News Both Storm Hookers Threaten to Leave if Smith plays on.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No but he loves there before and apparently son wants to raise kids on the Goldy... personally I think they all end up in Brissy...
You could be right mate.
The intrigue...

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If Storm win the premiership he'll retire I reckon, if not he'll probably go around one more year at the Storm. I've got a gut feeling Melbourne are going to beat the Panthers in the GF though.
I think C Smith retires at least from the storm. He may go one more year in brissy and then join coaching staff with Bellamy. Just a guess..
Pretty sure they have stated they have a gentlemens agreement with Storm management that the "legend crew" (Slater/Cronk/Smith/Belamy) won't all leave at the same time?
So perhaps Smith hangs up the boots end of this year and gets some form of coaching gig with the Gronks until Bellamy gets there in 2022? Or they both help set up Brisbane 2.0 in Redcliffe from 2022 onwards?

Hopefully we have sent the blank cheques to Grant and B Smith already so we have an answer before C$#k Smith advertises his decision

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith yes. But Belly ain’t from Brisneyland.
Probably can smell the cash?
The plot thickens...
Yep, born in Portland, from memory his daughter Rachael and grandchildren live in Melbourne and his son Aaron is an assistant coach at the Storm. The Brisbane connection comes for the 5 years (1998 to 2003) that he was an assistant coach at the Donkeys. But that is surpassed by the 16 years he spent in Canberra playing and coaching, not to mention the 17 years in Melbourne.

So not sure why people think about him in terms of some Brisbane attachment.

Go Dogs

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Storm win the premiership he'll retire I reckon, if not he'll probably go around one more year at the Storm. I've got a gut feeling Melbourne are going to beat the Panthers in the GF though.
He will, thats what he wants to end on with a GF win. Hopefully they lose so he'll play on next year.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My gut feel is they put Harry at 9 as it looks like they have been moulding B Smith to a lock for a while now... he hasn’t played much 9 at all for a while.
But he wants the 9 for nz hence him wanting 9

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not holding my breath but rubbing my hands together.
Everyone knows Brandon Smiths Stance but Harry Grant announced on stage at Tigers presentation that if C Smith stays at storm he wants out.
I think I’d offer 800 or 900k/ year to Grant or 700k to B Smith. Something like that.Very important to Land one of these 2 now IMO.
Bulldogs fan here: if we get one of them , I’ll be rubbing something for sure...!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah which works in our favour... Melbourne just being selfish trying to keep both... and why wouldn’t you both guns.
If Grant wants out doesn’t then the Storm don’t benefit from the loan deal this season at all. They are within their rights to tell him to honour his contract that he only just signed and that he was given an opportunity for more game time in 2020.
Cam Smith has a chance to set some appearance and point scoring records. I’d be surprised if he didn’t play in 2021 either in Melbourne or for one of the QLD teams.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Problem with league these days is we offer contracts based on potential. Grant is an awesome kid and would love to have him at dogs but no fckuing way he is worth over 500k when he hasn't achieved anything except for 1 decent season. You can't throw money at kids hoping they will come good. Too much of a risk

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
If Grant wants out doesn’t then the Storm don’t benefit from the loan deal this season at all. They are within their rights to tell him to honour his contract that he only just signed and that he was given an opportunity for more game time in 2020.
Cam Smith has a chance to set some appearance and point scoring records. I’d be surprised if he didn’t play in 2021 either in Melbourne or for one of the QLD teams.
Not sure what more appearance or point scoring records Cam can set he is in front in both departments? I think Harry and Brandon have get out clauses if C Smith stays. I agree that I think Cam ends up somewhere else probably Brissy..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Problem with league these days is we offer contracts based on potential. Grant is an awesome kid and would love to have him at dogs but no fckuing way he is worth over 500k when he hasn't achieved anything except for 1 decent season. You can't throw money at kids hoping they will come good. Too much of a risk
A club in our position is never going to sign players for what they're worth. We're also competing with other clubs around the same position as us offering the same if not more money as well as top clubs that will offer a bit less. Until we cop buying top players for overs we're never going to get top players into the club until we develop our own (like the Panthers did) which takes years on years and you might as well do both strategies together so we have something to look forward to now. Those developed players will also need a few good experience players around them. I'd pay up to 1m (if that's what it takes) for a Grant or B. Smith as I believe they're players that you can build a club around and they'll transform and revitalise the team (why would you want to see more Waddell signings when we're not even paying them what they're worth, we gain very little buying squad players). When the biggest position we need to fill is hooker it's a no brainer.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Grant is a once in a generation player for mine, when he went to the tigers he was running the side within two games,he is young but he’s no kid.The bloke has it between the ears and that is fucking hard to come by any club that has him in their side will be taking a massive step towards their next premiership. The only risk with him is injury but you take that risk with any player.
We should offer the man a large, long contract for mine

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's so we gotta secure one of them grant would be first choice but I'd be happy with brandon

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
A club in our position is never going to sign players for what they're worth. We're also competing with other clubs around the same position as us offering the same if not more money as well as top clubs that will offer a bit less. Until we cop buying top players for overs we're never going to get top players into the club until we develop our own (like the Panthers did) which takes years on years and you might as well do both strategies together so we have something to look forward to now. Those developed players will also need a few good experience players around them. I'd pay up to 1m (if that's what it takes) for a Grant or B. Smith as I believe they're players that you can build a club around and they'll transform and revitalise the team (why would you want to see more Waddell signings when we're not even paying them what they're worth, we gain very little buying squad players). When the biggest position we need to fill is hooker it's a no brainer.
Then we dont buy em..simple as that. You can't gamble on young players anymore based on 1 season. There is absolutely no evidence besides 1 season of footy how Good he might be. He could have 2nd year syndrome and go shit. Not worth paying overs. We arent gonna win a premiership anytime soon anyway so no to a gamble paying overs.

Reactions: GDR

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Then we dont buy em..simple as that. You can't gamble on young players anymore based on 1 season. There is absolutely no evidence besides 1 season of footy how Good he might be. He could have 2nd year syndrome and go shit. Not worth paying overs. We arent gonna win a premiership anytime soon anyway so no to a gamble paying overs.
So you'd buy someone like Nathan Peats for one to two years instead? It's definitely worth it (Grant or B. Smith) imo. I want to make the top 8 not sit in the bottom 4. If we pay overs on the right players I believe that's possible. What else are we going to spend the salary cap space on? More of what we have? We have to wait anyways for our development players. If we had a more competitive squad to begin with we'd be able to attract (and retain) more players for what they're worth. If we cop the overs now (no other alternative to being competitive, unless we want more of the same) in two to three years we're in a better position AND we have development players coming through.

Last edited:

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No chance Smith is gonna play on btw, hes deffo retiring

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can't build around B. Smith once he loses his pace he will become another Josh Reynolds.

Go for Grant just like Roosters did with Tedesco, he will be in there for many years and build the rest of the spine.