Barrett's Assistant Coach

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard? Forget hard, it’s impossible, the backline structure has been worked on at every training session for 5 months, with every player, individually and as a group. Not a chance that Barrett will change the complete backline attack structure after 2 games, especially 2 games in which our attack was very effective. We crossed the line, what is it it 7 times in 2 games, when was the last time we did that in the first 2 games of a season. The attack is developing very well, sure it needs polish in the finishing off, but the structure is creating try scoring opportunities like we haven’t seen for more than a decade.

Barrett is not going to fark up 5 months of work, not with Allen available in a couple of weeks, just so that we don’t need Okunbor. I just don’t see this game as being “crucial”, sure we would all like to win it, but winning is not what is most important. What is definitely important is working on the teamwork, getting the players more familiar with each other and the structures that they play to, more gel.

Always a Bulldog
I hate to challenge your vast knowledge about our team & our coach but seems that nothing is impossible , and it must be a "crucial" game after all.
Winning is everything that's why we have spent time and a lot of money putting this team together. NRL is the most elite league in the world and I like to think that our Bulldogs are not just there to make up the numbers. Well isn't it amazing but it looks like you are wrong and Barrett is going to "Fark" up "5 months" worth of work and structured training to rearrange our backline just because we don't need Okunbor to fark up another game for us & maybe now our attack well develop even better and we won't need so much polishing in finishing off and maybe the team can gel a little tighter with a good win.
By the way when you go to training next week, after you finish your "always a Bulldog " chant, could you thank Barrett on behalf of all the Bulldog fans for replacing Okenbor .

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate to challenge your vast knowledge about our team & our coach but seems that nothing is impossible , and it must be a "crucial" game after all.
Winning is everything that's why we have spent time and a lot of money putting this team together. NRL is the most elite league in the world and I like to think that our Bulldogs are not just there to make up the numbers. Well isn't it amazing but it looks like you are wrong and Barrett is going to "Fark" up "5 months" worth of work and structured training to rearrange our backline just because we don't need Okunbor to fark up another game for us & maybe now our attack well develop even better and we won't need so much polishing in finishing off and maybe the team can gel a little tighter with a good win.
By the way when you go to training next week, after you finish your "always a Bulldog " chant, could you thank Barrett on behalf of all the Bulldog fans for replacing Okenbor .
Perhaps you are misreading what I wrote or more accurately didn't read what I was responding to. The post I was responding to suggested 4 back line changes just to get rid of Okunbor, which is plainly ridiculous after so much work was spent during the offseason building combinations. A one player swap (someone for Okubor) is far from the same thing. Schoup for Okunbor wouldn't be my first choice, but at least it's logical unlike some suggestions requiring moving multiple players.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what i've heard, all the current assistants (high performance, defence etc) are being let go after this year with Gus appointed new staff to be brought in as replacements
Hahahahahahaha bullshit (a term that I reserve for the most ridiculous of posts).

Always a Bulldog
aged well

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Question now is… Flannos assistant coach!! :hearteyes:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
will ferris and the other plod plod trainers still keep their jobs?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
will ferris and the other plod plod trainers still keep their jobs?
Yes. They will do a review of what’s wrong. Trainers usually the first to go as they always especially when the players looked gassed after 30.

I’m not sure if you guys remember. Flanagan bought his own boxing gear as the sharks had no cash with his own money. And really got the whole squad fit as. He sets that bar high. Not sure Ferris has ever set foot inside a boxing ring.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to ask why the best coaches such as Bellamy and Bennett have always had an assistant coach, which from my understanding is separate from a defensive and attacking coach, and Barrett doesn't?

Barret has Furner next to him in the box, and correct me if I am wrong he is our defensive coach. Why hasn't Barrett just like Bellamy and Bennett have purely an assistant coach? If this is also Furners' role, it shouldn't be and he should just be concentrating on defence.

I can't help think that an experienced assistant coach would be a massive help using all his knowledge to give Barrett another perspective on things. It can't be g. denied that Barrett just might need this support on game day, just like the best
novdoggle, I beg to differ. Having watched Wayne Bennett run training sessions during his stint at South’s, he was THE coach. The assistants were very much just helping run the players through the drills. Wayne stood behind watching and was quick to call over a player if he spotted something and would collar one of the assistants during breaks and explain issues he spotted and what he wanted them to do. The assistants were not giving adice to Bennet. Just the opposite. So much for the role of assistants.