News Brandon Smith breaks silence on Melbourne Storm future

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This article reads to me as though he wants Storm to up their offer, the pressure is clearly on them to come close enough to any offers that are tabled on Nov 1.

We have quite a few off contract at the end of 2022. No reason to believe we aren't about to offer a decent sized contract to him for 2023.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He hides behind his jovial personality and jokes but this kent knows exactly what he’s doing. Every chance he gets he subtly tells Melbourne to up their offer by talking about all the outside interest. He’ll go to the highest bidder unless it’s a negligible difference between Melbourne’s offer

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what if any tpa's Laundy has introduced to our new recruits managers, but this is THE test of his worth as our major sponsor. He talked the talk when he first came on board and maybe, just maybe, he's been keeping most of his aces up his sleeve for Smith. The mexicans have got support from the big end of town and I think we'll see who's got the biggest dick.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what if any tpa's Laundy has introduced to our new recruits managers, but this is THE test of his worth as our major sponsor. He talked the talk when he first came on board and maybe, just maybe, he's been keeping most of his aces up his sleeve for Smith. The mexicans have got support from the big end of town and I think we'll see who's got the biggest dick.
Ps. Not to forget rorters either

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His comments are all over the shop, hard to get a read, a mixture of his manager telling him what to say, his pisstake personality, consciousness of potentially playing in a GF and subtle hints to the Storm “he doesn’t want to leave”… then why not commit to them champ? Because they low balled you and your still not convinced you’ll be the starting 9 or forced to play lock when Harry comes on and get belted… I don’t think he’ll be at Storm, he could end up at the Roosters for all we know but where there’s life, there’s hope, the Dogs are on the up, #9 is his to own and he’ll get paid in accordance with market value.

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His comments are all over the shop, hard to get a read, a mixture of his manager telling him what to say, his pisstake personality, consciousness of potentially playing in a GF and subtle hints to the Storm “he doesn’t want to leave”… then why not commit to them champ? Because they low balled you and your still not convinced you’ll be the starting 9 or forced to play lock when Harry comes on and get belted… I don’t think he’ll be at Storm, he could end up at the Roosters for all we know but where there’s life, there’s hope, the Dogs are on the up, #9 is his to own and he’ll get paid in accordance with market value.
Spot on bro. Plus he will be 27 when he’s off contract and that will be his last big pay check. I don’t know if he will be at the dogs but I’m confident he won’t be at the storm

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Find it hard to believe that he'd stay in Melbourne to play lock/Hooker if a club offered him a 4 year 700-800k deal.

I think its all BS and he will sign with Tits or the new Brisbane team.....

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Money talks. If he was happy with the storms offer why hasn’t he re signed. He’s waiting till November to get every offer in front of him then decide
The key to this article is what Smith purportedly said......that the sides making him offers...Dogs Tigers Titans aren't going that well ATM.
The way I see this playing out is that these 3 clubs all make him decent offers sometime after Nov 1.....but he sits on them.
In the offseason he will stay in the news....touring all the teams facilities. Then sometime just before next season starts, the Storm up their offer and he either stays there, or suddenly the Roosters...with their $1.75m+ warchest with the retirement of Friend, Cordner and the Morris's come in with a 3 year $1.1mpa deal and he signs there.
We've used our warchest. We couldn't match the coin the Roosters have now freed up, nor could the Titans. The Tigers could match it....BUT that's where's Smiths comments are relevant.....As he can't play SOO, his only interest is premierships....so it's Storm or Roosters for B Smith.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Melbourne hooker Brandon Smith has hit out at speculation he is poised to quit the NRL premiers to join the Bulldogs or Titans, admitting it will be “virtually impossible” for him to walk out on the Storm.
Smith has set the record straight on persistent rumours he has held talks with Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett and wants out of Melbourne in the build-up to the Storm‘s preliminary final against Penrith on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium.

Smith, off-contract at the end of next season, can field formal offers from November 1 and the tackle-busting rake has been consistently linked to a big-money defection to either Canterbury or the Gold Coast Titans.

Smith was buffeted by suggestions he was set to follow teammate Josh Addo-Carr to Belmore next season after Bulldogs coach Barrett reportedly flew to Melbourne in May for talks with the Storm duo.

Mindful of the poaching threat, the Storm have reacted, tabling a lucrative three-year extension to keep Smith in Melbourne until the end of 2025.

There is a view the Storm will struggle to retain Smith under the salary cap due to their galaxy of highly-paid stars, but the New Zealand Test hooker has given the strongest indication yet he will stay loyal to Melbourne.

“To be honest, it’s going to be virtually impossible to say no to the Storm,” Smith said.

“I say that because of what they have done for me as a player and a person.

I’ve been linked with the Titans, the Tigers and the Bulldogs ... geez, they are all going great at the moment.

“I want to sort my future out sooner rather than later. I want it done sometime during the pre-season, but before I sign anything, I want to be able to address the Storm if I am leaving.

“My preference is to stay here.

“I guess any club is any hope, but it’s just whether I can bring myself to leave the Storm and to be fair, it’s hard to see me doing that.”

Smith could stand to earn more at a rival club, but the Storm, by virtue of their unrivalled success, have a history of retaining their big guns at a reduced salary.

Earlier this season, off-contract Storm halfback Jahrome Hughes knocked back a $2.5 million, three-year package from the Warriors to chase more premiership rings at Melbourne.

The struggling Bulldogs have cash to spend and would relish adding Smith to their roster rebuild, but the Storm rake hosed down suggestions he is bound for Belmore.

“I spoke to Trent Barrett when he was in Melbourne, but there were no serious talks,” he said.

“Joshy (Addo-Carr) was at a cafe with Trent and then I came and spoke to them.

“It wasn’t about contracts. He was obviously interested but I haven’t talked numbers with the Bulldogs or any team.

I have put everything aside and come November 1, when I can get formal offers, there will be a lot of discussions between me and my manager.

“That’s irrelevant now when I’m trying to win a premiership. I’m not available until 2023 and I have been trying to stay out of the papers talking about my future.”

Melbourne football-operations boss Frank Ponissi remains confident Smith will continue his career at the Storm.

“What‘s annoying Brandon more than anything else is the constant speculation,” he said.

“He is happy at the club and he is focused purely on winning a grand final in the next two weeks.

“I don‘t know why there has been so much focus on Brandon’s contract.

“We have not given Brandon permission to talk to rival clubs.

“We‘re having discussions in the background, Brandon has stuck to his word and said he will worry about a new deal in the pre-season.”

“ I’ve been linked with the Titans, the Tigers and the Bulldogs...geez, they are all going great at the moment.”

Are you serious Brandon, or taking the piss?
From first to the worst?

Maybe he’s keeping his options open...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he loves Melbourne that much then sign with them because happiness is worth more than a couple of hundred grand plus you will have to work harder at the dogs, tigers or titans. If it is money he wants then perhaps we shouldn't be interested in him.

All this is just re-affirming that the cap is a joke & unless every team has the same cap to spend then it's not worth it. I would also add a points cap because they can't be cheated!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
P
That’ll do me... Monumental rorting still going on in the NRLoL to the point where they don’t even try to hide the cap rorting these days and the media are all for it and openly gloat about it, I don’t watch any of it anymore, first we had to sit back and watch the biggest rorters the Roosters go back to back and now the other big rorters The Storm will do the same this year... Rugby League is dead and burried! Vote with your attendance simply don’t watch the corrupt sport.
Feel better now mate? Lol