News Barrett to sign Canterbury deal... but struggling Dogs won’t get their man until 21

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't mind Barrett as a choice but three years is too much considering his dubious record at Manly. Two years would have been better. Whatever the case I hope the club has get out clauses in there..

If Barrett is coming, he'll transform our attack and likely be able to recruit some talented youngsters. At least we'll be entertaining to watch for a change after a decade of Desball.

Hopefully some highly rated assistants are appointed this time around. I know everyone has massive doubts about the club and rightly so but I don't think Barrett is as bad a choice as others do.
agree with that but assistants are overrated. Look at coaches like Flannigan and Arthur, they take control of everything. Assistants have their place, to help with training etc but ultimately the coach is responsible.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't mind Barrett as a choice but three years is too much considering his dubious record at Manly. Two years would have been better. Whatever the case I hope the club has get out clauses in there..

If Barrett is coming, he'll transform our attack and likely be able to recruit some talented youngsters. At least we'll be entertaining to watch for a change after a decade of Desball.

Hopefully some highly rated assistants are appointed this time around. I know everyone has massive doubts about the club and rightly so but I don't think Barrett is as bad a choice as others do.
The 3 years doesn’t really bother me if it’s true. It shows the clubs all in on him and takes away any doubt. If it turns pear shaped it’s going to cost a lot of money anyway.

I think Barrett will appoint his own assistants I really hope he chooses a veteran coach as one. He had Seibold and Cartwright at Manly so maybe Cartwright might jump ship.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The 3 years doesn’t really bother me if it’s true. It shows the clubs all in on him and takes away any doubt. If it turns pear shaped it’s going to cost a lot of money anyway.

I think Barrett will appoint his own assistants I really hope he chooses a veteran coach as one. He had Seibold and Cartwright at Manly so maybe Cartwright might jump ship.
You would think that would be a point of emphasis this time around.. Improving the assistants, trainers and the rest of the support staff.

If it's true, I think if he can make us an attractive attacking team and recruit players like Burton and Crichton or guys of that ilk, then he'll win some people over.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the club/board thinks Barrett’s the man for the job , and he himself can attract and bring some talent over then it’s a positive .!!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
agree with that but assistants are overrated. Look at coaches like Flannigan and Arthur, they take control of everything. Assistants have their place, to help with training etc but ultimately the coach is responsible.
For sure the head coach is the most important piece. But every good team has smart and highly rated assistants. We can't afford to have amateur support staff anymore.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
i reckon the attraction is he can bring some penrith players across, but may choose not to go there

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im warming to Barrett purely based on the fact that what the fuck has Ivan ever done really... Sucked at Tigers and Panthers prior, dudes not that great a coach, Barrett has tactical nous and I think everyone will be on the same page at the club provided the right assistants are selected. I don't think Ennis would accept an approach and I'm unsure about how Kimmorley would work with Trent. Some big calls to make.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If it’s Barrett do you really think he’s going to be sitting back and waiting till November to start worrying about the Dogs? I don’t.
If this, if that. Too many if's.

All this has achieved is another rebuild of a rebuild.

I was supporting of the new board coming in, though what has changed?

Unless they have a big name coach coming in, i will not be voting for them or anyone from the previous board if they decide to come back in

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I still like the idea of a Bennett (not Barrett) with Ennis as assistant and future prospect head coach once Bennett moves on

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If this, if that. Too many if's.

All this has achieved is another rebuild of a rebuild.

I was supporting of the new board coming in, though what has changed?

Unless they have a big name coach coming in, i will not be voting for them or anyone from the previous board if they decide to come back in
I’m far from impressed with what they have done up to date but they have punted Pay now and that’s a start. I’ll see what they put together over the next few months.

There’s not really any other option but to just wait and see what the come up with now.

I’m not sure you’ll be left with any options but to vote for the current board or the previous board. I doubt anyone else will put their hand up.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m far from impressed with what they have done up to date but they have punted Pay now and that’s a start. I’ll see what they put together over the next few months.

There’s not really any other option but to just wait and see what the come up with now.

I’m not sure you’ll be left with any options but to vote for the current board or the previous board. I doubt anyone else will put their hand up.
Don’t bet on that

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watching nrl360 sounds like barrett signing is days away,i reckon he’s guaranteed a few players to come across with him

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any coach who signs with the Bulldogs should have in their contract that the Anderson’s cannot and will not meddle in coaching decisions including team selections and recruitment
Mate I don’t get why everyone is down on CA. He was a champion player and coach. Our teams had an attacking style when he was coach! He did not have his hands anywhere near our current game plan.

Shit coaches don’t coach the Australian side. We won premierships under him and he left the Dogs in great condition when he left for Melbourne. The club had excellent juniors coming through and a well balanced roster! The only time we got weak is when Pay and the likes left because of super league, and CA was no where near our Claiborne at that stage.

I have no real comment on the current board as I only know the shit the media put out! Which with my experience is never near the truth. I’m happy to let things settle once we have a new coach and roster.

Can’t blame the board for the no major sponsor, with the Port Maq incident, until we’ve moved forward and it’s forgotten we won’t get a major sponsor!

What happened to Canterbury Leagues?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is Barrett close with Kikau.