Opinion Assessing the loss of Tolman

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said a few weeks ago we should have kept him and got laughed at I watched tolman last night no where near the peat he was with us but that comes down to how he was coached at us and our ruck nominated him to run the 4 th tackle because of the lack of urgency within the halfs defiantly should have retained for 1 year I’m sure his salary would have been covered by the long serving exception in the cap for players who been at a club 10 years we are missing his work rate atm

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tolman was an overpaid plodder. Time to move on Horse.
I agree. Tolman was an overpaid plodder, he worked hard in defense which we are now missing, but in attack he was stifling and embarrassing, (and still is). We will never be a top 4 team relying on the likes of Tolman (thank fully gone), Napa (hopefully soon gone) and Hetherington (needs to improve dramatically).

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sharks fans are grinning like Cheshire cats at their Tolman acquisition.

The Sharks are averaging 24pts/game without their key playmaker so the old Tolman stifling the attack chestnut doesn’t seem to hold much weight other than amongst semen soaked armchair experts.

We 100% should’ve retained him for another year or 2 especially considering the laziness and sheer lack of defensive steel amongst the remaining middle forwards at the club. Let’s have a look at the numbers comparing the work of Tolman from the bench for the Sharks against our 4 x Props so far this year;

TOLMAN
2021 averages: 110m per game, 32 tackles per game @ 98% efficiency

OGDEN
2021 averages: 84m per game, 19 tackles per game @ 91% efficiency

HETHERINGTON
2021 averages: 92m per game, 25 tackles per game @ 88% efficiency

TOOMAGA
2021 averages: 74m per game, 23 tackles per game @ 93% efficiency

NAPA
2021 averages: 63m per game, 21 tackles per game @ 92% efficiency

Disgraceful numbers from our middles who have not stepped up to the plate. Many here won’t like to admit it but we are sorely missing Tolmans middle craft, particularly the extra work he got through, communication and cover defence. Our defence has been downright embarrassing and the loss of Tolman is a big reason for this.

Let’s hope Thompson stays fit as he’s by far our best middle forward, but we desperately need the others to step up.
He even has a passing game now. Funny how a good coach can bring out the best in a good player.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A lot of you lot are unable to be reasoned with, Tolman was part of our issue.
Success won’t come overnight, look at the Titans last year, they started terribly and improved throughout the year, hopefully that’s us.
We can’t continue to blame coaches, support staff, board for decisions of the past.
Thank fck Napa is off contract at end of the season as we do need a good middle.
Exactly. They showed the type of forwards you need to recruit to build a great pack. Fifita, Tino, Lisone and they already had Peachey, Moeaki, Wallace and Joliife..

The perfect blend of size, skill, power and great yards with quick play the balls. Not four metre hitups twice a set from an over the hill plodder that plays selfishly to pad his stats.

Hopefully next season we can get Hamlin-Uele, Guler, Vaughan/Rudolph and Afoa as well as Capewell or Matterson on an edge to try and replicate that. I'd even take a run at Peachey as a modern lock who's played well there..

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman alone wouldn't change that and all of a sudden have us conceding 12 points a game. People forget we gave up huge scores to several teams over the past few seasons with Tolman in the team and more of a focus on a slow, defensive style of play under Pay and the old rules. So the problems run much deeper than Tolman's absence in defence....

But no doubt Baz has to make changes and shore up the defence because it's embarrassing and you can't win games giving up 30 plus a game. Starting Thompson and Topine and benching Waddell while moving Hoppa from centre would be a great start.
I'm not even saying we should have re-signed Tolman.
The problem is we replaced him with worse players on more money.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not even saying we should have re-signed Tolman.
The problem is we replaced him with worse players on more money.
Hetherington is worse and I never liked the signing but he didn't cost much as Penrith are paying part of his deal. Waddell also didn't cost much as he was a bench player at Manly.

The other guys we signed were Flanagan, Cotric and Allan so neither had an impact on Tolman or a prop.

Barrett rightly targeted Leniu who would have been perfect. Hopefully the next prop targeted is a similar style of prop.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In order to move "forward" sometimes one must take a step back...

How are you ever going know how the other forwards go when Tolman is taking their place and their work when they are off contract?

AND if Tolman was so good why didnt Des grab him when he lost Fonua-Blake considering he was on the market and apparently the best Prop in the Game according the Desmond?

Not doubting Tolman's work ethic but it was time to move on.. Now Tolman, Napa and Ogden will be out the door and with that 1.5mil hopefully we can acquire REAL forwards.
This is a great post. Tolmans departure has exposed just how inept most of our middles are in defence. Tolman was a very good scrambler and covered up a lot of defence areas around the ruck. Although, he should have been banned from getting the ball anytime after tackle 3.

He was a great clubman and I was sad to see him go but it was for the greater good as the club has to come first and it’s a bloody mess..

doggy bill

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It amazes me that he was let go. Highly under valued, workhorse with a massive motor.
Even stranger that he was replaced with nothing.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They were right to move on Tolman. It’s a step backwards keeping a player him on decent pay. He’s the front row version of David Stagg, did enough to show favourable looking stats on paper but absolute cringeworthy to watch. Very very low impact player I couldn’t stand him for years

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the club was well run and the team was well coached it doesn't matter if you lose players - see the Roosters (a professional organisation with a top coach)

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are still rabbiting on about the "4th tackle" Have these people ever though about who was passing the ball?
Have they ever though that he was the only one there at the time?
All of that is not Tolman's problem. He did what he had to do. And he did it better than the other nuffie forwards.

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We always struggled defensively went he went off or was injured, but all some of you people see is the fact that whoever our coach was liked him to take the run on the 4th and not make a mistake and play the ball clean for the last tackle.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the club was well run and the team was well coached it doesn't matter if you lose players - see the Roosters (a professional organisation with a top coach)
Despite winning their last two, the Roosters will fall apart without Keary, Friend and Cordner etc. They won't make the 4 and won't threaten Melbourne, Penrith or Souths in the finals..

They also still have Teddy, Chrichton, Radley, SST, Collins, Manu, Walker, Sitilli and Sualli in their squad who are infinitely more talented than anyone we have in our squad this season. So it's hardly a comparable situation or just down to coaching.

But I agree Baz has a lot to prove as coach and many of his selections and decisions are questionable at best so far.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks fans are grinning like Cheshire cats at their Tolman acquisition.

The Sharks are averaging 24pts/game without their key playmaker so the old Tolman stifling the attack chestnut doesn’t seem to hold much weight other than amongst semen soaked armchair experts.

We 100% should’ve retained him for another year or 2 especially considering the laziness and sheer lack of defensive steel amongst the remaining middle forwards at the club. Let’s have a look at the numbers comparing the work of Tolman from the bench for the Sharks against our 4 x Props so far this year;

TOLMAN
2021 averages: 110m per game, 32 tackles per game @ 98% efficiency

OGDEN
2021 averages: 84m per game, 19 tackles per game @ 91% efficiency

HETHERINGTON
2021 averages: 92m per game, 25 tackles per game @ 88% efficiency

TOOMAGA
2021 averages: 74m per game, 23 tackles per game @ 93% efficiency

NAPA
2021 averages: 63m per game, 21 tackles per game @ 92% efficiency

Disgraceful numbers from our middles who have not stepped up to the plate. Many here won’t like to admit it but we are sorely missing Tolmans middle craft, particularly the extra work he got through, communication and cover defence. Our defence has been downright embarrassing and the loss of Tolman is a big reason for this.

Let’s hope Thompson stays fit as he’s by far our best middle forward, but we desperately need the others to step up.
I thought at that time, that it may have been better to shop Napa around, even if we only saved $2K and have kept Tolman, but their was also the thought that Napa might play for another contract some where, which he obviously isn't.
Its a sad state of affairs for the whole game when players don't have ago,
I don't follow the AFL or Soccer, but I very much doubt that players just don't have ago in the other codes.
This means that our game, must have some inherent flaws. Perhaps it might only be at our club where players choose to not have ago.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hetherington is worse and I never liked the signing but he didn't cost much as Penrith are paying part of his deal. Waddell also didn't cost much as he was a bench player at Manly.

The other guys we signed were Flanagan, Cotric and Allan so neither had an impact on Tolman or a prop.

Barrett rightly targeted Leniu who would have been perfect. Hopefully the next prop targeted is a similar style of prop.
Yeah I have no idea which props the club will be able to get next season.

But every season we are always looking to next season. We are 5 games in and already this season is a write-off.

What is going on with discipline? Hetherington, Jackson, Elliott & Kotoa are penalty & 6 again machines. Hence the team is playing with 40% possession every game so that is a loss right there and with the terrible defence around the ruck and in the middle they are big losses.

We won 3 games last season, never did I think I would see the club sink so low. As it stands now we could set a new low this season.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Any player that moves on from this basket case generally looks good. Even Montoya looks more energised than Hopoate playing at centre for the Warriors.

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
In order to move "forward" sometimes one must take a step back...

How are you ever going know how the other forwards go when Tolman is taking their place and their work when they are off contract?
But we already knew how our other props go?

Ogden and To’omaga both had over 30 games under their belt for us and any half decent judge could realise there was serious question marks over their defence and overall work ethics/effort areas. Napa has done more bad than good over the past 2 years. Hetherington has been around for a number of years without ever proving that he’s capable of consistent first grade level performances and has a chequered history with discipline. We have zero boom props in the lower grades knocking on the door.

So with all that said, to me it’s pretty clear we needed to keep Tolman for another year or 2. And we are absolutely paying for it so far with our woeful diabolical efforts.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I thought at that time, that it may have been better to shop Napa around, even if we only saved $2K and have kept Tolman, but their was also the thought that Napa might play for another contract some where, which he obviously isn't.
Its a sad state of affairs for the whole game when players don't have ago,
I don't follow the AFL or Soccer, but I very much doubt that players just don't have ago in the other codes.
This means that our game, must have some inherent flaws. Perhaps it might only be at our club where players choose to not have ago.
Seems its our club.

Tho we dont study other teams as much but can anyone name another ex-SOO putting out his lacklastre efforts?

None at Storm, Roosters, Penrith, Canberra, Parra, Titans...anywhere else?

Manly? Cows? Broncs?