News Both Storm Hookers Threaten to Leave if Smith plays on.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Grant wants out doesn’t then the Storm don’t benefit from the loan deal this season at all. They are within their rights to tell him to honour his contract that he only just signed and that he was given an opportunity for more game time in 2020.
Cam Smith has a chance to set some appearance and point scoring records. I’d be surprised if he didn’t play in 2021 either in Melbourne or for one of the QLD teams.
Im sure I heard Grant has a get out clause if Smith plays on.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A club in our position is never going to sign players for what they're worth. We're also competing with other clubs around the same position as us offering the same if not more money as well as top clubs that will offer a bit less. Until we cop buying top players for overs we're never going to get top players into the club until we develop our own (like the Panthers did) which takes years on years and you might as well do both strategies together so we have something to look forward to now. Those developed players will also need a few good experience players around them. I'd pay up to 1m (if that's what it takes) for a Grant or B. Smith as I believe they're players that you can build a club around and they'll transform and revitalise the team (why would you want to see more Waddell signings when we're not even paying them what they're worth, we gain very little buying squad players). When the biggest position we need to fill is hooker it's a no brainer.
Agree, Bulldogs need to take a little bit of a risk on this one which I think is a calculated one. After all we have let too many good ones slip through our net in the past.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So... what is the source for the information in this thread title?

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So... what is the source for the information in this thread title?
It was a news report this morning based on a statement made by Grant whilst on stage at the Tigers presentation while accepting his award.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Problem with league these days is we offer contracts based on potential. Grant is an awesome kid and would love to have him at dogs but no fckuing way he is worth over 500k when he hasn't achieved anything except for 1 decent season. You can't throw money at kids hoping they will come good. Too much of a risk
Problem is its too late once they r proven

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We need to offer more than melb
We don't know how much we or other clubs offered. All I know is if you offer more money (a significant amount) and a guaranteed starting position it's really hard to see why they'd stay. That's why to me it's safe to say we didn't do enough. If we did offer 500k (I don't think we did) and he still stayed at the Storm (who imo didn't offer anywhere near 500k to keep him) then you can't ask for much more. Fact is he isn't here and at the time it was a massive miss, it'll now take close to double that. Signing Grant back then would of been similar to the Knights buying Ponga for 650k. They were the e.g. and we didn't want to take the risk.