite hookers, we'll chuck Marshall-King as an 'honourable mention'.

The 25-year-old looks set to be the long-term hooker at the Bulldogs, and the side look a lot better with him on the field.

Solid as a rock and crafty in attack when given the opportunity, Marshall-King will only shoot up these rankings in 2022 with the club welcoming in some big-name forwards and classy outside backs.

Always a Bulldog
You're biased, not me.