Ask a bulldogs old timer....

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I was 9 that year. Not as lucky as you . My dad took me that year. Grew up in Narwee but dad took me to Belmore because Saints always won and was played boring footy. gameWas against North Sydney got beat 2-48 but I was hooked. Blue and white better than red and white. Sat next to Col Joy. I remember he didnt say a word. Very quite. I guessed he didnt want the attention and I was to shy to talk to him.I thought he must have been a Norths supporter as he was a pop star. Found out years later he was from Panania. Wasnt a good year for the berries from memory that draw that you saw was the only game we got points from. Always loved blue and still do.
Started the journey about half way into the season give or take and guess I was lucky to see a draw as they were winless until then.

Berries actually beat the Roosters at Belmore for their only win and was there too but the crowd was tiny. Tries were only worth three points back then and surprisingly Berries scored three of them. I remember some games were close but others a bit worse and used to like watching the match of the day on Channel 2. Got to see more games the following years as dad and Uncle attended more.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Loved Polly, little champ he was, took that game by the scruff of the neck the great man!
great player i played halfback in a 21's trial and he played 6 before he was signed, i went to parra instead

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Dogs wanted me but I went to Parra so they picked up Polly instead' .
i dont recall any steves playing halfback for parra
where did i quote that niff nuff and check the records you will find one

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mid nineties is just a pup. I don't consider myself an old timer & I have supported since the beginning of 1979!
Likewise started following in 79 I was 8.
Plenty of good
Memories in the 80s getting into
Belmore for free at half time.I worked with Robyn Thorne at a plumbing supply company in belmore.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Started the journey about half way into the season give or take and guess I was lucky to see a draw as they were winless until then.

Berries actually beat the Roosters at Belmore for their only win and was there too but the crowd was tiny. Tries were only worth three points back then and surprisingly Berries scored three of them. I remember some games were close but others a bit worse and used to like watching the match of the day on Channel 2. Got to see more games the following years as dad and Uncle attended more.
Great memories... And comentators just comented on what was happening on the field. Not like these idiots on channel nine and fox. I really dont care what they do on their day off....

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Plenty of good
Belmore for free at half time.I worked with Robyn Thorne at a plumbing supply company in belmore.
Didn't Robin sell his GF medal at one stage?

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think I’ll end up getting lung cancer from all the second hand smoke that came out of the wog stand when my dad took me to Belmore in the early 90’s. My first real memory was a Friday night game against Manly in 93 or 94 it was a absolute war and we won. I’d been to many games before that but the proper passion for the club was born that night for me.
That manly side of 1994-1996 is under rated in how good it was, you knew you were going to get hit hard

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My first Dogs memory, and where the passion was born, was the 1980 GF. My dad took me to the SCG - I was 5. Couldn't see a thing because there were so many people, so much noise and I was too short, with sun in my eyes, but I remember the sounds, and moreso, the feeling of pride! I would always go to BSG and sit on the Eastern side... on the wooden bench seats and watch from third grade onwards... I would always get so antsy waiting for the firsts, budding my dad for the sugar roasted peanuts, the fresh hot dogs, cans of drink... I remember one time getting a splinter the size of a nail in my butt cheek... from that same spot, my dad and I created memories I now tell my kids about... I remind my dad now of things he'd forgotten or taken for granted that me, as a kid didn't... they were truly the days... no TV screen... you had to guess if a try was scored on the opposite corner, just follow the crowd... being up close to the play, so close you could smell the dencorub. You could heard the tackles and the players yelling instructions to each other. Watching Lamb, the Mortimers, the Hughes', Gillespie, Folkes, Langmack, Potter, Kelly, Bugden, Tunks and of course Billy Johnstone. Seeing him bash the shit out of Les Boyd at the end of a scrum 10 metres away was frikken awesome... I was swinging air punches at 8 or 9 years old... It was especially tense when we'd play the Eels, or Manly. Seeing Sterling, Ella and Kenny - I loved but hated them. The walk back to the car, with thousands of other dogs fans, through the streets of Belmore then getting stuck in traffic for 45 mins whilst listening to the radio, 2gb or 2ue... most often we'd win, but damn it was miserable if we lost. I've enjoyed our successes through the 90s and early 2000s and follow the club religiously, but they're nothing compared to the 1980s where we were tough, uncompromising, exciting and respected... i was the perfect age, and could tell you any stat... I remember that era in the same way the movie Stand By Me is made... fondly, the best years of life, where things were simpler and better, and sadly, never to be relived... im not happy where the club is today... none of us are... but somehow, some way, we'll climb back to the top, I just hope it's soon. My own son, now 14, has memories of 2 lost GFs and years of under performance. The poor kid... he said 2 weeks ago when watching the SOO, "dad, its so good to follow a team that actually dominates and wins"... to his credit he's loyal and hopeful... anyway, sorry for the long post... its what happens when you drift off into the old memory bank... love you doggy fans!!!

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep the 80's. Back when the club was the "family club". The players loved the club, fans loved the players and everyone of us gave our all, either on the field or yelling support from the stands or grass. How things have changed. I would love to see those days return for you young blokes and girls.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me feel sorry for the newer generation of fans. Anyone pre 2014 was pretty spoilt with some great memories of the club and it’s players. The poor bastards these days will be telling their kids about the exploits of the likes of Montoya, Holland and Liccha.
Well son lewis threw a cutout pass that broke your mothers nose in row 15 of the grandstand................................................................

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Plenty of good
Yeah, sometimes was unable to get to the lower grades and beginning of first grade and could simply walk in the Canterbury rd end of the ground after half time to sample what was left. Those were the days mate... nothing for free in the NRL anymore....

I thought that the powers that be were promoting the fact that all three grades were to be held on the same day, same ground. Maybe with sides like Pampers and Knights but not us.....

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
they used to have schoolboys 9's play at the end of reserve grade, we played before a packed house at belmore, thats when parra used it as a home ground, great memories.
It was a good ground to play at

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I'm old enough to remember when St.George cheated against us by using rubber balls!
DT 14-5-1935 V St.George Match Review.png