News Brandon Smith breaks silence on Melbourne Storm future

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
That's your valuation, not a realistic one that represents the NZ Hooker, who has been the best DH this year and has been one of the 2 most important players in the Storm squad - a team that will more than likely win the premiership this year.
No, it's not my valuation, it's the valuation of the very same team that will likely win the premiership this year. Smith's performance this year has been so dependent on Bellamy he should pay him royalties.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a gut feeling he will stay with the Storm, he's a player that the Storm won't let go, they'll find the extra cash he will be wanting.
It's Melbourne, I'm sure they can find the extra Cap space somehow, if they really want to. But it would mean letting go of someone that they may well want to keep, they they need and have to replace with a minimum contract player. A big question they have to answer is will they want to that to keep both Grant and BSmith, or would the team be better with the Cap spent on just one of them.

The really big question for BSmith to answer is how much does he want to be guaranteed to play hooker with Grant still there. He knows that Grant's contract option for 2023 is mutual, so both the player and the club have to agree to the extra year. Frankly I don't see Grant exercising his half of the option for the current contract value OR for the 1 extra year. He will either leave at the end of 2022 or accept an extended contract at a much higher value. I think this is a much bigger question for BSmith than simply accepting less money to stay.

1st November is only 5 weeks away.

Always a Bulldog

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No, it's not my valuation, it's the valuation of the very same team that will likely win the premiership this year. Smith's performance this year has been so dependent on Bellamy he should pay him royalties.
Do you have evidence to support your claim they've only offered him $600k?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And surely Olam and KBrom get upgraded as well
Olam I mentioned, KBromwich has a player option for 2023 so that will be interesting. Especially if JBromwich leaves at the end of his contract in 2022.

Always a Bulldog

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Do you have evidence to support your claim they've only offered him $600k?
I didn't say they've only offered him 600k, I said their offer was < 600k..... but no, I have no firm evidence....just a common sense guess. If sources are claiming clubs are trying to pry him away for between 700-800k, it would stand to reason Melbourne's offer was at least 50k below the lowest point of that ceiling. Not to mention my valuation of the roster storm have (including another high priced hooker).

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyway, now that you have brought Elliott up, do you have any evidence his most recent indiscretion would have had any negative impact on sponsorship had the club kept him? No sponsor is going to bail on a club because a player gets thrown out of a restaurant for fooling around in a toilet.... players do worse shit all the time and it doesn't have a negative impact on sponsorship. "Parting ways" with Elliott wasn't about sponsorship. It was a business decision. The new administration felt he was on overs and possibly that he was offside with some of the playing group. I don't think it had anything to do with sponsors. Our biggest sponsor actually publicly argued he should be retained.
It was reported, and shared in this forum (link), that sponsorship was a factor. It was also a problem in 2018 as well (link). Also, I don't know that it is confirmed if Laundy is our biggest sponsor, or merely our loudest. If as a whole the sponsors wanted Elliott to stay, he probably would have stayed.

Tries scored by Adam Elliott (whole career, starting in 2016, which is 6 seasons ago): 10
Tries scored by The Cheese (this season): 11

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It was reported, and shared in this forum (link), that sponsorship was a factor. It was also a problem in 2018 as well (link). Also, I don't know that it is confirmed if Laundy is our biggest sponsor, or merely our loudest. If as a whole the sponsors wanted Elliott to stay, he probably would have stayed.

Tries scored by Adam Elliott (whole career, starting in 2016, which is 6 seasons ago): 10
Tries scored by The Cheese (this season): 11
Oh wow, a vague telegraph article citing unnamed sponsors who had not yet agreed to terms with the club, with no quotes attributed to either the club or anyone associated with these mystery companies. Compelling. The mad monday article doesn't even make specific mention of Elliott. A logical person would have to deduce Fine, the players who threw up and passed out in the street and the fact club officials were on hand and openly encouraging the shenanigans may have factored into decision making. Not to mention that murmurs at the time were pretty strong that Jaycar had been looking for an out in the first place and the incident just afforded them a convenient opportunity.

Yet again, a ridiculous false equivalence, PD. Hookers probably expected to score more tries than backrowers....and hookers who play for a team that is consistently among the game's top point scorers would definitely be expected to score more than a backrower who plays or played for a rudderless team that has struggled to average 10ppg

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh wow, a vague telegraph article citing unnamed sponsors who had not yet agreed to terms with the club, with no quotes attributed to either the club or anyone associated with these mystery companies. Compelling. The mad monday article doesn't even make specific mention of Elliott. A logical person would have to deduce Fine, the players who threw up and passed out in the street and the fact club officials were on hand and openly encouraging the shenanigans may have factored into decision making. Not to mention that murmurs at the time were pretty strong that Jaycar had been looking for an out in the first place and the incident just afforded them a convenient opportunity.

Yet again, a ridiculous false equivalence, PD. Hookers probably expected to score more tries than backrowers....and hookers who play for a team that is consistently among the game's top point scorers would definitely be expected to score more than a backrower who plays or played for a rudderless team that has struggled to average 10ppg
Pfft, don't be ridiculous, Michael Caryannis is an experienced journo and wouldn't risk printing complete falsehoods.

Smith's tries this year mostly came when he was playing the lock forward role, I have watched at least two games this season and I know that most of his tries were solo efforts, the kind of try that is scored by great players, the kind of try that Mr Kissies in the locked toilet cubicle simply doesn't produce.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't say they've only offered him 600k, I said their offer was < 600k..... but no, I have no firm evidence....just a common sense guess. If sources are claiming clubs are trying to pry him away for between 700-800k, it would stand to reason Melbourne's offer was at least 50k below the lowest point of that ceiling. Not to mention my valuation of the roster storm have (including another high priced hooker).
You said they'd offer him market value of $600k-$650k. That isn't market value, that's a number that you've purported to be all that the Storm will be prepared to offer him.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Pfft, don't be ridiculous, Michael Caryannis is an experienced journo and wouldn't risk printing complete falsehoods.

Smith's tries this year mostly came when he was playing the lock forward role, I have watched at least two games this season and I know that most of his tries were solo efforts, the kind of try that is scored by great players, the kind of try that Mr Kissies in the locked toilet cubicle simply doesn't produce.
Sure....those tries are all on Smith....the overall momentum of the team had nothing to do with 'em. He's good. He's far from great.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
To be fair, Melbourne have a number of strike players which means the opposition has to spread their defenses, hence leaving opportunities to be had and BSmith is very good at spotting opportunities. Stick him in a team with zero strike players like us and there would not be as anywhere near as many opportunities for him to exploit.

Always a Bulldog

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You said they'd offer him market value of $600k-$650k. That isn't market value, that's a number that you've purported to be all that the Storm will be prepared to offer him.
If teams are trying to pry him away for around the 700k mark, Melbourne offering him 6-650k is not an unreasonable deduction. Market value isn't the best term I guess.....it is too dependent on what desperate teams are willing to pay. I'll rephrase - Smith is not worth 700k or above and we would certainly need to offer him 700k at the very least to pry him away.....probably substantially more. 700 is a conservative estimate. Why anyone would want this goose after he just took a public swipe at the club is completely beyond me.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We will produce our own 9,his name is Josh Cook.
Or Ambrosyev.....given the fact we have brought so much young talent to the club, trying to chase Smith for overs would be a fool's errand. We need a halfback and fullback much more than we need a hooker atm.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can guarantee that if Smith found himself in Elliott's position, he wouldn't waive the right to sue.
here we go again..the big difference is he wouldn't get into your dopey boy's position ever so enough now, time put the bottle down lol...your hating on a gun player over a throwaway line that meant nothing and even if it was a dig it is fucking TRUE anyway.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
here we go again..the big difference is he wouldn't get into your dopey boy's position ever so enough now, time put the bottle down lol...your hating on a gun player over a throwaway line that meant nothing and even if it was a dig it is fucking TRUE anyway.
You don't say that about a club you are considering joining if you have the right attitude. Not to mention the bloke was actually rested from a game a month or two ago because he was feeling frustrated. Who does that?

Smith is an overrated player who has looked much better than he actually is this year due to the quality of the roster around him and Bellamy's coaching genius. Not to mention the club would have to pay massive overs to attract him. He isn't coming, he isn't interested in coming and the club would have to pay massive overs to even stand a chance of convincing him to come. Smith to the dogs is not happening. Not in this reality, or any other parallel universe. Time for some of you to show some dignity and stop pining for him like lovestruck schoolgirls.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good to see you have found your new axe to grind mate, my last "bite" and this post will be my only ones.Your last comment that he isn't coming may be the most accurate thing you have said, remarks like he is overrated, plus your estimates of his monetary worth are WAY off and now starting to call him names are just silly even by your phishing standards LOL

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I thought we had accepted Smith isnt coming months ago. So this is all irrelevant nonsense. A 7 is more important to us than a 9 anyway.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Good to see you have found your new axe to grind mate, my last "bite" and this post will be my only ones.Your last comment that he isn't coming may be the most accurate thing you have said, remarks like he is overrated, plus your estimates of his monetary worth are WAY off and now starting to call him names are just silly even by your phishing standards LOL
What should I call a fool who publicly disparages the club? What do you think he is worth? 800k a season? A million?

I'm not 'phishing" at all. He's had one great season playing for an incredible side that is coached by arguably the GOAT and people are talking as if he's Cam Smith and not Brandon. He is not a player we should be moving mountains to try and bring to the club. This is my opinion. 100 percent.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If teams are trying to pry him away for around the 700k mark, Melbourne offering him 6-650k is not an unreasonable deduction. Market value isn't the best term I guess.....it is too dependent on what desperate teams are willing to pay. I'll rephrase - Smith is not worth 700k or above and we would certainly need to offer him 700k at the very least to pry him away.....probably substantially more. 700 is a conservative estimate. Why anyone would want this goose after he just took a public swipe at the club is completely beyond me.
And that's what I'm getting at, where are you getting that he isn't worth $700k from? That's your valuation