Bad boys cost Dogs a dynasty- Daniel Mortimer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FORMER Bulldogs bad boys Willie Mason and Reni Maitua have been revealed as the disruptive force that handed over the club's proud Mortimer legacy to arch-rivals Parramatta.

The unthinkable will take place at ANZ Stadium this Saturday, when the newest pup in the Mortimer litter - Eels playmaker Daniel - tackles the team that will always be synonymous with his famous surname.

After winning four premierships in the 1980s with Mortimer brothers Steve, Peter and Chris on board, the Bulldogs were desperate to continue the dynasty once Daniel emerged as a talent two seasons ago.

Given the youngster spent his infancy in the family creche at Belmore Oval and worshipped former Bulldogs five-eighth Braith Anasta as a child, it seemed inevitable the family tradition would continue.

But father Peter had other ideas despite the Bulldogs out-bidding Parramatta for the youngster's services in 2007.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"There were some influences at the Bulldogs that I was not comfortable with sending a 17-year-old to," Mortimer said.

"Guys like Willie Mason and Reni Maitua, they probably weren't setting the best example behaviour-wise for a young footballer.

"Thankfully those influences have now moved on.

"But at the time, my first and only priority was Daniel's development."

Mortimer also revealed Bulldogs coach at the time - his former teammate Steve Folkes - was not the best fit for Daniel.

"Steve was still coaching a 1980s style of football," Mortimer said.

"It was a game plan based heavily on the forwards. The game had moved on, but the club had not.

"Michael Hagan was at Parramatta then and I felt Daniel was better suited to playing under a coach who'd played three different positions in the backline himself."

The final decision was left to Daniel. He made up his mind to accept Parramatta's offer at dinner in the family's Orange home.

"I'm sure he'd have convinced himself he was going to play for the Bulldogs as a child," Mortimer said.

"He would have gone to bed dreaming of being a Bulldog.

"He was a big fan as a child. When I worked for the club until 1992, we used to keep him in the creche at Belmore Oval during games. Peter Moore's family looked after him and the other babies.

"He loved Braith Anasta as a child and was at the game when Canterbury won the 1995 Grand Final.

"I'll never forget the day because we lost him in the hotel afterwards."

Daniel's decision coincided with a period of turbulence at Belmore which followed the exit of his uncle and club legend Steve as CEO during the 2004 Coffs Harbour sex scandal. The incident left the family and club officials virtually estranged, but recent conciliatory gestures from new CEO Todd Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore have mended the rift.

Bulldogs insiders now readily admit they still want Daniel at the club - and this time Peter will not stand in the teenager's way when his current Parramatta deal expires at the end of next season.

"It's up to Daniel and Parramatta have been wonderful to us, but I'd have no issues with him going there now," Mortimer said.

"Discipline and decency have returned to Belmore. Todd Greenberg and Kevin Moore can take credit for that. I get a kick out of watching the Bulldogs again.

"Kevin has already told me he'd like to have a talk to Daniel when he's contract is up for renewal."

Paulina..

BrysonGoodwin♥
Reaction score
Don't blame Peter for not wanting thoose influences around his son.. but we will gladly take him now!

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see you already had it up.

On the other hand, It's really disappointing that those idiots have cost us a young and talented footballer.

Peter did the right thing by his son and his developement.

Atleast Kevvy has said he will look at him next year for 2011. If Kimmorley chooses to retire, Mortimer and Roberts could be interesting.:whacky:

How crazy. Maybe we don't need Ben Barba:p

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see you already had it up.

On the other hand, It's really disappointing that those idiots have cost us a young and talented footballer.

Peter did the right thing by his son and his developement.

Atleast Kevvy has said he will look at him next year for 2011. If Kimmorley chooses to retire, Mortimer and Roberts could be interesting.:whacky:

How crazy. Maybe we don't need Ben Barba:p

Rofllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll howsie is going to hunt you down when he reads that.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Something so wrong about the Mortimer name in the Parra colours....this must be fixed

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Article from: The Australian

PETER Mortimer bled for the Bulldogs. Thanks to his exploits in blue and white, and that of his brothers Steve and Chris, the Mortimer name is synonymous with the NRL club.

But come Saturday night, Peter's loyalties will rest with his son Daniel -- and by extension Parramatta -- rather than the side he served with distinction for more than a decade.

Daniel Mortimer, the Eels five-eighth, has turned one of the Bulldogs greats into a Parramatta fan. Peter Mortimer makes no apologies. After all, blood is thicker than the Bulldogs.

"Mate, family always comes first," Peter said yesterday from the family home in Orange, where he runs a winery.

"But I have to say it's a pleasure to watch the Bulldogs playing at the moment. They look like they're enjoying themselves. They have a great attitude.

"I'll have to put that aside for this week."

Given his history with the club, which included 190 first-grade games and several premierships, will this be the first time Peter has cheered against the Dogs?

"Yes, it is," he said.

"Your natural habit when I pick up the paper is to look at the blue-and-white jersey. Having said that, I have had to take a bit more notice of Parramatta."

Daniel Mortimer has been a revelation since being handed a start in first grade midway through this year. He has helped steady a ship which looked in danger of sinking following the sudden and shock exit of Brett Finch.

It could have been so different. Two years ago he was offered the chance to join the Bulldogs, but rejected a more lucrative deal to stay with the Eels.

At the time, the Dogs were taking the first steps on the path to destruction, culminating in last year's wooden spoon.

"At the end of the day blood is thicker than water -- you have to do what's best for the boy," Peter said.

While Mortimer has blossomed at Parramatta, the Bulldogs have been revitalised under chief executive Todd Greenberg and coach Kevin Moore. A ruthless streak has emerged under Moore and they have no plans to go easy on the Eels No6 despite his heritage.

"We have certainly recognised there might be some opportunities there," Moore said.

"But Daniel is a young kid and I have no doubt he will get some support from his teammates there. I think it's important people don't put too much pressure on the kid because of his surname.

"I wish him all the best. I think he will be a fine player down the track."

Peter will pack the family in the car and make the four-hour trek to Sydney on Saturday morning. More than 30 members of the Mortimer clan will descend on ANZ Stadium. Steve will be among them.

"I want to see the Dogs do well and I want to see my nephew have a good game," said Mortimer, who played 272 games for the Bulldogs.

"I have never been put in this position before, except when I played against Chris when he was with Penrith."

Divided loyalties aside, the family is united in one thing: they want Daniel to have a good game.

"When he was first put in he was a bit humble -- a shy country boy," Peter said.

"Nathan Hindmarsh and Luke Burt took him under their wing and said if you're going to stay here, you're going to have to get a bit more bossy.

"He's developed like he belongs there. Let's hope it's a good game.

"I feel good, excited."

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We cant help what has happened in the past, only what will happen in the future so build a bridge people! If you keep living life looking back at what could have been instead of what could be you will always be disappointed

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
a mortimer in a parra line up is very very very wrong.

i don't blame his dad for doing what he did, which father wants there son to play with people who go out every night and do stupid things?

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
And we thought we had a halves dilema yesterday. Now lets try and factor in the possibility of bringing back the heir aparent one Daniel Mortimer to his rightful throne.

Niff Nuffs, begin......

Last edited by a moderator:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a very good young player. It's a shame a Mortimer is at Parra of all clubs. Maybe one day......

As for Peter Mortimer's quotes, it makes perfect sense what he said about the culture of the club and that has been fixed thanfully but what he said about Folkes didn't make much sense as he went on to say that Hagan was a better fit. Well Hagan was and is a dreadful coach who did woefully at Parra with a greatly talented team. I can't see how Hagan would be better than any coach in the NRL for a players development, especially more than Folkes who seemed to help develop halves like Anasta, Sherwin and even Thurston into half decent players.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sad article really.

I never knew anything about him then next thing you know I am like "WTF, a mortimer playing for the eels ??"

I hate Reni.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Considering the Mortimers were part of the 1980's sides that at times demolished Parra is just makes it worse...

I'll never get used to it, mostly because even though i wasn't alive during the 1980s, the name Mortimer and the Bulldogs seemed like one..

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could say anything happend back then, the media used to sensationalize every piss up and made sure the the 'Premiers' reputation was soured, what bloke hasnt taken a pee in the night or had a scuffle?

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Peter Mortimer was and always will be a legend.

I for one think it's good that Daniel started his career elsewhere. He should have been in the Eels side 12 months ago. The Mortimer name held him back there. At Canterbury it's a given. He's earned his stripes times 10 at the Eels. He has got a better run since the leadership structure changed.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago either Steve or Peter were quoted as saying that they chose to bring Daniel over to Parra so he wouldn't have the added pressure of having to crack first grade at the Dogs with the name Mortimer as well. This article was a bit of a shock.

As for his time here at the Dogs in the Juniors; I never saw him play, though when he left I asked why we were letting him go! Everyone shot me down saying he was ****E and we didn't need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.