Rumour Barrett is walking on thin ice

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep this is what I think is going to happen. Gould last night was in the dressing room saying “ok coach is rubbish but what you guys dished out there is even more embarrassing” . Gus would of sat with baz saying look mate you’ve tried but we cannot finish 2022 as last for the second time, would probably be the first time in history two spoons in a row.
If I’m guessing, Gus will highlight they are playing for the coach this week… simples.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right, I listened to him and thought he operates at a high intelligence level of football. Got what he was saying but thought to myself how would all of the team understand and then execute this. You need some exceptionally good and smart players which he probably had at Penrith to carry out the game plan he wanted. We don't have those players right now. Probably why Barrett was successful at Penrith as Ivan was then able to break it down to a simpler level for the rest of the team.
100% this.
Last year, I got the impression Barrett knew how the team had to play but unfortunately we didn't have the players to understand Baz plan let alone execute it. His plan relies on eyes up footy which is what Penrith players are capable of, but only Dufty, Wakeham and BBO can do in our team. I therefore put it down to not having the cattle.

This year, Barrett has proven that although we now have players with certain skills sets, he just doesn't realise that we are still not smart enough and he needs to rethink the way we play. Unfortunately, he won't have time for Mahoney to rescue him and will be sacked before it.

He's created a rod for his own back and probably killed off any career in coaching.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
To other clubs, not us. I also don't believe a word of what Gus says publicly anyway..
He should stay away from social media. At first people were saying he's accessible and telling us what's happening, now what he says carries about as much weight as what journos say.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly right, I listened to him and thought he operates at a high intelligence level of football. Got what he was saying but thought to myself how would all of the team understand and then execute this. You need some exceptionally good and smart players which he probably had at Penrith to carry out the game plan he wanted. We don't have those players right now. Probably why Barrett was successful at Penrith as Ivan was then able to break it down to a simpler level for the rest of the team.
I've yet to see any game play. Look at the try Reynolds set up for Oates, where he came from behind the line and took the ball at speed to score unopposed. That is a game plan.

What is our game plan?

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What other coaches available besides Flanno Snr?

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
There's something I implore the Bulldogs community to understand about Phil Gould as both a person in the media and a decision maker. What he says in public is in stark opposition to what he actually believes and will do. We've seen it quite literally on hundreds of occasions since his time at the Panthers. He publicly backed Griffin and next thing you know he's axed brutally in public. You see, Gus has a short patience. He knew Griffin was not the coach to lead them to a premiership. He knew he had core deficiencies that are just now being exposed at the Dragons. And he wont use his position in the media as a professional to publicly criticise his employees in the football department, or friends for that matter. Gus couldn't care less for friendships. He knows this is a performance based business and there's only so long you can blame 'Patience' and 'Learning' as the issues of your footy club. He knows what this team is capable of and he knows it will be bolstered next year, but he also knows Barrett isn't the man to lead a club he knows so well to its next premiership.

On a side note, in the podcast Matt Thompson said Hastings matured. Gus said, hang on a minute, how bout the coaches he was dealt a hand by at in Manly. That alone demonstrates that Gus does not trust Barrett and he knows too well whats coming.

Go Bulldogs
On one of the e footy programs after theGriffin incident he said blatantly he will lie to the media to protect his employees. I still remember it.
Also,
Shane Flanagan was spotted having a meeting T bulldogs HQ.
Could just be something Kyle related, but also where there is smoke there is fire.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can’t wait till this is in the DT.
SHOOSH
Which embattled coach is facing the sack?
Results have been dire and players at the club have questioned his training and tactics…
lol, Buzz likes to state the bleeding obvious so looking forward to that one from him shortly

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree mate,I've spoken to a few in the know and they all said Barrett is very intelligent and has a great footy brain. He might be guilty of overcomplicating game plans etc that the players find hard to follow. All the good coaches seem to simplify player roles,not complicate them.
Does Hasler ring any bells here lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’m definitely not against this decision
But do any of the new recruits have get out clauses? eg fox,burton,Mahoney,Kikau
I hope not
Gus doesn't like signing contracts with clauses.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan would fit the dogs BUT he wont cop interference from Gould so you would have to think it wont happen. Outside the box I think a bloke like Slater would be worth a crack on a one year deal to see if he is as capable as I think he will be. I get the feeling he will be a pretty ruthless coach once he gets going plus he will cop a degree of interference from Gould.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The sooner he's sacked the better. There's still time to save us from the spoon if a new coach is appointed.

It's embarrassing that a team largely made up of new recruits is playing exactly the same as last year. No more cattle issues Baz, the problem is you can't get the best out of players.

Extremely talented players like JAC and Burton have regressed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shane Flanagan would fit the dogs BUT he wont cop interference from Gould so you would have to think it wont happen. Outside the box I think a bloke like Slater would be worth a crack on a one year deal to see if he is as capable as I think he will be. I get the feeling he will be a pretty ruthless coach once he gets going plus he will cop a degree of interference from Gould.
Gus tried to sign Bennett at Panther. Shane Flanagan as a coach is the only good option available (+Baz is done) so not signing him immediately wouldn't be doing what's best for the club. Gus' rep also going to take a massive hit over the next 2 years if he doesn't imo.