No Source Are we actually going to address our biggest issue?

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would sign James Roby any day of the week after watching him play the other night this guy is 34 years old plays like he's 21 he's easily has another 2 years in him. Would be good to have In the squad and someone to learn off under him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK has been shit for years, how many more years of failure at 9 do we have before someone gets rid.
I honestly don't think he's been that bad. His service isn't bad, he's got a decent running game when he opts to use it. Just seems that his first choice of passes needs some work. With a bit of coaching and better attacking structures instilled in the whole 17 that could easily improve. Compared to Lichaa he's a lot further along and simpler to develop.

I'll be happy if we get lucky and pick up a hooker with great instincts and all the skills to help make those instincts useful. But I think there's only about three or four that match that description in Australia. Chances are that any hooker we do pick up will be a work in progress too. Best case scenario is that C. Smith plays on and one of Brandon Smith or Grant wants out. But if either does want out they'll be in demand and maybe won't wind up with us anyway. So on the whole I'll hope that the main ingredient lacking in the development of JMK or Katoa was a good coach and that Barrett is that coach.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly don't think he's been that bad. His service isn't bad, he's got a decent running game when he opts to use it. Just seems that his first choice of passes needs some work. With a bit of coaching and better attacking structures instilled in the whole 17 that could easily improve. Compared to Lichaa he's a lot further along and simpler to develop.

I'll be happy if we get lucky and pick up a hooker with great instincts and all the skills to help make those instincts useful. But I think there's only about three or four that match that description in Australia. Chances are that any hooker we do pick up will be a work in progress too. Best case scenario is that C. Smith plays on and one of Brandon Smith or Grant wants out. But if either does want out they'll be in demand and maybe won't wind up with us anyway. So on the whole I'll hope that the main ingredient lacking in the development of JMK or Katoa was a good coach and that Barrett is that coach.
Mate I appreciate your opinion but if you actually rate JMK you are mad, the bloke has been so bad for the past few seasons. He can tackle, yes but theres a reason at different points of the season, both Pay and Georgallis decided to bring Katoa in to try him out as JMK simply wasnt working. 9 is such a huge position these days, I mean look at Penrith getting Korisau, he transformed them into premiership contenders, JMK is just very average and until we take that next step to a very good 9, we ll never push to where we want the club, premiership contenders/winners.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mate I appreciate your opinion but if you actually rate JMK you are mad, the bloke has been so bad for the past few seasons. He can tackle, yes but theres a reason at different points of the season, both Pay and Georgallis decided to bring Katoa in to try him out as JMK simply wasnt working. 9 is such a huge position these days, I mean look at Penrith getting Korisau, he transformed them into premiership contenders, JMK is just very average and until we take that next step to a very good 9, we ll never push to where we want the club, premiership contenders/winners.
Thing about this is that while Koroisau was rated as a pretty good hooker last year, he wasn't rated as highly as this year by a long shot. So it remains to be seen if Barrett was in any way responsible for getting him to that point. He certainly wasn't instrumental in his former teams.

But I really think you are a harsh judge. I think a lot of the player shuffling was a result of coaches knowing their jobs were threatened throwing hail Mary's.

I'm not going to keep arguing the point though. Just think you are harsh saying he's been as poor as you imply.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
i agree this is his make or break year, but he was good in the back end. there is potential there, he has speed and can defend.
cook was a late bloomer dont forget.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% agree with you.
The only thing that reduces how ordinary JMK's play was is the fact that he was usually operating with 2 halves that were either very raw still, or simply $#!+
In saying that I don't believe he would be much better with better halves. He may be worth playing behind a great 9 (which we simply have to sign!), getting 10 mins at the end of a half when the defence is tired & he can use his pace...maybe...but probably better off instead with a 14 (NOT JMK) who can also play dummy half if needed..

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We will be at the Twin Willows my family have going there 25+ years for Melbourne Cup
Willows the place to be on cup day. Used to live backing up to the old willows. Been thete one or two times :p

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willows the place to be on cup day. Used to live backing up to the old willows. Been thete one or two times :p
Food gone downhill the last few years but they change it up for cup day.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much prefer to wait rather than buy salary sucking trash like Levi or peats. 2021 is a bust anyway so look for hooker in future years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Baz can probably do wonders for JMK. Will see it as a challenge that he can turn him into a great 9...and we may need to use those funds for someone else or position.

If Baz can do that and save us sc money, it would be good.

I can't imagine Baz not having a good hooker/dummy half as a priority in his plans. We wait to find out :grinning:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think the club is doing an amazing job in terms of recruitment this off season so far. I think no. 7 was ourmost important priority and we were able to get a great result there. Not saying hooker isn't a priority but rate it equal to the other spine positions, plus everything seems to be riding on what Cameron Smith will do. Can only recruit what's available.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My question is are nasheed and d holland the same person as when holland is throwing rumours around no nash and vice versa
I'd say yes if Nasheed was liking everything D Holland said and vice versa. Especially if it were Best Posts if they were still available.

He might be banned but Nasheed is still out there.