Book thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fun fact Stephan King wrote The Shawshank Redemption - Now there a movie you can set your watch to..
It was also included in a collection of his novellas called something like Different Seasons?

1626133893385.png

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just read Tyson's 'Undisputed Truth'. The guy did some crazy shit with all the money he had but I reckon he's far more intelligent than what the media portray him to be.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I just read Tyson's 'Undisputed Truth'. The guy did some crazy shit with all the money he had but I reckon he's far more intelligent than what the media portray him to be.
Cheers for the tip might give it a read..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
:joycat:
a couple of his one man shows demonstrate Tyson is more than just a brawler

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for any boxing fans, Mark Kram's "Ghosts of Manilla" is awesome... it gives a different view on Muhammad Ali and his rivalry with Joe Frazier

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
for any boxing fans, Mark Kram's "Ghosts of Manilla" is awesome... it gives a different view on Muhammad Ali and his rivalry with Joe Frazier
Sounds good. Ali was a real arsehole to Frazier and Joe had a genuine hatred of him that never really disappeared.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. Ali was a real arsehole to Frazier and Joe had a genuine hatred of him that never really disappeared.
Muhammad Ali was such a huge cultural figure and great boxer but people have hero worshipped him after his retirement and thus, saw and reported on the image not the real man.

Kram knew Ali, warts and all... and it is not some hit piece, just showing the layers to the man

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cheers for the tip might give it a read..
Yep, it's a great read. He states how he went from living an extravagant lifestyle in mansions to a small town house were he was so broke they had to count the items in the carts just so they didn't go over their budget.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Unbreakable by Jelena Dokic.

I bought this on a bit of whim - it came after Dokic's really genuine and emotional comments about how great it was that Ash Barty had such supporting parents, and was reminded about how much of a nutcase her own father seemed to be.

Reading this book opened my eyes to just how much of a psychopath Damir Dokic was. The mental torture, the beatings (and how nobody really seemed to step in, and how she came to continually defend him with the fear that if she didn't things would probably be worse). It does raise the question whether his "style" is what propelled her to the heights of being #4 in the world, or whether she succeeded in spite of it. I'm leaning towards the latter.

At times i found it bizarre that she kept going back to him, even as a 17 and 18 year old, and putting up with it, but its also not for me to judge victims of abuse. Even after finally kicking him out she still kept paying him heaps, almost bankrupting herself.

Sporting biographies are usually pretty boring affairs. Lots of endless info on stats, and even with the issue of her father, which i assume is the main reasons for people reading it, it does find itself getting a bit repetitive.

But i'm still glad i read it, and gained the insight into a player who at the time was vilified by many. 8/10.

1628483338596.png

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im reading a series of books from Jack Carr (ex navy seal)
- The Terminal List, True Believer, Savage Son, The Devils Hand.

really Great books, if you like Matthew Reillys books you will love these....

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you liked that book read Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t read at home much anymore but what is the best book you’ve read?
One that stands out for me because it got me so into it was Shantaram
I’ve been reading Andrew Johns ‘two of me’ book. He raved about Shantaram as well. I haven’t ready it, but already bought two copies for gifts.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
American Psycho is a pretty funny read

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve been reading Andrew Johns ‘two of me’ book. He raved about Shantaram as well. I haven’t ready it, but already bought two copies for gifts.
This is the one written by the bank robber who escapes to India? It's been recommended to me as well. It's not a short book either. The sort of book I might try when I know I'll have some clear air to find time to read.

I'm currently reading a book in short spurts and it's hard to keep the flow going. I'm constantly having to go back to remind myself about characters.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whilst in lockdown I decided to pick up the 1954 book "I Am Legend" from ebay.

I've watched the films which were based on this novel 'The Last Man On Earth', 'The Omega Man' and the two fairly recent versions 'I Am Legend' (cinematic release plus alternative ending) and, to be honest, they all pretty much miss the whole point of the book (though the alternative ending version of 'I Am Legend' comes the closest).

It's a quick read and poses some interesting questions on morality, 'normality' and loneliness.
If you like dystopian futures this book may be the one for you!
(7/10)

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love a good book.

Reading Sapiens at the moment.... really interesting account of the history of our species. A confederacy of dunces and an historical thriller called the devil and the dark water are next on my list.
Halfway through this book. Raises more questions than answers......crazy to think that there were other species of humans walking the earth at one point.... question is... would you bang a sexy Neanderthal?