News Barrett’s viral one-word reply has the NRL talking

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach’s viral one-word reply is driving the NRL crazy
A question asked by a journalist after the Bulldogs’ Round 5 loss has kicked up a storm after coach Trent Barrett’s blunt response.

A snarky one-word reply from Trent Barrett somehow didn’t end up being the talking point to emerge from the Bulldogs coach’s post-match press conference.
After a 20-point loss to the Panthers following a week when he had been accused of mistreating playmaker Kyle Flanagan, Barrett appeared to show his fatigue when he dismissed a question about his team’s attacking structures.

The problem was his one-word reply came after an 84-word question from a journalist.

The prickly moment has since been a hotly-debated discussion in the footy media world.

At the end of the press conference, The Roar’s Mike Meehall Wood asked Barrett about the involvement of his halfback in the game.

Flanagan was selected to return to the side for the Round 5 clash after being dropped for an extended period. He had been training away from the Bulldogs’ top squad and appeared stuck in reserve grade after a bad form slump in 2021.

Trent Barrett didn't want to get into it. Photo: NRL

Trent Barrett didn't want to get into it. Photo: NRL
With Barrett flipping and flopping between his playmaker options, including Jake Averillo and Brandon Wakeham, he finally turned to Flanagan last week.

Some commentators accused Barrett of tossing Flanagan to the wolves after he was tasked with leading the Bulldogs’ attack alongside five-eight Matt Burton despite his extended stint away from the first grade squad.

It’s why Flanagan — and the Bulldogs’ much-maligned attacking structures — were the biggest talking point from the game. The Bulldogs have scored just four tries in their past three games.

It’s why some have passionately defended the question that was asked to Barrett after the loss.

“Trent, I was just looking it up there: Kyle touched the ball 21 times in that match — Wakeham averaged 29 and Averillo 33,” the question began.

“The first time you got into good ball – I think it was off the 40/20 – Kyle stationed himself out on the right and then three times the ball went that way and then came back inside with a forward. It’s something that I’ve noticed happens quite a lot.

“Do you think potentially you struggle to get your halfbacks involved in good ball?”

Faced with a long question at the end of a six-minute press conference at the end of a 20-point loss, the side’s fourth in a row, Barrett took the easy way out, replying simply: “No”.

It brought the press conference to an end.

Barrett on Tuesday announced Flanagan has kept his spot in the team for the Round 6 game against South Sydney on Good Friday.

But the video of the encounter was shared by The Daily Telegraph's The Oracle, which said: “One of the more ridiculous questions ever asked at a press conference. Trent Barrett answered it beautifully.”

That take appeared to be in the minority for sports reporters however as they quickly took to social media en masse to dispute the comment.

Fox Sports Football reporter James Dodd wrote: “Calling this a ‘ridiculous question’ and saying Trent Barrett answered it beautifully is such a poor take it’s actually funny …”

Former Channel 7 sport reporter Chris Garry added: “And the fans wonder ‘why don’t reporters talk more about gameplay!!’

“Because most coaches and players are reluctant to share insight. Robinson and Bellamy among the exceptions.

“Trent Barrett given perfect platform to discuss attacking strategy here but dismisses question.”

Trent Barrett hasn’t had a good time at the Bulldogs. Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.

Trent Barrett hasn’t had a good time at the Bulldogs. Photo by Jason McCawley/Getty Images.
NRL.com’s Chris Kennedy opined: “Ridiculous that a journalist thinks he can just walk into a press conference and ask the coach a question about his tactics backed up by stats. What is the world coming to.”

AAP’s Scott Bailey eye-rolled: “Everyone: ‘We need more talk about actual football, rather than all the other rubbish.’ **Journalist asks question, backed up by stats, about halfbacks not getting hands on ball enough at a team ranked last in attack.** ‘RIDICULOUS QUESTION!!!’

AAP’’s George Clarke wrote: “For the record – as I have been asked three times today – this isn’t me. It’s @MikeMeehallWood asking a fair question. The only thing that’s ridiculous is that a team coached by an ‘attacking guru’ have scored fewer points than Ryan Papenhuyzen alone.”

Freelance journalist Neil Morrow said it reflected poorly on Trent Barrett.

“Very bad take. It’s Barrett who looks ridiculous. Scared to get into the details of why his side keeps getting thrashed,” he tweeted.

WWOS’ Matt Bungard posed: “It was a bit longwinded but I thought this was a good question? It wasn’t a personal criticism of Kyle Flanagan or anyone else, it was about the Bulldogs’ use of their playmakers as a whole. Give me this over ‘So Trent, not the result you wanted out there today?’”

Meehall Wood replied to the drama as well, writing: “Heaven forbid we ask an evidence-based question to a guy who averages 1.4 tries per game about why his creative players touch the ball less than everyone else’s creative players when we spent a week talking about his main creative player. (Trent can answer however he likes, btw)”.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Glad this is getting more attention, the question probably could've been worded better but it wasn't hard to understand what he was getting at. We've been watching our team for years and it was great to finally see someone in the media ask a question about how we go about our football. Can't wait to the see the back of Baz and Jackson, both key leaders at the club and their reaction is a massive red flag.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The question had merit but I’m not surprised Tbaz brushed it off under the circumstances and the way it was worded. It was such a long winded way of asking it.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The work experience guy from Roar needs to learn that a question that takes 84 words to ask is not a good question. The question itself was okay and Baz would of been forced to answer it if he didn't bumble around in circles for two minutes asking the question. And the the whole NRL is not taking about it..fkn clown

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
How does a journalist ask the Coach.....Did your halves touch the ball enough and create any realistic scoring chances in the oppositions red zone? Then, did they play to instruction?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This whole story is getting more press than it should have because Baz couldn't answer what was a reasonable question.

I find it hilarious that Baz is fine to answer mutiple mind numbing questions from the esteemed James Hooper during the same interview when Hooper has the IQ of a moth...

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This whole story is getting more press than it should have if Baz just answered what was a reasonable question.. Baz then doubled down by saying it's the dumbest question he's ever been asked which I find hilarious when he's fine to answer questions from the esteemed James Hooper during the same interview when James Hooper has the IQ of a moth...
Tbaz didn’t say it was the dumbest question he’s been asked it’s some nobody on Twitter they quoted on that.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was a good question because it’s a fact - TB clearly took offence to receiving a key metric that potentially reflects accurately based on a lack thereof points scored, possibly took it as a coaching tip - for someone supposedly known for attack at the Panthers, he’s done sweet FA at the Bulldogs and in 2022, there are simply no more excuses with the power he has now - he just can’t coach at the head of level, that’s becoming clear.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
Truth is the inside ball thing has been a sticking point for us fans on the kennel for a while. If Bas was tired so be it but he should hold a presser to explain that and come out and answer the question.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably not the right moment on a Sunday night, after losing again, after a week of media attention on Flanagan.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should’ve asked it like ;

Trent, just looking closely at the good ball stats and it’s surprisingly telling that your halfbacks don’t get anywhere near involved. What is your thinking and methodology around your middles getting more touches?

He can’t simply answer No to that question.

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd like someone to ask him this simple question...

"Trent, you came to Canterbury as an attacking coach yet last year you only averaged 14 points a game, which was the worst in the league and this year with so many high profile signings you're averaging even less at 8 points a game, which again is the worst in the league...

"What's the explanation for how much you've struggled in attack even with an improved roster and how do you fix it?"

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should’ve asked it like ;

Trent, just looking closely at the good ball stats and it’s surprisingly telling that your halfbacks don’t get anywhere near involved. What is your thinking and methodology around your middles getting more touches?

He can’t simply answer No to that question.
I worked in a call centre when I was young (big mistake) and one of the first things they teach you is about open and close ended questions. Any journalist should understand and have learnt the same principle, as it's even more important as you need to quote their response and get them talking as much as possible.

You're right, he should have framed it differently to not give Baz the opportunity the shut it down like that but the fact is Baz resented a tougher question from a relatively unknown journo and preferred the cupcake questions Hooper was asking him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just because a journalist commits 400 words to the question, doesn't mean that it needs a 400 word answer. I'm guessing that after the narrative this week surrounding Flanagan, that the last thing anyone from the club wanted was to get drawn into a deep conversation about the halves. Seems like it was a case of the media having made Barrett gun-shy on the topic of halves.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tbh is there really any use of a press conference for 90% of coaches. Hard hitting questions like tough loss or great win followed by cliche answers. Or how long will player x be out for when they’ve had no scans or medical checks or questions that will never be answered truthfully. I can’t remember the last time I watched one.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wrong way of asking but a genuine question that most of us fans want to the answer for…. We are the worst attacking team again after 5 rounds! Tbh I dont think he knows the answer himself or it would have been rectified in the off season

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like someone to ask him this simple question...

"Trent, you came to Canterbury as an attacking coach yet last year you only averaged 14 points a game, which was the worst in the league and this year with so many high profile signings you're averaging even less at 8 points a game, which again is the worst in the league...

"What's the explanation for how much you've struggled in attack even with an improved roster and how do you fix it?"
Here’s Trent’s reply:-

“I think the unemployment rate is… is… 5.4, maybe it’s 5, oh look, I’m dumb dumb”!