No Source Are we actually going to address our biggest issue?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It really concerns me I still have not seen us linked ti any 9s, honestly our biggest issue, id even take Danny Levi who is leaving Manly at the end of the season at this rate, hes better than JMK. JMK has been there for years and we have always looked clueless at 9, we need to spend big money on that position as its arguably our biggest problem, we literally have the worst 9 in the league. If we dont improve in that area, we ll be near bottom for a while.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Levi is worse than Lichaa. We'd be better off sticking with JMK (I'd also say Levi is worse than JMK). We need a top hooker. If the Storm hookers go on the market we have to put in a massive offer to both of them.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Levi is worse than Lichaa. We'd be better off sticking with JMK (I'd also say Levi is worse than JMK). We need a top hooker. If the Storm hookers go on the market we have to put in a massive offer to both of them.
You see im not saying I rate Levi but hes not worse than JMK, JMK is a half playing 9, never creates anything , atleast with Levi hes an actual 9. Agree completely, we need to go at a top hooker

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
It really concerns me I still have not seen us linked ti any 9s, honestly our biggest issue, id even take Danny Levi who is leaving Manly at the end of the season at this rate, hes better than JMK. JMK has been there for years and we have always looked clueless at 9, we need to spend big money on that position as its arguably our biggest problem, we literally have the worst 9 in the league. If we dont improve in that area, we ll be near bottom for a while.
Nasheed here,
I think the lack of urgency stems from the belief, either from Trent, or the club, that Trent will bring out the best of JMK and make him a star like Api.
JMK has the attributes so why not?

I still think they are looking for one externally, but the above is why there's no sense of urgency.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I love how every kicks up a stink that we aren't signing big names in positions. 1st you can't honestly think we aren't trying to get big names. They have to be on the market and want to come. If we pay huge overs than we are back to the shit heap we come from. Signing players who are available and want to come isn't going to be easy. Hopefully after Nov1 we sign a player for 2022 that may get a release for next season.. Majority of the players in the squad now won't be here come 2023 2024. You can't change 15 players in 1 year it takes 3years. Baz would have a list he wants already. It may take 2 years. Remember we made a play for Turpin, Robson and Grant, we almost had Api if not for a last minute reneg.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I think the lack of urgency stems from the belief, either from Trent, or the club, that Trent will bring out the best of JMK and make him a star like Api.
JMK has the attributes so why not?

I still think they are looking for one externally, but the above is why there's no sense of urgency.
JMK shows great glimpses people don’t see how much ground he can gain with his scoots ?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he's an attacking coaches dream.
If you prescribe to the notion that a good coach gets satisfaction from turning someone good into great.
He is potentially an attacking weapon. The next stage for him is to show some leadership and talk more. Communicate with the halves especially when in attacking position. Tolman on the 4th is partly because JMK doesn’t tell him to get out of the way like an experienced 9 would. He does some great things but in the oppositions 20 he still plays like a rookie. Hopefully this is where Baz can take his game to another level. Assuming we don’t sign a 9.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sold that JMK is as big an issue for us as some make out. Let’s face it our halves and full back are deadset ordinary and offer no creativity. Couple this with the fact that we get very little go forward from our forwards and slow play the balls. If these areas are improved you might see there is a decent player in JMK. He defends well, his passing game isn’t to shabby, and he has pace and can break the line when he runs from dummy half. I think with a bit more creativity in the halves and some better coaching we have the makings of a cheap and decent 9. We wouldn’t need a creative 9 if our halves were better.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is potentially an attacking weapon. The next stage for him is to show some leadership and talk more. Communicate with the halves especially when in attacking position. Tolman on the 4th is partly because JMK doesn’t tell him to get out of the way like an experienced 9 would. He does some great things but in the oppositions 20 he still plays like a rookie. Hopefully this is where Baz can take his game to another level. Assuming we don’t sign a 9.
I agree with you for the most part. But the 4th tackle Tolman Issue is more a reflection on the halves and coaches .The halves need to get in as first and second receiver when we are in the 20. They also need to get the ball to our backline rather than find a back rower .

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
could it be possible that some players have been signed but wont be announced til after the season is over ? Hopefully that is the case and as teams are knocked out of finals we may get some news.

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We are waiting on Cam Smith decision like everyone else ! after Nov 1st, we can offer contracts to new players. Until then we wait

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Undoubtably the most important position to fill is that of fullback.
The fullback must have speed, good positioning sense and the ability to tackle.
He must also be able to position his support players. Where do we find this player?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are 4 number 9s who are off contract (or have been given the option to explore):

1) Levi
2) McCullough
3) Peats
4) Friend

Then we have the Cameron Smith situation, which will also put a 5th on the market (one would think - and more than likely Brandon Smith).

I personally would prefer B Smith of the lot (like I am sure many of us would) - but I would not discount any of the above 4 off the bat (probably with the exception of Levi).

We saw what a change of scenery could do for a player like McCullough - he was playing really well at the Knights before cruelled by injury. Peats is a former Origin player (and scenery change may bode him well), and Friend is a 3 x premiership winner. Levi is probably the only one I would put a hard no to - have not seen much in the way for him to suggest he will be a player of 200 + FG games.

It has not been addressed it - I personally think because we are going hard for B Smith. And it's the whole Cam Smith situation that will not let that unravel further.

Whilst I have had no trust in the board to make the right decisions the last year or so - I personally think they are making the right one here.

Malla

Reaction score
This is not a bad thing

If there are no good hookers worth the risk, then why bother? We missed out on Api last year unfortunately. But imagine locking Levi in for a few years, hes atrocious.

I wouldn't mind Mcginnes if we get the chance to offer him anything.

Malla

Reaction score
There are 4 number 9s who are off contract (or have been given the option to explore):

1) Levi
2) McCullough
3) Peats
4) Friend

Then we have the Cameron Smith situation, which will also put a 5th on the market (one would think - and more than likely Brandon Smith).

I personally would prefer B Smith of the lot (like I am sure many of us would) - but I would not discount any of the above 4 off the bat (probably with the exception of Levi).

We saw what a change of scenery could do for a player like McCullough - he was playing really well at the Knights before cruelled by injury. Peats is a former Origin player (and scenery change may bode him well), and Friend is a 3 x premiership winner. Levi is probably the only one I would put a hard no to - have not seen much in the way for him to suggest he will be a player of 200 + FG games.

It has not been addressed it - I personally think because we are going hard for B Smith. And it's the whole Cam Smith situation that will not let that unravel further.

Whilst I have had no trust in the board to make the right decisions the last year or so - I personally think they are making the right one here.
McCullough had a bad injury so not sure

Levi is a poor mans Lichaa

Peats, I actually don't mind.

Friend would be amazing, but that's a pipe dream. Can't see him leaving Chooks.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
McCullough had a bad injury so not sure

Levi is a poor mans Lichaa

Peats, I actually don't mind.

Friend would be amazing, but that's a pipe dream. Can't see him leaving Chooks.
He virtually has a 1 year deal option in his favour every year.

Definitely can see him being a 1 man club - but he is also in a similar boat to Smith in that he is holding the seat of player who is said to have massive potential (Verilis and Lussick).

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s any point in replacing JMK and kotoa since they are as good as the off contract options bar maybe friend but why would he leave the roosters? We would no doubt have a crack at a top hooker though if he came on the market, Brandon Smith for example. Wish we had of landed Api so we wouldn’t have to think about #9 for a while. I think I would still prefer Brandon Smith over him though seems more of a bulldog hooker.