I just got a ST auto turbo diesel 4x4
It’s amazing
My wife’s car is a Santa Fe
I have had it on Stockton beach
It out performed my mates x trail
The x trail awd system kept over heating
Had to stop to let it cool all the time
The Santa Fe killed it
I'm amazed. I've had many people tell me that the Santa Fe's high range is the worst for beach driving, but any 4WD system is better than an AWD system on the beach.

Apparently the X-Trail 4WD beats the Santa Fe 4WD off road but they're both going to look average compared to a truck with low range.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder if its covered under warranty if it shits itself.. should really look into it
Depends how the gearbox gets screwed. One thing about 4WDing is that you can very easily wreck your gearbox. You have a higher chance of wrecking your gearbox if you have a manual. The trade off is if you blow a gear with an auto gearbox then you're stranded. If you blow a gear with a manual gearbox then you can still work around it.

If they realise that you were 4WDing when the gearbox blew then it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s the type of gearbox that’s in the x trail that’s shit
Ctc or some shit
Same as in outlander
So many better options on the market
Subaru options are way better
CVT, and yep. The earlier X-Trails used a CVT only for the petrol models but it looks like it's used for petrol and diesel now in which case I'd probably avoid the X-Trail.

CVT works by adjusting the timing in an attempt to save fuel and make the drive smoother. Problem is that it's like constantly shifting gears at the wrong time. Eventually the transmission will grind down and gears will start slipping or the gearbox will blow out altogether.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Come and see me and I'll sell you a BT50

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Suzuki Grand Vitara, Kia Sorrento, Hyundai Santa Fe, Isuzu Mu-X, Ford Everest
Honestly if it came down to these or the X-Trail, I'd go either the Vitara or the Mu-X. Both have low range options when it comes to 4WDing so they'll out do all of the others on the beach and off-road. But if they're not comfortable on road then it's probably not worth it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly if it came down to these or the X-Trail, I'd go either the Vitara or the Mu-X. Both have low range options when it comes to 4WDing so they'll out do all of the others on the beach and off-road. But if they're not comfortable on road then it's probably not worth it.
Suzuki have always made really decent cars at a good price... just not at the forefront of many modern cons. Grand Vitara is cheaper than both too.

That same family that have an Outlander have a DMax (I think they call it). The ute. It's their business vehicle for rural fencing, so I know it has a low range as that's one thing they needed, BUT the clearance was worse than Outlander once a winch was put on the back of tray along with generator.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Suzuki have always made really decent cars at a good price... just not at the forefront of many modern cons. Grand Vitara is cheaper than both too.

That same family that have an Outlander have a DMax (I think they call it). The ute. It's their business vehicle for rural fencing, so I know it has a low range as that's one thing they needed, BUT the clearance was worse than Outlander once a winch was put on the back of tray along with generator.
Mu-X doesn't have that much clearance either but more clearance than the softroaders and you can put a decent lift kit on it for a few grand.

A

Alexander the Great

Mu-X doesn't have that much clearance either but more clearance than the softroaders and you can put a decent lift kit on it for a few grand.
Ive had a look on the X-trail forum and it sounds like they can be driven as a 4x4 but you guys are right..they tend to over heat and the clearance is not the best.
I may look into a lift kit to solve one issue but the other will depend on how im driving it and how long for.

I think the main thing is for me to work out what settings i need to use in what conditions....

Even though majority of the feeback ive got is to stay away im in love with the car/shape/cost.. so i think im gonna throw the dice on this and go with my gut.

I dont see myself getting away more than twice a year for a trip conserding i have a bub on the way which will cut down my fishing time id assume....

Thanks again for the input/advice guys.

A

Alexander the Great

ive had a look online for a lift kit and sounds like a good idea if im having alot of issues first time i take it out for a hit.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sante Fe is a great on-road car but attempting any kind of off-road would be suicide. They use an on-demand high range 4WD system similar to the X-Trail but it's designed for road driving in wet/icy conditions while the X-Trail's High range is designed for dirt. Technically it means you can take the Santa Fe off road and on a beach but it will constantly attempt to dig itself into a hole on a beach and won't have any traction in mud.
Mine goes great on Stockton beach
I was surprised
In saying that
I keep it to safe sections of the beach and not dunes

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm amazed. I've had many people tell me that the Santa Fe's high range is the worst for beach driving, but any 4WD system is better than an AWD system on the beach.

Apparently the X-Trail 4WD beats the Santa Fe 4WD off road but they're both going to look average compared to a truck with low range.
True that
I looking forward to giving the new navara a workout on the beach

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
CVT, and yep. The earlier X-Trails used a CVT only for the petrol models but it looks like it's used for petrol and diesel now in which case I'd probably avoid the X-Trail.

CVT works by adjusting the timing in an attempt to save fuel and make the drive smoother. Problem is that it's like constantly shifting gears at the wrong time. Eventually the transmission will grind down and gears will start slipping or the gearbox will blow out altogether.
That’s the one
You know your stuff mate

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
True that
I looking forward to giving the new navara a workout on the beach
My mate got a new Navara about 6 months back. We've taken it through some pretty heavy stuff already. All over the beaches and some decent off roading.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My mate got a new Navara about 6 months back. We've taken it through some pretty heavy stuff already. All over the beaches and some decent off roading.
Is it stock or has he lifted his suspension

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it stock or has he lifted his suspension
Stock. He's planning to get a lift but they have decent clearance as stock. Just have to be careful with certain areas due to the long wheel base.

A

Alexander the Great

Stock. He's planning to get a lift but they have decent clearance as stock. Just have to be careful with certain areas due to the long wheel base.
If i do go forward with the Xtrail would you suggest i get a lift kit later on down the track? what else do you think i could do to give myslef a bit more of a chance to not get bogged/fk up the car?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If i do go forward with the Xtrail would you suggest i get a lift kit later on down the track? what else do you think i could do to give myslef a bit more of a chance to not get bogged/fk up the car?
Basically just a lift kit and larger tires. You can handle most basic 4WD beaches without a lift kit but it'll help. Also reducing the tire pressure. I generally reduce it to 20 but if you're having issues and getting bogged easier then reduce it even further. Also try to not overload the vehicle with junk. The less weight the better.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that you'll eventually get bogged. It's inevitable. Everyone gets bogged at least a few times no matter what they're driving. So just make sure you're prepared to get bogged.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty popular with the soccer moms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.