Opinion Assessing the loss of Tolman

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason we are traveling shit house has nothing to do with letting Tolman go. We were never a powerhouse last year. The only thing that your stats tell me is the majority of our forwards need to be let go as well.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Tolman was ok and worked hard, however he's not one id cry over losing, and he wouldn't solve our current issues.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems its our club.

Tho we dont study other teams as much but can anyone name another ex-SOO putting out his lacklastre efforts?

None at Storm, Roosters, Penrith, Canberra, Parra, Titans...anywhere else?

Manly? Cows? Broncs?
I also think that the new rules has made some players redundant.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But we already knew how our other props go?

Ogden and To’omaga both had over 30 games under their belt for us and any half decent judge could realise there was serious question marks over their defence and overall work ethics/effort areas. Napa has done more bad than good over the past 2 years. Hetherington has been around for a number of years without ever proving that he’s capable of consistent first grade level performances and has a chequered history with discipline. We have zero boom props in the lower grades knocking on the door.

So with all that said, to me it’s pretty clear we needed to keep Tolman for another year or 2. And we are absolutely paying for it so far with our woeful diabolical efforts.
I personally was a staunch Tolman supporter and reckon he optimized an average bulldogs forward ( Reardon's/Relfs/Gillies/Staggs and co) and would argue he would be an awesome fourth best prop off a bench in a GF team. As said, on that field its the bloke that always turns up, is the bloke you love playing with.... though the argument remains, was he taking away too much work from other forwards?? You would argue he was though honestly we just finalized which forwards we are keeping beyond this season last night.

I am not doubting your assessment of the other forwards, quiet spot on but we now know they have not grown into the role and probably will not.

I still think Renouf can get a top 30 contract though Ogden and Napa are gonnnnne. Tolman and Sue are gonnnne. The weeding out is on patrol with Britt and co to follow.. We just need a shake up and these stupid contracts gone at every chance given.

In the end im very satisfied we got rid of Tolman, we basically swapped out Tolman for Hetho, Hetho is still growing and surely the club will grab one hell of a prop for us.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Defenders loved Tolman taking hit-ups because the impact of Tolman running into them was like being hit with a soft pillow ..

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that's an exaggeration.. we copped plenty of hidings with tolman in the team and that was under the old rules..
I think that's an exaggeration.. we copped plenty of hidings with tolman in the team and that was under the old rules..
yes it was an exaggeration... and intended that way in response to your exaggeration!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The fact we are looking at Tolman as a loss should tell you where we were/are as a club lol
Get fucking real
As some on here say....

"Let.That.Sink.In"

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Mine was funny, yours wasn't..
Your ‘joke’ appealed to a gaggle of likeminded dunderheads who drew the conclusion that Tolman must be the major problem in the team. Don’t get ahead of yourself.

Getting rid of Tolman would unlock our attack and our defence would not suffer according to the experts on here such as yourself. Pump more minutes into our power forwards Ogden and To’omaga and let the good times roll. How’s that all looking? We’re scoring half as many points and conceding 3x as many with our defensive cohesion at its lowest standard in this clubs history.

Thank God for members such as @liljohny who bring some proper footy IQ to this forum.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sharks fans are grinning like Cheshire cats at their Tolman acquisition.

The Sharks are averaging 24pts/game without their key playmaker so the old Tolman stifling the attack chestnut doesn’t seem to hold much weight other than amongst semen soaked armchair experts.

We 100% should’ve retained him for another year or 2 especially considering the laziness and sheer lack of defensive steel amongst the remaining middle forwards at the club. Let’s have a look at the numbers comparing the work of Tolman from the bench for the Sharks against our 4 x Props so far this year;

TOLMAN
2021 averages: 110m per game, 32 tackles per game @ 98% efficiency

OGDEN
2021 averages: 84m per game, 19 tackles per game @ 91% efficiency

HETHERINGTON
2021 averages: 92m per game, 25 tackles per game @ 88% efficiency

TOOMAGA
2021 averages: 74m per game, 23 tackles per game @ 93% efficiency

NAPA
2021 averages: 63m per game, 21 tackles per game @ 92% efficiency

Disgraceful numbers from our middles who have not stepped up to the plate. Many here won’t like to admit it but we are sorely missing Tolmans middle craft, particularly the extra work he got through, communication and cover defence. Our defence has been downright embarrassing and the loss of Tolman is a big reason for this.

Let’s hope Thompson stays fit as he’s by far our best middle forward, but we desperately need the others to step up.
100000% agree. Best comment on the kennel

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's funny how mega flops such as Floptaila-Mariner, Flogden & Floptoni fly under the radar at the Bulldogs.

Tolman at his peak was knocking down the door of rep footy. He simply had to go in the end, he is an attack stifler and his runs have zero impact. Sharks seem to pick up our experienced players for bargain prices and rejuvenate them.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is like the Morris brothers. Most were happy to see them go as they were getting older and we thought their career was coming to an end. They have however played awesome since leaving. I think we are missing Tolmans defence around the ruck.

Last edited:

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No happy we ripped the bandaid off

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how mega flops such as Floptaila-Mariner, Flogden & Floptoni fly under the radar at the Bulldogs.

Tolman at his peak was knocking down the door of rep footy. He simply had to go in the end, he is an attack stifler and his runs have zero impact. Sharks seem to pick up our experienced players for bargain prices and rejuvenate them.
A few on tk have no concept on the value of experience.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A few on tk have no concept on the value of experience.
True that. Thats why the more experienced posters are not totally supportive of players like Schoup, etc being considered for FG.
The game now is for hard headed players. The young promising players need time to develop their game in reggies.

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Hetherington is a fair signing, I like his aggression and it should really be sparking some aggression from our other forwards.

I just feel like we have a distinct lack of forwards that push hard post contact and have good leg speed, those extra metres really make the defensive side work hard under new rules.