News Barrett to sign Canterbury deal... but struggling Dogs won’t get their man until 21

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So they basically choose the first coach they look at, I thought they said they wanted a proven coach! He might of learnt after last time but his stats aren’t much better than pays.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So they basically choose the first coach they look at, I thought they said they wanted a proven coach! He might of learnt after last time but his stats aren’t much better than pays.
Just be interesting to see if this does eventuate. Lots of misdirection with the media in the past so wouldn’t surprise me at all if we pick a coach out of the blue.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess you could look at it that way or they have been thinking about it for quite a long time and Barrett is top of their list.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I cant say Barrett has earned my respect as a coach yet, but im ok with him coming just so we can get moving on Step 2, get players. And it will be easier to get players if the coach is settled going forward. I still think players are what we need the most.
If he does sign, I am expecting Adam Eliott to re-sign for us.. Why you ask?

Because given their daytime antics, they would get along like a house on fire.

Barrett drops to his dackers, and does push ups in bars
Elliott lets his canon loose in beer glasses

Just hire Joey Johns as a halves coach and FMD - imagine the possibilities of that mad monday

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hahahahaha, I’m sure if he accepted the offer now he’ll be communicating with the club on who to buy for next season and preparing everything. He’ll also be contacting potential players and their managers. You know he’s not at Penrith 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but in today’s age there are mobile phones and online face to face interviews. He can also meet up with whomever he wants at cafes for meetings outside his working hours. It’s not like he’s in jail.
Have you ever seen a NRL coaches' contract? There is a very strong NDA (non disclosure agreement) clauses and there are 3 non competition clauses. One relates to doing any work for an opposition club, this means he's not allowed to do anything for us. There is a non poaching clause that relates to enticing players to leave, that means he is not allowed to talk to players about joining us (or anyone else). There is a clause regarding only recruiting players to the contracted club, for example he would not be allowed to recruit a player from Canbra to us, as he is only allowed to recruit players to Penrith. There is an exclusivity clause that gives the club sole rights to the coaches' product, that means he can't carry out any coaching activities for another team or with players from another team.

FWIW Flanagan got caught by the "no coaching" definition as the NRL considers even just talking to players about next year as a part of "coaching".

To date all that Penrith have done is to give Barrett permission to talk, he has not been released from any other part of his contract. If he breaches any of the other clauses the NRL has the right to suspend his coaching licence, same as they did with Flanagan. Of course he is not in gaol, but the NRL can send him to purgatory if he breaches his contract with Penrith.

Go Dogs

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
the board is now desperate to be seen doing something, andrew hill has finally made some form of public comment regarding dean pay and the lookout for another coach.

the pressure is right on the board they have to choose wisely or most certainly be thrown out next election

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a NRL coaches' contract? There is a very strong NDA (non disclosure agreement) clauses and there are 3 non competition clauses. One relates to doing any work for an opposition club, this means he's not allowed to do anything for us. There is a non poaching clause that relates to enticing players to leave, that means he is not allowed to talk to players about joining us (or anyone else). There is a clause regarding only recruiting players to the contracted club, for example he would not be allowed to recruit a player from Canbra to us, as he is only allowed to recruit players to Penrith. There is an exclusivity clause that gives the club sole rights to the coaches' product. that means he can't carry out any coaching activities for another team or with players from another team.

FWIW Flanagan got caught by the "no coaching" definition as the NRL considers even just talking to players about next year as a part of "coaching".

To date all that Penrith have done is to give Barrett permission to talk, he has not been released from any other part of his contract. If he breaches any of the other clauses the NRL has the right to suspend his coaching licence, same as they did with Flanagan. Of course he is not in gaol, but the NRL can send him to purgatory if he breaches his contract with Penrith.

Go Dogs
There's plenty of rules and clauses in the NRL that get bent or flat out ignored including the cap. You are pretty naive if you think these get adhered to in the competitive environment like the NRL.

Barrett will have his hands all over the Dogs roster shaping it for next year from the minute he signs on.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There's plenty of rules and clauses in the NRL that get bent or flat out ignored including the cap. You are pretty naive if you think these get adhered to in the competitive environment like the NRL.

Barrett will have his hands all over the Dogs roster shaping it for next year from the minute he signs on.
If he does then I'm sure Penrith won't mind dobbing him in. Especially if he even talks to one of their players about joining us next season.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It doesn't mean that the ceo or the chair of the club aren't allowed to talk to the penrith players.

Besides, if they had already commenced talks before the Barrett approach with the likes of crighton and Burton its fair game.
If he does then I'm sure Penrith won't mind dobbing him in. Especially if he even talks to one of their players about joining us next season.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he does then I'm sure Penrith won't mind dobbing him in. Especially if he even talks to one of their players about next season.

Go Dogs
He will just do it at a arms length. He will tell the Dogs who he wants and doesn't want and they negotiate for him. It's very simple to get around and avoid trouble.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The most important consideration is, Rule No 1 and Commandment No. 1, THOU SHALT NOT GET CAUGHT.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a NRL coaches' contract? There is a very strong NDA (non disclosure agreement) clauses and there are 3 non competition clauses. One relates to doing any work for an opposition club, this means he's not allowed to do anything for us. There is a non poaching clause that relates to enticing players to leave, that means he is not allowed to talk to players about joining us (or anyone else). There is a clause regarding only recruiting players to the contracted club, for example he would not be allowed to recruit a player from Canbra to us, as he is only allowed to recruit players to Penrith. There is an exclusivity clause that gives the club sole rights to the coaches' product, that means he can't carry out any coaching activities for another team or with players from another team.

Go Dogs
Yep, they all adhere to that don't they. Like as if there won't be any off the record communication behind the scenes. Not sure what world you live in mate. It's called reality.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He will just do it at a arms length. He will tell the Dogs who he wants and doesn't want and they negotiate for him. It's very simple to get around and avoid trouble.
Go Dogs thinks Penrith & the NRL will be tapping his mobile phone and listening in. LOL

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The ideal situation for us now would be if the board is gone before barret gets here
Close, the ideal situation will be for the board to be gone or changed before Shaun Wane and Micheal Ennis start.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the board is now desperate to be seen doing something, andrew hill has finally made some form of public comment regarding dean pay and the lookout for another coach.

the pressure is right on the board they have to choose wisely or most certainly be thrown out next election
Yeah, I saw the interview and Hill looked like a flop being interviewed in a storage room at Belmore.

CEO my ass...

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Go Dogs thinks Penrith & the NRL will be tapping his mobile phone and listening in. LOL
Noooooooo you dont understand TwimTurbo's logic mannnn.

Flanagan + Got caught breaching the rules re coaching + Copped santions = no one (Barret or the bulldogs) will break the rules again .

Just like

Bulldogs +got caught breaching the rules re salary cap + copped sanctions = no club will break the rules ag...... oh wait

He thinks clubs adhear to proper business practices and rules. What makes it funnier is that the Andersons are in charge and are known for being snakes and con artists in the business world

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
OK, let me see how that conversation goes.........
"Hi Matt, Hilly here, we (that's Stevie and I) would like to talk to you about joining us next year."
"Hi Hilly, does Trent know you are talking to me?"
Hilly, "Ah.....er...no, he's not allowed to know."
Matt "So he doesn't know?"
Hilly "Well ..... he sorta knows"
Matt "So he does know?"
Hilly "Well, yes, he recommend we talk to you"
Matt "Thanks for that, I'll just go and tell Ivan that Trent wants me to join the Bulldogs and he better up my offer on the new contract"

Substitute Matt's agent for Matt and see how that conversation goes.

Go Dogs