Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have one opinion regarding the Australia Day debate:

1) Who cares what day it's on?

I understand how people support tradition and such but fuck it. It's a day. Celebrate it on any day as far as I'm concerned.

The part I find really funny is when right wingers and Conservatives pick on Lefties, Progressives and Aboriginals for getting offended and calling it "Invasion day", but the moment you talk about changing the date the right wingers and Conservatives get offended and kick up a stink.
I personally don't care, I don't believe in patriotism/nationalist jingo garbage. It's too often used to, once again, separate people. I understand the indigenous opposition against the current date, but it also doesn't hold reason in my view on the world (i.e. there are no different cultures, nationalities, we are all the one people all around the world)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Please elaborate. What exactly was it that Hadley said (we all know he's a Karmichael of the highest order).
Honeslty don't know, you have to read wolfie's post for the gist of it

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't please everyone dude. The way I see it, if Australia wasn't invaded, Aboriginal people wouldn't enjoy the fine beer they can't get enough of today.
Don't get me wrong, I don't actually support the "invasion" argument. I mean, we did invade but that's how colonisation went at the time. It was shit but it advanced the world. We definitely could have done it better.

My point is that the least we could do is to change the date to a day that all Australian's could celebrate. It should come down to the most logical. Who has a real right to be pissed off. The ones who are deeply offended by the suffering they received during colonisation, or the ones who don't want to move the date 'cause tradition?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It works both ways

On this topic the opinions of the indigenous will be taken in as it's more emotional and rightly so for them.

I do give their opinions more notice
Regardless what their individual stance may be
Right you give their opinons their due diligence by calling them SJW? and offended people?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No
That is neither here nor there

The point wolf made was
In her mind that scenario
True or not
Hot her thinking about Australia Day date
And she referenced strong leadership not caving to public pressure for the greater good

I thought she made a valid point is all I'm saying

Whether it's right or not
strong leadership for the greater good?

See my avatar

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I personally don't care, I don't believe in patriotism/nationalist jingo garbage. It's too often used to, once again, separate people. I understand the indigenous opposition against the current date, but it also doesn't hold reason in my view on the world (i.e. there are no different cultures, nationalities, we are all the one people all around the world)
Pretty much my stance. I support changing the date because it will make some people happy and has no ill effect (even if Conservatives try to convince you it will). I also support one culture which is why I don't think Aboriginal people should be recognised in the constitution. I think we should stop segregating cultures and treat everyone the same.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't actually support the "invasion" argument. I mean, we did invade but that's how colonisation went at the time. It was shit but it advanced the world. We definitely could have done it better.

My point is that the least we could do is to change the date to a day that all Australian's could celebrate. It should come down to the most logical. Who has a real right to be pissed off. The ones who are deeply offended by the suffering they received during colonisation, or the ones who don't want to move the date 'cause tradition? since 1988
Fixed

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty much my stance. I support changing the date because it will make some people happy and has no ill effect (even if Conservatives try to convince you it will). I also support one culture which is why I don't think Aboriginal people should be recognised in the constitution. I think we should stop segregating cultures and treat everyone the same.
On your second point, I agree with you. I also don't think a treaty will achieve a great deal either.

I also cringe at the few sentences that appear at every public gathering now that say various variations of: "we acknowledge the original inhabitants of the land we are siting on etc". It is usually said by a bored MC, just after telling everyone where the toilets are and where to meet in case of evacuation. All it seems to do is waste a minute. If it was done in a more special way at fewer events, it could be something, er, special, but in its current guise of a couple of sentences at EVERY event involving a government department, it just doesn't have much meaning.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyhow was listening to ray Hadley the other morning and it got me thinking

Apparently most Americans are happier now than they were with Obama..despite all the negative attacks on his personality

Business is growing and people are happier.

Bottom line.. the guy knows how to run a business and is deploying his knowledge to fix what's wrong with the country and not using his presidency for political bullshit.

He's actually genuinely fixing the economy and making 'America great again'

My point is I'm glad this has come to light and I'm also glad we as a nation are not cowering to the 'offended' minority to change Australia day.
This is somewhat true oddly enough. His approval ratings have increased constantly since he has taken office. He has done some bad stuff including removing Obamacare, and he's definitely not as liked as Obama was, but he is liked and he is doing some good for the economy.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On your second point, I agree with you. I also don't think a treaty will achieve a great deal either.

I also cringe at the few sentences that appear at every public gathering now that say various variations of: "we acknowledge the original inhabitants of the land we are siting on etc". It is usually said by a bored MC, just after telling everyone where the toilets are and where to meet in case of evacuation. All it seems to do is waste a minute. If it was done in a more special way at fewer events, it could be something, er, special, but in its current guise of a couple of sentences at EVERY event involving a government department, it just doesn't have much meaning.
Went to a wedding a few months back where the celebrant said, "we will be joining this couple in marriage but before we start we would like to acknowledge the kupanboogy tribe who are the original inhabitants and true owners of the land we are standing on. We would also like to apologise for any harm brought forward by our people on your people"

I had to refrain myself from groaning out loud.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. Could focus on that, or could focus on the economic data

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42748243
The problem with presenting those graphs Hacky, which I'm sure you're well aware of, is not everyone knows how to actually read and interpret it. Some will look at only those graphs and come to a conclusion that Trump is a great economic president

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with presenting those graphs Hacky, which I'm sure you're well aware of, is not everyone knows how to actually read and interpret it. Some will look at only those graphs and come to a conclusion that Trump is a great economic president
Yep. That's why I said that he's so loved now. The fact is that a lot of that economic movement has to do with Trump but a lot of it has to do with economic trends as well. People don't understand that so they just think that Trump is the economic saviour.

There was one a few weeks back that showed that African American unemployment is at the lowest point in 50 years, but the fact is that African American unemployment was already on the way down before Trump took office.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. That's why I said that he's so loved now. The fact is that a lot of that economic movement has to do with Trump but a lot of it has to do with economic trends as well. People don't understand that so they just think that Trump is the economic saviour.

There was one a few weeks back that showed that African American unemployment is at the lowest point in 50 years, but the fact is that African American unemployment was already on the way down before Trump took office.
Economic trend being the big one. I'm still waiting for someone to call me out on Obama because of economic trend and how much influence a president actually has.

And not being called out on it shows the level of economic understanding there is

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Trump is an immediate results President. He does things that provide immediate results and make him look good while ignoring the long term impact. Removing Obamacare, repealing the Paris agreement, cutting corporate and mid-wage tax. It all makes an immediate impact while ignoring any long term issues.

Then again Presidents have been doing that for the past few decades. Hence why America is in debt over $20 trillion.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Trump is an immediate results President. He does things that provide immediate results and make him look good while ignoring the long term impact. Removing Obamacare, repealing the Paris agreement, cutting corporate and mid-wage tax. It all makes an immediate impact while ignoring any long term issues.

Then again Presidents have been doing that for the past few decades. Hence why America is in debt over $20 trillion.
Cutting corporate and mid wage taxes were only achievable because the economy was growing.

Had he done them when the economy was crashing they'd be fucked

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Economic trend being the big one. I'm still waiting for someone to call me out on Obama because of economic trend and how much influence a president actually has.

And not being called out on it shows the level of economic understanding there is
Obama's economic work was amazing. He introduced some costly programs but he created a large number of jobs and put in place such a strong economic trend that there was very little chance of screwing it up. Trump is also trying to take credit for all of Obama's work. As I said, Trump did play a part but it's off the back of excellent work put in place by Obama and Trump did it by using dangerous methods that cut spending without looking at long term progress.

Honestly Obama gets a lot of praise but I still think he was a vastly underrate president. The only thing I didn't like about Obama is the amount of innocent civilians he killed.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Obama's economic work was amazing. He introduced some costly programs but he created a large number of jobs and put in place such a strong economic trend that there was very little chance of screwing it up. Trump is also trying to take credit for all of Obama's work. As I said, Trump did play a part but it's off the back of excellent work put in place by Obama and Trump did it by using dangerous methods that cut spending without looking at long term progress.

Honestly Obama gets a lot of praise but I still think he was a vastly underrate president. The only thing I didn't like about Obama is the amount of innocent civilians he killed.
As a domestic president he was great, as for his foreign relations a completely different story.

For Obama's great work economically, he was really in the perfect storm, it has been more the left wing Keynesian type economic policy that saves economies when they're going through downturn. So it was an ideal situation for him and the democrats

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Ok I'm just going to say what everyone really cares about.... as long as it's a day off I don't give a rat's what day it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.