News Arthur Laundy demands answers on Trent Barrett

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think you are being naive and a bit alarmist to say that a massive club that's been around for 87 years will struggle to find a sponsor when we have some great administrators at the club.
Lol how am I being alarmist when the club has played for long periods without a front of jersey sponsor twice since the turn of the millennium and are currently looking like strong candidates for back to back spoons. Attracting major sponsors in this type of climate is not an easy task, no matter how skilled our administrators may be. All I said is I don't think it will be easy to attract a new front of jersey sponsor at the moment, and I don't think people should just take for granted that Warburton has another one up his sleeve or can easily find one. If Laundy's sponsorship isn't renewed and we find a new one, I'll be the first to commend him.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Arthur.

You are a sponsor, you do not own the club.

Have a nice day and FUCK OFF!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lol how am I being alarmist when the club has played for long periods without a front of jersey sponsor twice since the turn of the millennium and are currently looking like strong candidates for back to back spoons. Attracting major sponsors in this type of climate is not an easy task, no matter how skilled our administrators may be. All I said is I don't think it will be easy to attract a new front of jersey sponsor at the moment, and I don't think people should just take for granted that Warburton has another one up his sleeve or can easily find one. If Laundy's sponsorship isn't renewed and we find a new one, I'll be the first to commend him.
Twice in 22 years we went a few months without a sponsor.. And guess what happened? The club survived and found another sponsor!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You got your free 5 second advertisement now fuck off back in your hole.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Twice in 22 years we went a few months without a sponsor.. And guess what happened? The club survived and found another sponsor!
Not a few months ...we went for seasons without one. 1.5 seasons between Jaycar terminating and Laundy being announced and at least one full season with Camp Quality on the front....possibly longer, I can't really recall.

I never suggested the club wouldn't survive. But lacking a major sponsor is obviously going to impact the club financially and it's best to avoid that.

You accuse me of alarmism, but I think you're the one being a bit hyperbolic here, tbh.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's all fine. But he doesn't need to run to the media about it. He did the same with Elliott and on other issues. Fans hate sponsors that constantly talk shit in the media. Johnstone and the Rashays idiot were the same. All Laundys comments do is make things seem even more dysfunctional.
Mate I get it, but trust me when push comes to shove the Bulldogs always comes first in Arthur’s eyes.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So Laundy saved the club the same way V'Landys saved Rugby League? The club survived for 85 years before him and will do just fine without him.
Not looking for an argument but fail to see how this comment is relevant. But I will bite and say have a look back at what you are saying. The only reason the club survived the last few years has been on the back of leagues club money to the tune of around $5m per year. They source their profits the same way Arthur does. So it is ok for us to get our money from the club but when it comes from Arthur he is some evil person ruining people's lives? Fact is without poker machine money the club would've folded years ago, or at least been forced to merge or relocate to survive.

Our brand has been declining for many years. Most of my bulldogs mates kids have defected to supporting other clubs. I am just hanging on to keeping my 13 year old boy who plays and loves nrl a supporter. My whole family are season ticket holders for over a decade, myself for a lot longer, and we haven't been to a game in the last 2 years. In all my involvement in junior league I am yet to meet a kid who supports the dogs who's parents aren't supporters. With no new fans, changing demographics to our heartland, negative image, and poor on field performances, I struggle to see new sponsorship money. I have a university degree with a marketing major which gives me some grasp on how marketing works and fail to see our marketability as a club. I really want your take on how and why we are so attractive to companies and how we would survive without the likes of someone like Arthur and poker machine money.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not looking for an argument but fail to see how this comment is relevant. But I will bite and say have a look back at what you are saying. The only reason the club survived the last few years has been on the back of leagues club money to the tune of around $5m per year. They source their profits the same way Arthur does. So it is ok for us to get our money from the club but when it comes from Arthur he is some evil person ruining people's lives? Fact is without poker machine money the club would've folded years ago, or at least been forced to merge or relocate to survive.

Our brand has been declining for many years. Most of my bulldogs mates kids have defected to supporting other clubs. I am just hanging on to keeping my 13 year old boy who plays and loves nrl a supporter. My whole family are season ticket holders for over a decade, myself for a lot longer, and we haven't been to a game in the last 2 years. In all my involvement in junior league I am yet to meet a kid who supports the dogs who's parents are supporters. With no new fans, changing demographics to our heartland, negative image, and poor on field performances, I struggle to see new sponsorship money. I have a university degree with a marketing major which gives me some grasp on how marketing works and fail to see our marketability as a club. I really want your take on how and why we are so attractive to companies and how we would survive without the likes of someone like Arthur and poker machine money.
We are constantly in the media regardless of where we are coming. If we start winning-which will happen eventually, doggies supporters will be everywhere.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are constantly in the media regardless of where we are coming. If we start winning-which will happen eventually, doggies supporters will be everywhere.
How does that pay our bills?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Our brand has been declining for many years. Most of my bulldogs mates kids have defected to supporting other clubs. I am just hanging on to keeping my 13 year old boy who plays and loves nrl a supporter. My whole family are season ticket holders for over a decade, myself for a lot longer, and we haven't been to a game in the last 2 years. In all my involvement in junior league I am yet to meet a kid who supports the dogs who's parents are supporters. With no new fans, changing demographics to our heartland, negative image, and poor on field performances, I struggle to see new sponsorship money. I have a university degree with a marketing major which gives me some grasp on how marketing works and fail to see our marketability as a club. I really want your take on how and why we are so attractive to companies and how we would survive without the likes of someone like Arthur and poker machine money.
If we'd struggle to find a sponsor so much, then why has Warburton signed multiple sponsors the last few weeks? I know finding minor sponsors is easier, but it's obvious we're in a far better place off the field and with our salary cap as well as having better talent with some signings this year and those coming in next year.

We're a big club with a huge fanbase... We have Warburton who has connections everywhere with sponsors as well as Gus who is one of the most powerful people in Rugby League. Did you ever see Penrith struggle to get sponsors when he was there? I don't get the fear of struggling to find a sponsor without Laundy.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Disagree
Unless you know what he was told prior to signing the sponsorship agreement then maybe it has some substance. If he was told he would be involved in how the club is run or recruitment decisions etc you could understand. Otherwise he needs to stop talking to the media.
He wants the status of a nick politis amongst the rugby league world to inflate his ego. Why would he talk to the newspaper first and quote "then I'll text Gus", text? Please. You would ring if you felt that emotional about it. All he wants is media attention.
Your a sponsor, you pay for avertisment expoaure for your business. Unless you wanted another wooden spoon with your sponsorship package then keep Barrett. Most sponsors want to be affiliated with success, more jerseys sales, attention etc. As mentioned we play in the worst timeslots, bottom of the ladder. So Arthur is happy with this?
Imo a sponsor should be consulted if the club has breached/cheated or a player has brought the club into disrepute. You could understand a sponsors point of view then.
Sacking a coach because he's a friend of 20yrs? Then try and be passive aggressive about staying or leaving? Leave please.
He isn't a real fan of the club anyhow, pretty sure he is a tigers fan. If you want to be involved then get elected on the board.
Muppet

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Disagree
Unless you know what he was told prior to signing the sponsorship agreement then maybe it has some substance. If he was told he would be involved in how the club is run or recruitment decisions etc you could understand. Otherwise he needs to stop talking to the media.
He wants the status of a nick politis amongst the rugby league world to inflate his ego. Why would he talk to the newspaper first and quote "then I'll text Gus", text? Please. You would ring if you felt that emotional about it. All he wants is media attention.
Your a sponsor, you pay for avertisment expoaure for your business. Unless you wanted another wooden spoon with your sponsorship package then keep Barrett. Most sponsors want to be affiliated with success, more jerseys sales, attention etc. As mentioned we play in the worst timeslots, bottom of the ladder. So Arthur is happy with this?
Imo a sponsor should be consulted if the club has breached/cheated or a player has brought the club into disrepute. You could understand a sponsors point of view then.
Sacking a coach because he's a friend of 20yrs? Then try and be passive aggressive about staying or leaving? Leave please.
He isn't a real fan of the club anyhow, pretty sure he is a tigers fan. If you want to be involved then get elected on the board.
Muppet
I think it's pretty standard practice for a club to inform sponsors of decisions like this, as a courtesy. I'm not surprised Laundy has a few questions. The fact he wasn't notified suggests one of two things to me ...either he is on the outer and the club is not looking to renew him, or the timing of Baz's resignation took the club by surprise. I think the latter scenario is most likely, because I don't think it would be easy for the club to line up a new FOJ sponsor right now. Perhaps they thought Barrett would take a bit longer to ponder his future. Or perhaps I am wrong and Warburton already has a new sponsor in mind.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How does that pay our bills?
Being a highly supported team who constantly in the media, clickbait articles everyday with bulldog jerseys everywhere is what a sponsors pays their money for. Our club provides that more than anyone so we are a good option for a sponsor. Increased performance places us in a higher bracket of sponsor value. We also don't need the money because our leagues club is rich

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we'd struggle to find a sponsor so much, then why has Warburton signed multiple sponsors the last few weeks? I know finding minor sponsors is easier, but it's obvious we're in a far better place off the field and with our salary cap as well as having better talent with some signings this year and those coming in next year.

We're a big club with a huge fanbase... We have Warburton who has connections everywhere with sponsors as well as Gus who is one of the most powerful people in Rugby League. Did you ever see Penrith struggle to get sponsors when he was there? I don't get the fear of struggling to find a sponsor without Laundy.
Fair points and I agree with all of them except one. Penrith has the biggest catchment of junior league in NSW. They have their own stadium and a leagues club only second to ours in profits. The area also has a much larger disposable income compared to ours. They have had their fair share of off field drama, but handle it much better than we have in the past as they don't have media agendas against them. Penrith are much more marketable and attractive to sponsors, even before they were premiers. We are nowhere near as in good a shape as Penrith were when Gus went in.