Book thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hi all,

Again, with so many mindless non footy threads going around this time of year, I was wondering if the Kennel was ready for a book thread (yes, those things made of paper with words on 'em).

I've been reading a bit more lately and was happy to share some critiques if others are interested in sharing same.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hi all,

Again, with so many mindless non footy threads going around this time of year, I was wondering if the Kennel was ready for a book thread (yes, those things made of paper with words on 'em).

I've been reading a bit more lately and was happy to share some critiques if others are interested in sharing same.
I don’t read at home much anymore but what is the best book you’ve read?
One that stands out for me because it got me so into it was Shantaram

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I love a good book.

Reading Sapiens at the moment.... really interesting account of the history of our species. A confederacy of dunces and an historical thriller called the devil and the dark water are next on my list.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I used to read a lot of fiction. Now days I generally just read science books.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I used to read westerns growing up. Wouldn't particularly recommend anything except some by Louis Lamour in westerns, and even then some were better than others of his.

My favourite Author these days is Robin Hobb (also known as Meghan Lindholme). She writes mostly fantasy books in trilogies. But she's just completed the fifth trilogy that were all part of one very related story. They're worth reading. I don't know where she'll go next with her books because she's seemingly tied up all the loose ends with the completion of her last series.

Also quite enjoyed the world created by Janny Wurts and Raymond E Fiest in the empire series.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like reading Memoirs of historical people. Favorite one is "The private life of Chairman Mao" written by his personal physician.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a bit of US history nerd. It never ceases to amaze me what those peeps over there have got up to over the years. Currently reading 'City on a Grid - How New York became New York'.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love the classics, big on Roman history
Astrerix the Gaul, Asterix in Belgium etc.

I use to read heaps of biography's of bands/musos/from the late 60's and other artists of that time.
ie - Andy Warhol, Salvador Dali.
'Hippy Hippy Shake' - Richard Neville was an interesting character. He was the founder of Oz magazine. For those that dont know it was a fairly feral for the times street mag started here and then he moved to the UK and started it up there aswell. He was also 1 of a bunch that was commissioned to paint murals at Luna Park, the walls of the old fun house etc. Spew'n I never knew that when I was just a kid the last time I was there. Pretty sure all that stuff got pillaged and auctioned off for peanuts.
Dont know how many John Lennon/Beatles books ive read. Its hard to get accurate info because their circle of people was so tight, alot of what they got up to is now gone with the passing of those most close to them.
Marianne Faithful - She was Jaggars girlfriend when he came here to make that Ned Kelly movie.
Mark Chapman, the bloke that shot Lennon. Fuckin idiot but was a good read.
Danny Sugarman - Became The Doors manager when he was a teenager. Use to babysit Iggy Pop when he flew in from London. Iggy neede babysitting cause was lunatic and would get into all sorts of trouble.
Floyd, Stones, Led Zep, Ozzy, Sabbath etc etc.

I use to love reading Australia books , stories form years gone by. Sometimes you'd find stories in old readers digest books.

The last good book I read was 'A fortunate life'. I think its fairly popular classic. Australian. Its about a bloke who grew up pretty hard in a time when everything wasn't handed to you on a silver platter. Highly recommend it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t read at home much anymore but what is the best book you’ve read?
One that stands out for me because it got me so into it was Shantaram
Man that was a long book! I had to sit down to read it, it wasn’t one you could hold up in bed it was so big and was before e-books. Interesting story though and Greg Roberts certainly had an interesting life.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Man that was a long book! I had to sit down to read it, it wasn’t one you could hold up in bed it was so big and was before e-books. Interesting story though and Greg Roberts certainly had an interesting life.
That’s for sure mate. It was so addictive. I read it in a week at the beach. There may have been sharks, pirates, surf rescues, hot women & a Loch Ness monster but I couldn’t get my eyes off that book haha

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That’s for sure mate. It was so addictive. I read it in a week at the beach. There may have been sharks, pirates, surf rescues, hot women & a Loch Ness monster but I couldn’t get my eyes off that book haha
So just a regular day at your local beach...:-).