Book thread

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was originally happy to see my thread get t 80 posts so quickly but note its already tuned to discussing TV and movies... I guess its better than talking about Ark building or Skippy coming in any blaming everything in life on the left.

But I suppose i should also make a contribution.
Do penthouse forums count?

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

Again, with so many mindless non footy threads going around this time of year, I was wondering if the Kennel was ready for a book thread (yes, those things made of paper with words on 'em).

I've been reading a bit more lately and was happy to share some critiques if others are interested in sharing same.
"Australian Wildlife, the Shocking truth!"
Introduction
I shall be blunt and get immediately to the point!
For too many years successive Australian Governments have wilfully and consistently conspired to deceive the world by covering up the true, vile nature of much of Australia’s flora and fauna!
Yes, we have always freely admitted to having a few of Mother Nature’s greatest villains in our midst; the ferocious Great White Shark, the deadly Salt Water Crocodile, the venomous Taipan and Box Jellyfish just to name a few. However, over the years, consecutive governments have never dared come clean to the full extent of the terrors that swarm and thrive among us for fear of frightening away potential migrants and capital investment.
The seemingly sweet and cuddly marsupials, our garrulous and colourful bird life, the strange and exotic Monotremes, reptiles, plant life and insectoid residents of our great southern land have all received many a plaudit from all corners of the globe; But ever before has the deceitful veil of secrecy been lifted as to their true violent and lude natures until today; for we are not only a land of wonders, but of monsters as well!
Despite our stoic good humour we are a nation besieged; for almost every living thing in our great brown land is aggressive toward us!
The simple truth is this, much of Australian wildlife’s feeding and breeding habits are not only unique to our continent, but often totally hostile to human kind in every way. Although many might look sweet and innocent, most Australian beasts are carnivorous by nature and vicious by choice! Whether it grows, swims, flies, crawls, slithers, hops or glides etc; it will either kill you, kill you then eat you, “violate” you, kill you then eat you or just settle for laying its eggs in your brain!
Now, for the first time ever this despicable cover up will be exposed, the whistle blown and the shocking TRUTH finally revealed!
Be it known that Australian Parks, Wildlife Service’s and Tourism Australia have not approved this book…

From Boolarong Press,

Attachments

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Dry by Jane Harper (read, along with Harper's other books late last year).

1612068407633.png

Now a feature film starring Eric Bana, the Dry was the first novel by Australian Jane Harper.

Harper's writing has been described as "Outback Noir". I liken her style to the "small town with big secrets" style. This one features Aaron Falk, a Federal Cop living in Melbourne, returning to his home town in rural Victoria during the middle of a crippling drought and being caught up in the investigation into the murder of a family including his best mate from school. It has a lot of flashbacks and twists and turns.

This is the best book I have read for several years (admittedly since my first child was born 3 years ago, I've been more limited in my reading than i once was). I enjoyed it so much, i quickly proceeded to read Harper's further three books. Whilst one of the them does feature the same character (Aaron Falk), the books are not in a series and all great in their own right (one involved hikers going missing in the mountains near Melbourne, and other about a murder in a small Tasmanian beachside community and other a murder in the vast western Queensland outback). Harpers books are well researched and I think represent the landscapes perfectly.

9/10.

Last edited:

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the Hunger games fans.
"The hunger games protocol"

Many fans of the Hunger Games books and movies have
wondered how an actual hunger games would be run if it was a reality
and how the vile dystopian world of Panem came into being.
"
The Hunger Games Protocol"

An informal manual and guide to the management of the games and its tributes.
A must-read for any Hunger Games fan!
See what the critics at Good Reads have to say.​
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25573066-the-hunger-games-protocol
$35 including post anywhere in Australia,
$65A for overseas customers.
rpg303@bigpond.com

Attachments

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Next up, The Law of Innocence by Michael Connolly (which I only finished reading a few days ago)

1612069005917.png

Former crime journalist (aren't they all?) Michael Connolly has written dozens of books and sold millions. His books often feature some regular characters. I had watched the first few seasons of "Bosch" on SBS about one his characters, Harry Bosch, but had never read any of Connolly's books. You might also know his from the Lincoln Lawyer (turned into a film starring Matthew McConoughey).

This is on the Lincoln Lawyer series and has famous defence lawyer Mickey Haller framed for a murder he didn't commit. He must use all of his smarts and his crack team of assistants, including his half brother Bosch, long retired from his days with LAPD Homicide division, to prove his innocence. Only downside I had was that, I pictured McConoughey when I was reading it, as long as picture the brilliant Titus Welliver as Harry Bosch (which is why in general, you should always read a book before you see a film).

It very much reminded me of John Grisham's earlier stuff, and I enjoyed it enough to start looking for some of Connolly's earlier work.

7.5/10.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wait, does One Piece count as a book if I read in English?!

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit of US history nerd. It never ceases to amaze me what those peeps over there have got up to over the years. Currently reading 'City on a Grid - How New York became New York'.
Would be interesting.
The City Beneath Us, is an interesting book on the history of the NY subways. This might interest you as well https://methodshop.com/atlantic-avenue/
The history of the Beach Pneumatic Railway is also fascinating - Beach fell foul of "Boss" Tweed and his Tamany Hall crooks. Despite what "ghost Busters" might have told you, it was destroyed when the Broadway Subway was constructed; came across it, and found it in their way.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
"The MIrror and the Light" -Hilary Mantel's final book in the trilogy of Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII is one of the best reads I've had in recent times.

Also just finished William L Withun's "American Steam Locomotives, Design and Development 1880-1960" It's a detailed technical, and social look at the development of the steam locomotive. Goes into the design and the economics that dictated the evolution of the steam locomotive, and does some interesting comparisons between locomotive types.

Also Rubin Molina-Perez & Asier Larramendi's "Dinosaur Facts and Figures - The Therapods"; and the entire collection of the Australian Age of Dinosaurs magazines - preparing for my Dino Tour in May.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I read this when I was a teenager. Found it very interesting at the time. I'm still not sure James Maybrick was Jack but it's a very interesting take.
Im the same. Dont know and I feel we will probably never know with the passing of time. If it isnt him, its quite convincing and just an entertaining read.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I’m actually reading the Harry Potter series..,have read a couple of em, but will re-read em.. Always wanted to read all of them. The time has come.
Yes I bought the whole series a few months back under the guise of having some good reading for our grand daughter on hand lol...havent had the time to get to them as yet :grinning: