News Barrett to sign Canterbury deal... but struggling Dogs won’t get their man until 21

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Bazildog it's happening, like really happening. Prepare yourself.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What was said exactly
Basically the board said to pay a number of coaches managers have been in contact with us so we are exploring other options for next year and kent said barrett is days away from signing

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m far from impressed with what they have done up to date but they have punted Pay now and that’s a start. I’ll see what they put together over the next few months.

There’s not really any other option but to just wait and see what the come up with now.

I’m not sure you’ll be left with any options but to vote for the current board or the previous board. I doubt anyone else will put their hand up.
Pay was never going to be the coach from 2021-onwards. They left him there to scrap all the shit up.

He should of not received a one year extension last year, or as it is, let him finish this season off

This is a total waste of a year now. Fair enough if they had another coached signed up now who could use the remainder of this season to build for 2021 along with the offseason.

What now?

They sign Barrett and he comes in at November? Transfer window of half decent players is gone and what? Barrett work behind scenes with the Dogs? Absolutely not when he is full time at the panthers.

3 coaches in one year?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cant imagine Penrith leaving him there whilst also recruiting for next year

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I cant imagine Penrith leaving him there whilst also recruiting for next year
Panthers are second on the ladder and look really good this year.

They definitely have a chance at giving the premiership a crack.

By the looks of it, on and off field, the panthers are in order.

No way they release any player or staff member at this present moment to halt there march to the finals

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hey if Barrett takes the Bulldogs gig, and your Penrith, do you really want a future opposition coach hanging around getting in the ears of your players?
Though with him honouring the rest of the season with Penrith May speak volumes of loyalty and commitment in the eyes of new recruits.
The lessons learnt by Barrett at Manly May in fact have served as the apprenticeship he needed to have before knowing exactly what he needs to know and implement to becoming a successful 1st grade coach.
How to deal with a toxic board over his shoulder, who to have on his left and right to help him and what kind of balance of roster.
If he is awarded the job now and doesn’t come till next year, he’s got Within six months of planing and recruiting to think about.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay was never going to be the coach from 2021-onwards. They left him there to scrap all the shit up.

He should of not received a one year extension last year, or as it is, let him finish this season off

This is a total waste of a year now. Fair enough if they had another coached signed up now who could use the remainder of this season to build for 2021 along with the offseason.

What now?

They sign Barrett and he comes in at November? Transfer window of half decent players is gone and what? Barrett work behind scenes with the Dogs? Absolutely not when he is full time at the panthers.

3 coaches in one year?
I agree on the extension last year but it’s history. They did want Pay to finish the season but he walked out on the club what other option is there?

As you say this season is done I’m glad a new coach isn’t involved until 2021. You don’t want a new coach winning a spoon after 10 games with this below average squad which is very possible no matter how good the coach is.

They’ll have a new coach for 2021 within a month and I have no doubt at all they’ll be working on the roster for 21 straight away no matter what position they are currently in.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree on the extension last year but it’s history. They did want Pay to finish the season but he walked out on the club what other option is there?

As you say this season is done I’m glad a new coach isn’t involved until 2021. You don’t want a new coach winning a spoon after 10 games with this below average squad which is very possible no matter how good the coach is.

They’ll have a new coach for 2021 within a month and I have no doubt at all they’ll be working on the roster for 21 straight away no matter what position they are currently in.
Totally.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

What now?

3 coaches in one year?
No i dont see it as a waste of a year. It would have been a shit year for a new coach with no money to spend. We only now have money. So if we get Barrett, hes going to have it a whole lot better than Pay had it, from the start.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I cant say Barrett has earned my respect as a coach yet, but im ok with him coming just so we can get moving on Step 2, get players. And it will be easier to get players if the coach is settled going forward. I still think players are what we need the most.

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No i dont see it as a waste of a year. It would have been a shit year for a new coach with no money to spend. We only now have money. So if we get Barrett, hes going to have it a whole lot better than Pay had it, from the start.
The scariest thing is giving Barrett $3m to spend

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This year and the last two was always going to be the end of our shit streak. Next year is the start of the rebuild.
We may still struggle to get near the eight next year too.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

What now?

3 coaches in one year?
If we're stating the obvious this season was a write off before it began and we should be using this season to prepare for 2021. I mean things like playing players in the positions they're going to be playing in 2021 (I guess it's also dependent on recruitment, we should know where we're recruiting tho, we should of actually done a lot more recruitment before this point too) so we can already work and start on combinations. Another thing would be giving kids like Averillo and Wakeham a proper go.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As long as next year we have steady improvement every week building.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course he's going to be working behind the scenes with the Dogs. Every new coach does that. He HAS to be doing that. If he signs, the next day he'll be on the phone to Cotric to try and get him over.
Penrith are not that stupid to assume it's not going to happen until the season is over. Whether they decide to keep him is another question but he will be actively involved in recruitment.