Barrett's Assistant Coach

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to ask why the best coaches such as Bellamy and Bennett have always had an assistant coach, which from my understanding is separate from a defensive and attacking coach, and Barrett doesn't?

Barret has Furner next to him in the box, and correct me if I am wrong he is our defensive coach. Why hasn't Barrett just like Bellamy and Bennett have purely an assistant coach? If this is also Furners' role, it shouldn't be and he should just be concentrating on defence.

I can't help think that an experienced assistant coach would be a massive help using all his knowledge to give Barrett another perspective on things. It can't be denied that Barrett just might need this support on game day, just like the best of them.

Last edited:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I need to ask why the best coaches such as Bellamy and Bennett have always had an assistant coach, which from my understanding is separate from a defensive and attacking coach, and Barrett doesn't?

Barret has Furner next to him in the box, and correct me if I am wrong he is our defensive coach. Why hasn't Barrett just like Bellamy and Bennett have purely an assistant coach? If this is also Furners' role, it shouldn't be and he should just be concentrating on defence.

I can't help think that an experienced assistant coach would be a massive help using all his knowledge to give Barrett another perspective on things. It can't be denied that Barrett just might need this support on game day, just like the best of them.
They don’t , they have a head coach and then below are attacking and defensive coaches.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A defensive or attacking coach is still an assistant coach, just with a different title or more specific focus. Baz has several assistants. The question is whether we need better assistants.

I've been critical of Furner in his role as defensive coach but aside from Okunbur our defence has improved a tonne. Especially through the middle, line speed, kick chase and our goal line defence. It's only been two games and we'll see if they can sustain that defence against better teams but credit where it's due after the first two games.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
from what i've heard, all the current assistants (high performance, defence etc) are being let go after this year with Gus appointed new staff to be brought in as replacements
It wouldn't surprise me. So much is up in the air though. We could struggle badly and Baz could go which would mean a whole new staff as the new coach would want their own assistants. We could do well and guys like Furner could get another year or two. Or we could be mediocre and Baz keeps his job while the assistants get punted.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me. So much is up in the air though. We could struggle badly and Baz could go which would mean a whole new staff as the new coach would want their own assistants. We could do well and guys like Furner could get another year or two. Or we could be mediocre and Baz keeps his job while the assistants get punted.
yeah far too early for mine to make any judgment calls like that, and i do have to agree that defensively we seem alot better than last year (bar okunbor) so maybe furner gets another 12 months. but i did hear the latter. time will tell i guess

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still a useless pice of shit? You really need to learn a bit of respect! Whether he is a great coach or not, Furner has done more in his playing and coaching career then you ever will.
Not debating his playing career buddy. Was a great player no doubt. Besides attaching himself to the coattails of the GF North Queensland side what else has he done? Every team he’s assisted at has had below sub par season. Especially when they’ve been predicted to have a good year. So yeah. Coaching wise. Still shit.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A defensive or attacking coach is still an assistant coach, just with a different title or more specific focus. Baz has several assistants. The question is whether we need better assistants.

I've been critical of Furner in his role as defensive coach but aside from Okunbur our defence has improved a tonne. Especially through the middle, line speed, kick chase and our goal line defence. It's only been two games and we'll see if they can sustain that defence against better teams but credit where it's due after the first two games.
That could also come down to experienced and better quality of players knowing how to read the game a lot better. I mean besides Ava and Jackson last year we had fuck all in the middle and edges that knew how to read in defence.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Coaches just as accountable as players...maybe even more so.

As long as that's explained to them by Gus....but they'd be aware they need to be on their toes with such an experienced GM of Football around the Club checking on what's going on.

Def we look like we are on the up in every dept tho (except for some selection decisions).

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
from what i've heard, all the current assistants (high performance, defence etc) are being let go after this year with Gus appointed new staff to be brought in as replacements
If this is true, with the arrival of Kikau and Mahoney next year, once they all gel as a unit this team is going to be almost unstoppable.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Dan Ferris hasnt been spotted in the box or whispering in Baz's ear this year has he?
Sandercock got a pretty good wrap from Burton the other day
As someone said, Furners track record aint spectacular.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Dan Ferris hasnt been spotted in the box or whispering in Baz's ear this year has he?
Sandercock got a pretty good wrap from Burton the other day
As someone said, Furners track record aint spectacular.
He's (Furner) in the box tho :grinning:

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That could also come down to experienced and better quality of players knowing how to read the game a lot better. I mean besides Ava and Jackson last year we had fuck all in the middle and edges that knew how to read in defence.
That probably has a fair bit to do with it. Just getting more seasoned NRL players that have a better work ethic.. But still, getting all of those new signings to be on the same page defensively so soon is impressive. We'll see if they can keep it up against better teams coming up.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think that was more that Sandercock stays back with him to work with his kicking after training. Not sure if he is providing guidance or just giving him balls to kick though...
Burton might just be too nice.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I guess we’ll see.
Whilst it’s true that Furner, Sandercock and Tangata-Toa were all signed on two year deals that expire at the end of this season, for mine our defence has improved (based on the first two games) and of course that story that Burton believes his kicking is improving under Sandercock’s coaching so time will tell what changes if any are made later in 2022.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahahahahaha bullshit (a term that I reserve for the most ridiculous of posts).

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess we’ll see.
Whilst it’s true that Furner, Sandercock and Tangata-Toa were all signed on two year deals that expire at the end of this season, for mine our defence has improved (based on the first two games) and of course that story that Burton believes his kicking is improving under Sandercock’s coaching so time will tell what changes if any are made later in 2022.
Halligan has also been working with Burton on goal kicks and ElMasri was there for the training session I went to.

Always a Bulldog