Ask a bulldogs old timer....

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Two of our very good fullbacks playing that game :grinning:

Brentnall and Turvey had some very innovative trick kicks at the time.

Memory failing but does anyone remember a penalty we got near opposition try line and Turvey turned his back and faced our try line kicked the ball backwards high over everyones head into the ingoal and a try was scored?

He said Brentnall showed him how to kick like that.
I think that game was Wagga v Berries Amco Cup 1975. If I remember correctly there was another trick kick they scored from that night. Maybe someone else remembers. I sure as shit can’t.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think that game was Wagga v Berries Amco Cup 1975. If I remember correctly there was another trick kick they scored from that night. Maybe someone else remembers. I sure as shit can’t.
"Mortimer burst onto the scene in 1975 as part of the Riverina team in the Amco Cup. The Wagga Wagga junior put his future club Canterbury to the sword in midweek contest and was quickly signed by Peter Moore. He was Man of the Match despite Riverina losing. 'Bullfrog', when asked about Mortimer's performance uttered the words "will never play against Canterbury-Bankstown ever again", and true to Bullfrog's word he never did. Mortimer captained Canterbury to Premierships in 1984 and 1985 and was a member of the 1980 and 1988 triumphs.

Ironically Mortimer was born in Yagoona, a stone’s throw from Bulldogs headquarters. But the Mortimer family moved to Wagga in 1961 due to young Steve’s asthma – his parents were worried about his health growing up in the polluted Sydney air."

Last edited: