Ask a bulldogs old timer....

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uncle took me to leichardt as a kid berries v tigers circa 76 got hooked on the blue and whites back then first gf was 79 we finished with a wet sail 80 was fantastic uncle was overjoyed he was happy we got square for 74 he still detests the rorters

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I have no idea what year it was (would have been late late 80’s) but I remember going to Belmore with my Dad and Uncle and my two cousins and we played Magpies and Terry Lamb scored after the bell to win right in our corner we were sitting. I mainly remember getting a kebab from the man that use to to the bbq half way up the path back to the club..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m with Ripley. About 1965.
Watched the ‘68 gf on the hill at the scg and I know a few other blokes in the kennel were at that game.
Bloody Bob MaCarthy.
I was there in 1967, in the second row of the Brewongle Stand, it wasn't McCarthy who beat us, it was farkin Col Pearce, the bastard should have awarded Les Johns a penalty try.

Always a Bulldog

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

Whilst I realise I'm not the longest Bulldog supporting TK member here, I am definitely one of the veterans who has been supporting the dogs from asfar back as the mid nineties.

I still remember the Super league era, the 98 semi. The lead up to our 'enhanced' Grand final win, the heartache the year before, and everything after that.

So Just thought Id start up a memory thread of sorts to go through it all, bygone eras.

For example, we once had a player named Craig Polla Mounter. Melbourne born, QLD childhood, NSW teens. Good little nuggety player. Hard to tell what race he was as he had that look that could have been Leb, Greek, Anglo. Who knows.
he was with us for ten years before going to the cowboys, then returned to say Bye. Once nearly kicked a 50m field goal.

Dogs supporters would also be shocked to know we had a Zimbabwean dude from zimbabwe play for us too, and played 2 games, before pissing off to Rugby. Whats more, he is now the CEO of australian Rugby Union. So the last two CEOs have had dogs links!

These are examples of memories lost in time as the younger generation talk about newer legends like Kimmorley, Pritchard, Graham, DWZ, Mason etc

So thought if open up the floor to ask the old timers here (anyone can pitch in, not just myself) about anything and how things were back in the day.
I'm old school Berries. Since 1961. Polly was a good bloke and I don't ever recall him playing for the Cowboys. He was a 1 NRL club man. He did play on the Sunny coast during a short retirement period before playing a few more games for the Dogs before finally giving it away. I fished with Polly at Awonga Dam in 2003 before I moved to Townsville from the Sunshine Coast. He was a proud Dog and always gave 100%.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm old school Berries. Since 1961. Polly was a good bloke and I don't ever recall him playing for the Cowboys. He was a 1 NRL club man. He did play on the Sunny coast during a short retirement period before playing a few more games for the Dogs before finally giving it away. I fished with Polly at Awonga Dam in 2003 before I moved to Townsville from the Sunshine Coast. He was a proud Dog and always gave 100%.
Did he get dropped a few times so that Kevin Moore could get games in fg?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I was there in 1967, in the second row of the Brewongle Stand, it wasn't McCarthy who beat us, it was farkin Col Pearce, the bastard should have awarded Les Johns a penalty try.

Always a Bulldog
Another ref who loved us.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
After the 1988 GF win our mad supporters brought it down and crashed it into the glass at the leagues club. True story

Later it was replaced with a blue and white bulldog. Maybe the same one repainted
Growing up in Ulladulla back in the late 70's early 80's the local club use to use that Bulldog but repaint it in the Milton-Ulladulla colours then paint it back in Blue/Wkite and truck it back to Sydney.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did he get dropped a few times so that Kevin Moore could get games in fg?
I can't be sure on that, but Polly was our No1 Halfback in his prime, but He did get shifted to Hooker and played well there. I was a bit blown away when watching the game one day and see Polly on the bench in FG. I rang him and he claimed insanity. I think that was 2003 or 2004.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Did Boyd cordners father play lower grades for the dogs, there was a Chris cordner in the 80s or 90s or am I imagining
Correct. He is Boyd's dad. Played centre or wing from memory.

eagle66

Waterboy
Reaction score
I went to a lot of games at Belmore in 1972 & 1973, peanuts in the shell, sugarcoated 20 cents........bag goes flying past your head, a two bob coin flies back.
The scoreboard was the best. Progress scores of all the games. I remember once, the game was so tense, you heard the score snap into position and everyone turned their heads to look at the update and the Berries scored a try at the southern end.
Oh yeah, the games were good too.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
90’s…. Old timer?

I go to 1968.

Before the Steward stand there was just an asphalt hill. And behind that asphalt hill there was a shitbox dilapidated wooden firetrap grandstand, not in use, from the time the ground was a true oval. it had the change rooms in it. And you could peek through the cracks in the joint to observe the teams warming up and getting half time talks etc.

And someone put a Tarzan rope on that grandstand which the kids had a great time on, until one day a kid.. not me.. fell off and went through the splintered floorboards up to his armpits, they had to power saw him out of it.
I remember that stand, it was sectioned off with chicken wire and full of bird shit

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I went to a lot of games at Belmore in 1972 & 1973, peanuts in the shell, sugarcoated 20 cents........bag goes flying past your head, a two bob coin flies back.
The scoreboard was the best. Progress scores of all the games. I remember once, the game was so tense, you heard the score snap into position and everyone turned their heads to look at the update and the Berries scored a try at the southern end.
Oh yeah, the games were good too.
The old wog peanut seller had one arm from memory
Dad took us to some of those games

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I miss that old bloke who used to sell the hotdogs at the main gate entry at Belmore. He used to wear the white coat.
He used to wheel around this stainless steel cart that had boiled water in there where he kept his hotdogs nice and hot.
I used to love those super soft buns, and the hot English mustard on the way out after a great Friday night footy win on a cold winters night.
Those hotdogs helped with the 10 minute walk home in the cold weather.
They don't make hotdogs like they used to anymore