Ask a bulldogs old timer....

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

Whilst I realise I'm not the longest Bulldog supporting TK member here, I am definitely one of the veterans who has been supporting the dogs from asfar back as the mid nineties.

I still remember the Super league era, the 98 semi. The lead up to our 'enhanced' Grand final win, the heartache the year before, and everything after that.

So Just thought Id start up a memory thread of sorts to go through it all, bygone eras.

For example, we once had a player named Craig Polla Mounter. Melbourne born, QLD childhood, NSW teens. Good little nuggety player. Hard to tell what race he was as he had that look that could have been Leb, Greek, Anglo. Who knows.
he was with us for ten years before going to the cowboys, then returned to say Bye. Once nearly kicked a 50m field goal.

Dogs supporters would also be shocked to know we had a Zimbabwean dude from zimbabwe play for us too, and played 2 games, before pissing off to Rugby. Whats more, he is now the CEO of australian Rugby Union. So the last two CEOs have had dogs links!

These are examples of memories lost in time as the younger generation talk about newer legends like Kimmorley, Pritchard, Graham, DWZ, Mason etc

So thought if open up the floor to ask the old timers here (anyone can pitch in, not just myself) about anything and how things were back in the day.

Last edited:

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
90’s…. Old timer?

I go to 1968.

Before the Steward stand there was just an asphalt hill. And behind that asphalt hill there was a shitbox dilapidated wooden firetrap grandstand, not in use, from the time the ground was a true oval. it had the change rooms in it. And you could peek through the cracks in the joint to observe the teams warming up and getting half time talks etc.

And someone put a Tarzan rope on that grandstand which the kids had a great time on, until one day a kid.. not me.. fell off and went through the splintered floorboards up to his armpits, they had to power saw him out of it.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You're a bunnies supporter first and foremost from memory. End of
Nasheed here,

Whilst I realise I'm not the longest Bulldog supporting TK member here, I am definitely one of the veterans who has been supporting the dogs from asfar back as the mid nineties.

I still remember the Super league era, the 98 semi. The lead up to our 'enhanced' Grand final win, the heartache the year before, and everything after that.

So Just thought Id start up a memory thread of sorts to go through it all, bygone eras.

For example, we once had a player named Craig Polla Mounter. Melbourne born, QLD childhood, NSW teens. Good little nuggety player. Hard to tell what race he was as he had that look that could have been Leb, Greek, Anglo. Who knows.
he was with us for ten years before going to the cowboys, then returned to say Bye. Once nearly kicked a 50m field goal.

Dogs supporters would also be shocked to know we had a Zimbabwean dude from zimbabwe play for us too, and played 2 games, before pissing off to Rugby. Whats more, he is now the CEO of australian Rugby Union. So the last two CEOs have had dogs links!

These are examples of memories lost in time as the younger generation talk about newer legends like Kimmorley, Pritchard, Graham, DWZ, Mason etc

So thought if open up the floor to ask the old timers here (anyone can pitch in, not just myself) about anything and how things were back in the day.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

Mid nineties is just a pup. I don't consider myself an old timer & I have supported since the beginning of 1979!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dad started taking me to Dogs games at Belmore in the mid 70s when I was probably around 12. Steve Mortimer was always great both in attack (including his chip and chase) and the best cover defender I've ever seen. George Peponis would score tries virtually every time he got a play the ball right on the opposition tryline. One of my favourites was a tough second rower called Steve Hage. I still remember a game against the Sharks. A Sharks forward Steve Kneen (who played for Australia) gave Hage a bit of a tap on the head as Hage was playing the ball. The next time Kneen took a hit-up and Hage tackled him I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. I always liked hard second rowers who could hit hard.

I remember a game in the 70s against Manly when 3 players were sent off in the one game (Max Krillich - Manly hooker, Peponis, and Hage)

I remember being at the game at the SCG against Souths where Peter Kelly was sent off in the first minute and we still won the game

I remember that great comeback win against the Eels in a semi when we were down like 18-2 with only 9 minutes left

I remember the record breaking streak of wins in 2002 when our fast defence would make good teams and usually great players look ordinary / full of mistakes. That's what line speed pressure can do

I've watched all the Grand Finals wins since 1980. We've won the comp 6 times since I've been a supporter. Makes it harder to accept the way we are now I think.

Some of my favourite players over the years

Steve Mortimer. Have bumped into him a few times over the years around Revesby (pub, service station) and one of the Easter Show signing days when I was at school
Steve Hage - hard c..t
Mick Potter - great sidestep and always stepped the first defender when bringing the ball back from his own end
Hazem El Masri - he started off with real pace and ability to break the line (why we started calling him Magic) but he seemed to become slower for the majority of his career. One of the best goalickers of course and always great at coming in off his wing to shut down opposition backline raids
Steve O'Brien - a great winger who could step and had strength to break tackles
Allan Geelan - the year we won both the first grade and reserve grade comp in reserve grade he looked like he was going to be a star but he never lived up to it unfortunately
Mal Creevey - fast tiny half-back in the same reserve grade winning comp team. I remember one week where he scored 3 tries in reserve grade then was called up for first grade and scored another 3 (so 6 same day)
Jason Williams - fast winger with a fantastic side step
Jamal Idris - one of the best fends I've ever seen. I remember a game where he played all over Greg Inglis. I watched the highlights again recently
David Gillespie - could really smash players in defence
Dean Pay - could really smash in defence too. I remember that semi final when he smashed Glen Lazarus out of the game.
Geoff Robinson - man without fear. Hardest running forward. I remember a reserve grade game when someone tapped him on the head while he was playing the ball and he charged into 3 guys swinging punches at them all
Ewan McGrady - like Ben Barba in his day. Brilliant side step and lightning acceleration
Mark Brokenshire - underrated prop who was one of the best hitters we ever had also
Solomon Haumono - could smash people in defence and also break tackle after tackle in attack
Steve Folkes - could hit really well in defence for a smaller forward. Great technique. I used to learn karate at a gym he owned near Belmore for a while in the early 80s I think. He was always there.
Terry Lamb - never saw him play a bad game (even the one where he kicked a field goal late in the game when we were behind by 2 points. Best support player EVER. Tough as when tackling big forwards
Mark O'Meley - only player who could knock out opposing players while he was carrying the ball. Tough as. I remember a game where he came back from a broken jaw in NZ against the Warriors. He wasn't the least bit gun shy. Virtually took on the whole Warriors forward pack all by himself
Sonny Bill Williams - after only a few games in his first season of first grade I thought he was the best forward I'd ever seen. Every time he touched the ball he did something special. He started getting injured a a lot because he was always trying to twist and break tackles. I read he was advised to slow down for his own health. Loved his shoulder charge especially the one against the Panthers prop (can't remember his name). I was at that game.
Jason Hetherington - Hardest tackling hooker I've ever seen.
Sam Kasiano - loved watching him break tackles
Nigel Vagana - his 5 tries in that game against Souths I'll always remember. Best centre in the comp for a few years. Fast and great side step
Frank Pritchard - loved when he knocked out Wade Graham and someone else with massive shoulder charges.
Matt UtaI - loved watching him prove virtually unstoppable for defenders. So strong
Josh Morris - could be magic in attack especially the first few season he played with us
Remis Smith - 1 great game against the Dragons
Ben Barba - simply brilliant. 2012 probably the best players I've ever seen. Was pure magic. What a shame he wasted many more years of such skills

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I’ll end up getting lung cancer from all the second hand smoke that came out of the wog stand when my dad took me to Belmore in the early 90’s. My first real memory was a Friday night game against Manly in 93 or 94 it was a absolute war and we won. I’d been to many games before that but the proper passion for the club was born that night for me.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I’ll end up getting lung cancer from all the second hand smoke that came out of the wog stand when my dad took me to Belmore in the early 90’s. My first real memory was a Friday night game against Manly in 93 or 94 it was a absolute war and we won. I’d been to many games before that but the proper passion for the club was born that night for me.
Omg these Lebs and their tobacco

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Wow!!! How is that possible?? ...... A Zimbabwean dude from Zimbabwe!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I miss those days mate. My first experience in the wog stand was the mid eighties. I was hooked straight away. Friends would sit on the hill, but there’s no way you were dragging me out of the wog stand. Lol

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

Wow!!! How is that possible?? ...... A Zimbabwean dude from Zimbabwe!
Oh I know! Even for me this is wow. His name be Andy Marinos

btw- dogs should tap up white Zimbabwe. For a commujiyu of 25000 they have pumped out an insane amount of international athletes. This is forster + Taree population yo.
Yet we have seen;
Andy flower
Heath streak
Brendan Taylor
Andy marinos
Hilton Cartwright
that peacock dude from rugby
Colin degrandomme
Gary balance
Graeme hick etc

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s funny how a certain game really turns you into a mad supporter as a young fella
I remember being absolutely gutted losing to the raiders in the 94 gf
I think that was the point for me I went from loving the dogs as a kid to a blue and white tyrant lol