Opinion Best gig ever...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Chocolate Starfish
I actually didn’t mind those guys.
Still think ‘Mountain’ is a good song.
Adam Thompson could sing even if he was a bit of a dickhead as a front man.

Saw them at the Eastwood Hotel ~1995. They were wearing suits and played their songs in a jazz/swing style - that’s how I could tell they could actually play - the re-arrangements were pretty schmick.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually didn’t mind those guys.
Still think ‘Mountain’ is a good song.
Adam Thompson could sing even if he was a bit of a dickhead as a front man.

Saw them at the Eastwood Hotel ~1995. They were wearing suits and played their songs in a jazz/swing style - that’s how I could tell they could actually play - the re-arrangements were pretty schmick.
All I remember is that they were mainly known for their Your So Vain cover. But it wasn't even the best cover. This one was...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
All I remember is that they were mainly known for their Your So Vain cover. But it wasn't even the best cover. This one was...

Ha, Micallef is good value.
Assume you know the target of the lyrics in that song was Warren Beatty. It fits.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
INXS at family inn Rydalmere before they were too famous, Bowie in 80 and 82-3 at showground, Midnight oil 20 or so times, Stranglers Midnight oil same night at the Antler Narrabeen Split Endz at Lifesaver and whoever else was playing around Sydney in early eighties SOME I CANT REMEMBER!!

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My taste is a little different but anyway...

-Joe Strummer and The Mescaleros at BDO 2000. Actually the whole day at that stage was great. Killing Heidi just as they went massive. It was fucking hot so people were climbing up the struts to access the fire hoses and spraying the crowd to keep cool. Beth Orton, Something for Kate, and Midnight Oil. But Joe was the highlight. I was never a big fan of White Man in Hammersmith Palais until I heard it live, with a lyric change to "Punk Rockers from Botany Bay". Playing the triangle from the top of the speaker stack for Yalla Yalla. I was on the rail just off centre the whole show trying to keep my girlfriend form getting smashed in the mosh. Got the setlist off the stage from the roadie after.

-Bruce Springsteen in 2013, second show at Qudos. Again was just off centre, one back from the rail. It was the tenth anniversary of the Iraq war so he opened with an acoustic Devils and Dust into a blistering Last to Die, only time it got played on that tour. My mate had to leave before the last song as his back packed it in, I stayed for 10th Ave Freeze-Out. Went to all three shows but that was the best overall. Backstreets on the third night was the best individual song played in that stretch of shows however.

-Red Riders at Cat and Fiddle, about 2003. Their first ever show as the warmup for my mates band, Meza. They were raw but you could see they were good. They went on to play support for Franz Ferdinand and The Living End. Saw them a heap of other times at Annandale Hotel and other pubs around town (and BDO) but its nice to say you were a fan before they got big. Not that they ever got as big as they should of.

-The Grates at Enmore in 2006, opening for Arctic Monkeys. This was when Arctic Monkeys were being hyped massively (I never really got it, only really like Crying Lightning) but the Grates were super. I don't usually listen to many female vocalists but love Patience, at least until she sang that stupid jingle for that gas company.

-Elvis Costello at Capitol Theatre in 1999. Best acoustic show I've ever seen, just Elvis and his pianist, Steve Nieve. The new arrangement of Temptation was brilliant. Was lucky to pick up a bootleg of the show from the Music Fair at Parra Town Hall (did you guys ever go to them?) so can playback whenever I want. He closed with Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4 with no mic. Unfortunately I struggle to listen to him play live now, his timing has gone, which is particularly jarring given the density of his lyrics.
Thanks prick you just triggered of sneaky turtle

Tuffers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
INXS at family inn Rydalmere before they were too famous, Bowie in 80 and 82-3 at showground, Midnight oil 20 or so times, Stranglers Midnight oil same night at the Antler Narrabeen Split Endz at Lifesaver and whoever else was playing around Sydney in early eighties SOME I CANT REMEMBER!!
The Family Inn sold their own beer off tap for a little while, called it the Family Ale. I bought a schooner once, had one sip, and poured the rest into a pot plant. The plant was dead the next day. Fuck me that was slop.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Family Inn sold their own beer off tap for a little while, called it the Family Ale. I bought a schooner once, had one sip, and poured the rest into a pot plant. The plant was dead the next day. Fuck me that was slop.
The Bay view used to had Bay view bitter, likewise one sip and gave it back bitter was an understatement, old Joyce maynes **** acid would leave less of an after taste, and I reakon Joyce's hole would be like sucking on those war head lollies and still not as bad as that beer

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
100%. A mate and I were going off on Skid Row, particularly Slave To The Grind songs (much better album than their first). All these punters around us be like ‘How come these guys know every word?’
Guns were OK but Skids way better.

As for other memorable gigs, I’ve got kinda varied tastes so they’d include:

- Dire Straits @ Entertainment Centre ‘86. Brothers in Arms. I was a kid but still remember it after telling mum and dad there was nothing else in the world I could ever want. The show I was at was one of the record they set for the venue: ~22 shows on one tour.

- Nirvana / Violent Femmes @ Hordern ‘92
- Jeff Buckley @ Enmore ‘96

Seeing Billy Joel sing New York State of Mind at Madison Square Garden (that song has a whole new life of its own in New York).

- Coldplay at the Metro in 2000 when no-one knew who they were. A record company mate at the time said ‘You’ll like this’ and comped me. They played ‘Yellow’, ‘Trouble’ etc to about 100 people. He was right - they were good before trying to be U2.

- U2 at the EntCent ‘89. Rattle and Hum. When everyone brought out their cigarette lighters for ‘All I Want Is You’ that was the reason for the ‘No Naked Flames’ sign that was erected there after those shows.

- The Black Crowes @ Hordern 2008 - as I finally got to see them live and we went backstage to interview Chris Robinson and after that he said ‘hang around for the sound check’ so a mate and I were treated to a private performance for 45min. Still got the photos.

- In the late 90’s I went to several record company showcase nights connected with my work at the time. The most memorable was in North Sydney. It was a ‘new’ artist called ‘Chuck Benjamin’ who when he walked on stage was actually Ben Harper. About 4 songs in he invited ‘some friends’ to join him - Eddie Vedder and Donavon Frankenreiter. They were in Australia on a surfing holiday together and were road testing songs for upcoming tours. Sweet.

Honourable mention to the Goo Goo Dolls mainly for this: at their showcase, a loose unit gal I worked with at the time marched up to John Rzeznik (singer) and said ‘What’s the smelliest thing in the world?’ ‘Go on’ ‘An anchovies Karmichael Hunt’. Rzeznik being a New Yorker deadpanned ‘I’m taking that one home’ :-).

There’s probably more but they came to mind first.
Sebastian would have to be the biggest douche in history but hand him a microphone all is forgotten, they played off raw energy much like gunners live at the ritz 88 when they were untouchable . Stadium acts fun to watch every so often but nothing beats a hungry band cutting its teeth.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
i totally forgot one of the best gigs ever i went to,
the angels and cheap trick at the hordern
Would of like to seen cheap trick seen the angles in various formations a ton of times so you take it for granted.
One band I don't think they ever toured Here maybe they did and I was way to young is rush would love to of seen then live

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sebastian would have to be the biggest douche in history but hand him a microphone all is forgotten, they played off raw energy much like gunners live at the ritz 88 when they were untouchable . Stadium acts fun to watch every so often but nothing beats a hungry band cutting its teeth.
Great singer. Hit some amazing notes. I guess being a tosser comes with the turf of being a front man. Axl and his boxing outfit for ‘Get In The Ring’ - nauseating - but you’re right, the Ritz ‘88 was killer and totaliy agree on cutting teeth. Loved seeing Coldplay 20 years ago but today would give them a wide berth - that ‘Paradise’ song - where’s the barf bag?? :-).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually a great gig me and a few mates flew over to nz to watch the exploited 40th anniversary tour we planned for a few shows in Australia after it but it was 15th match 2020 covid just got real msgs coming through that night Australia boarders will be shut the next day it was crazy we just got pissed and rocked out ,a day or 2 later get back to Australia being one of the very first bunch that had to 2 week home quarantine, the band didn't make it to Australia we knew that night had a bunch of mates msgin us asking what's going on we were drinking with the tour manager and he said the tour was dead and not making Australia, so lucky it was my 3rd time seeing then and since the singer has had 5 heart attacks I'm lucky I did
20200314_221352_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Further information on that night a mate took a few pingas and freaked out left halfway through the show jumped on a rental e scooter stopped put his hand on a wall and spewed his guts up problem the wall was glass and had a restaurant full of dinners trying to eat

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen some good gigs over the years but was really taken back in 2019 watching Andrea Bocelli perform live in Valletta.
It was right in the middle of the old city with about 40,000 in attendance, first time seeing an opera singer perform.
Just a voice I’ll never forget.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I have seen some good gigs over the years but was really taken back in 2019 watching Andrea Bocelli perform live in Valletta.
It was right in the middle of the old city with about 40,000 in attendance, first time seeing an opera singer perform.
Just a voice I’ll never forget.
Cool but I have a question.
What drugs did u take, who did u punch on with, what did u tap up etc. etc..
Its that kind of thread :innocent: