Book thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I like reading Memoirs of historical people. Favorite one is "The private life of Chairman Mao" written by his personal physician.
Any STD's we should know about?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
My 3 favourite book series are the Dune books, Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, and Douglas Adam's Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.
I loved her Lives of the Mayfair Witches series. Something about New Orleans ughhh :grinning:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes I bought the whole series a few months back under the guise of having some good reading for our grand daughter on hand lol...havent had the time to get to them as yet :grinning:
You know what is freaky WD..I soon as I started reading the Harry Potter books..which I got ages ago on the IPad.. I suddenly started getting emails advertising Harry Potter from Amazon!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cameron Smith autobiography. Was a good insight into the makings of a champion

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You know what is freaky WD..I soon as I started reading the Harry Potter books..which I got ages ago on the IPad.. I suddenly started getting emails advertising Harry Potter from Amazon!
I know! It's definately a thing!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No but he did like to make sexy time...
Any truth on this?

During Mao's reign, virtually no housing was built for the average urban population. Families of three generations were often crammed into one small room. And yet Mao had more than 50 estates, including no less than five in Beijing. These villas monopolized many places of great beauty. Whole mountains and long stretches of lakes were cordoned off for the chairman's exclusive use.

His regime nailed everyone down to a place of residence, making it impossible for most people to move. Tens of millions of married couples posted to different parts of China couldn't live together. Given 12 days a year to visit each other, they were condemned to almost year-round sexual abstinence. While his people endured such constraints, Mao indulged his every sexual caprice. The Communist Party and army procured young girls for him. These girls staffed his villas and served as dancing companions at leaders' exclusive parties when such dancing was banned for ordinary Chinese.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I just finished reading this book, pretty good read. Interesting to hear the story of Kokoda from the other side's point of view.
Sounds interesting. Was he a Jap? War books are always fascinating and obviously extremely sad. Have read dozens of them, mainly relating to WW1 and Vietnam.
We Were Soldiers Once....And Young by Joe Galloway and Lt Col Hal Moore is amazing. Outnumbered nearly 40 to 1 and very nearly overrun by the NVA in the first major battle of the Vietnam War, they managed to hold on and eventually win the battle.

Anything by Robert G Barrett (the Les Norton series) is always great easy reading and good for a laugh.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Was he a Jap? War books are always fascinating and obviously extremely sad. Have read dozens of them, mainly relating to WW1 and Vietnam.
We Were Soldiers Once....And Young by Joe Galloway and Lt Col Hal Moore is amazing. Outnumbered nearly 40 to 1 and very nearly overrun by the NVA in the first major battle of the Vietnam War, they managed to hold on and eventually win the battle.

Anything by Robert G Barrett (the Les Norton series) is always great easy reading and good for a laugh.
Yeah Japanese soldier who was in Kokoda and then Burma.
I've read heaps of military biographies but not any from the other side, found it really interesting.
Aside from the military aspect, he was genuinely a very interesting person. Achieved a lot thru his stubborn and dedicated nature, a throw back to a different era.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anything by John LeCarre is worth reading - a great story teller; and a look at how the real spy networks operate.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Has anyone read anything by David Baldacci?

I picked up one of his books today from an op shop for like $3, and there were quite a few titles of his on the shelf.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
working class boy/man- Jimy Barnes
Scar Tissue -Anthony Keidis
Undisputed truth - Mike Tyson

do yourself a favor aND READ THEM!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
working class boy/man- Jimy Barnes
Scar Tissue -Anthony Keidis
Undisputed truth - Mike Tyson

do yourself a favor aND READ THEM!
I've read the Barnes "trilogy" and I might do a review when I have time.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Has anyone read anything by David Baldacci?

I picked up one of his books today from an op shop for like $3, and there were quite a few titles of his on the shelf.
Love his books. I am going through the Amos Decker series at the moment. It is brilliant. My favourite author is John a Grisham. Also love anything by Tolkien. In my younger days I was known for reading a book a day. I used to absolutely smash the reading. These days between work, family and study I just don’t get the time for much reading which is a shame cause I love it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Later, by Stephen King (2021).

I've read a few books by King over the years, most recently the Mr Mercedes Trilogy, which, despite the 2nd book being a bit weak, was overall quite good (as is the TV series based on them ).

I was attracted to Later partly because it is his latest work, and also because is is quite slim - coming in at only 248 pages, which seemed a major departure from his usual bloated books (think books like It and the Stand).

Told in first person, it follows a boy who can see dead people (but noting at all like the Sixth Sense - he even makes a reference to the film in the book). apart from obviously talking to dead people, its not particularly heavy on the graphic horror/supernatural side, and makes for fairly easy reading. My only criticism, which seems to happen a lot in King books, is that after a great build up, the ending falls a little flat.

7.5/10.

1619151479863.png

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Confessions of an economic hit man by John Perkins is an eye opener on how the US screwed a lot of countries over

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Any truth on this?

During Mao's reign, virtually no housing was built for the average urban population. Families of three generations were often crammed into one small room. And yet Mao had more than 50 estates, including no less than five in Beijing. These villas monopolized many places of great beauty. Whole mountains and long stretches of lakes were cordoned off for the chairman's exclusive use.

His regime nailed everyone down to a place of residence, making it impossible for most people to move. Tens of millions of married couples posted to different parts of China couldn't live together. Given 12 days a year to visit each other, they were condemned to almost year-round sexual abstinence. While his people endured such constraints, Mao indulged his every sexual caprice. The Communist Party and army procured young girls for him. These girls staffed his villas and served as dancing companions at leaders' exclusive parties when such dancing was banned for ordinary Chinese.
Yup. Mao had a voracious sexual appetite. His wife was a real tiger but turned a blind eye to what he did in exchange for more power in the Communist party.

I read that when he traveled on his official train, they would remove all sickly looking people at each stations and replace them with healthier ones.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Later, by Stephen King (2021).

I've read a few books by King over the years, most recently the Mr Mercedes Trilogy, which, despite the 2nd book being a bit weak, was overall quite good (as is the TV series based on them ).

I was attracted to Later partly because it is his latest work, and also because is is quite slim - coming in at only 248 pages, which seemed a major departure from his usual bloated books (think books like It and the Stand).

Told in first person, it follows a boy who can see dead people (but noting at all like the Sixth Sense - he even makes a reference to the film in the book). apart from obviously talking to dead people, its not particularly heavy on the graphic horror/supernatural side, and makes for fairly easy reading. My only criticism, which seems to happen a lot in King books, is that after a great build up, the ending falls a little flat.

7.5/10.

View attachment 23440
Fun fact Stephan King wrote The Shawshank Redemption - Now there a movie you can set your watch to..

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also quite enjoyed the world created by Janny Wurts and Raymond E Fiest in the empire series.
"Daughter of the Empire" was a very good book and early Raymond E. Feist an underrated writer (Magician, the Serpent War series, The King's Buccaneer)