Advice on the Nissan X- trail

• Thread starter Alexander the Great
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alexander the Great

Tk.. needing some advice from any members about the X-trail.

ill be mainly using it for beach driving/family run around car.

Ive found a few 4X4 diesel options and they drive pretty nice.

2017 Nissan X-Trail TS T32. That is the model im currently looking at.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

The Eye

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Does it have to be the X-Trail? Because personally for I wouldn't buy a 4x4 diesel for a family run car. I'll buy 2... a 4x4 diesel off roader (Hilux 4x4 SR5 duel cab) and then buy a 2nd hand car for the runs. Perhaps a 2nd hand Corolla or Mazda 3. Obviously depends on your budget, but I wouldn't use a 4x4 diesel as a family car for budget purposes, hence the recommendation of buying a 2nd car 2nd hand.

A

Alexander the Great

Does it have to be the X-Trail? Because personally for I wouldn't buy a 4x4 diesel for a family run car. I'll buy 2... a 4x4 diesel off roader (Hilux 4x4 SR5 duel cab) and then buy a 2nd hand car for the runs. Perhaps a 2nd hand Corolla or Mazda 3. Obviously depends on your budget, but I wouldn't use a 4x4 diesel as a family car for budget purposes, hence the recommendation of buying a 2nd car 2nd hand.
Ive got my heart set on the X-trail...
only looking to spend around 40k so 3 cars is out the window.

When 4x4 driving is there a performance difference between Normal petrol and Diesel? way outta my league on this topic

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

When 4x4 driving is there a performance difference between Normal petrol and Diesel? way outta my league on this topic
It's best to get an SUV that can convert between 4WD and 2WD. AWD and 4WD drive systems can add perhaps hundreds of kgs to a car's curb weight (depending on the model) and that extra bulk can have a big impact on fuel usage. That's because an engine has to work harder to move a heavier car, which means more fuel is used to move a 4WD car the same distance as one with 2WD.

Diesel burns a lot slower than unleaded however it costs more which is why I suggest a 2/4WD compatible unleaded car. Using Diesel for normal run around is not a smart move financially.

A

Alexander the Great

It's best to get an SUV that can convert between 4WD and 2WD. AWD and 4WD drive systems can add perhaps hundreds of kgs to a car's curb weight (depending on the model) and that extra bulk can have a big impact on fuel usage. That's because an engine has to work harder to move a heavier car, which means more fuel is used to move a 4WD car the same distance as one with 2WD.

Diesel burns a lot slower than unleaded however it costs more which is why I suggest a 2/4WD compatible unleaded car. Using Diesel for normal run around is not a smart move financially.
Ok thanks.. IM pretty sure you can adjust the settings on the X-trail from 2wd/4wd...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The older X-Trails were pretty rubbish but the Newer models (2016 onwards) are pretty decent. The only thing to keep in mind is that they can't handle any real 4WDing but they can handle beaches and rough roads fine.

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
mate i have a 2010 subaru outback diesel. Used for exactly what you are saying. bought for $15000 will go anywhere the x trail will go, sticks to the tar like shit to the sheets and easily gets over 1000kms to the tank. 40k would buy you an awesome outback. I would personally choose a diesel over an unleaded. Like the person above said the diesels need a good ran every now and than to stop the manifold from 'sooting up'. Needs to get hot and burn the gases away. drive it like you stole it and she'll be sweet.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Not a huge difference. On the beach a Diesel is technically better as it has more torque at low range but the difference isn't huge.

The thing to keep in mind with offroading is that there's different types of 4WD. As Wahesh mentioned, it's best if you can get one that switches between 4WD and 2WD. This saves petrol and tires. Always avoid AWD. 4WD and AWD are not the same thing. AWD runs all 4 wheels with the same speed and is generally like a 2WD car but all 4 wheels are spinning at the same time. 4WD operates wheels independently depending on the type of 4WD. It'll either operate each wheel separately or operate the front and rear wheels separately. This means if some of the wheels aren't gripping then the speed of the other wheels will adjust to avoid you turning around in circles or losing grip.

Now here comes the part which is most important to keep in mind. The Nissan X-Trail uses High Range 4WD. High Range is used to give more grip at high speeds. While it will work on the beach or in mud, it won't be ideal. You have a higher chance of digging yourself into the sand or the mud. This can be countered by lowering your tire pressure and controlling your speed but it's not ideal. If you can find an X-Trail with low range 4WD then this would be much better but I don't believe they've ever had low range.

If you're not 100% set on an Xtrail then you would be better off with a newer model Prado but they are also much more expensive.

A

Alexander the Great

Not a huge difference. On the beach a Diesel is technically better as it has more torque at low range but the difference isn't huge.

The thing to keep in mind with offroading is that there's different types of 4WD. As Wahesh mentioned, it's best if you can get one that switches between 4WD and 2WD. This saves petrol and tires. Always avoid AWD. 4WD and AWD are not the same thing. AWD runs all 4 wheels with the same speed and is generally like a 2WD car but all 4 wheels are spinning at the same time. 4WD operates wheels independently depending on the type of 4WD. It'll either operate each wheel separately or operate the front and rear wheels separately. This means if some of the wheels aren't gripping then the speed of the other wheels will adjust to avoid you turning around in circles or losing grip.

Now here comes the part which is most important to keep in mind. The Nissan X-Trail uses High Range 4WD. High Range is used to give more grip at high speeds. While it will work on the beach or in mud, it won't be ideal. You have a higher chance of digging yourself into the sand or the mud. This can be countered by lowering your tire pressure and controlling your speed but it's not ideal. If you can find an X-Trail with low range 4WD then this would be much better but I don't believe they've ever had low range.

If you're not 100% set on an Xtrail then you would be better off with a newer model Prado but they are also much more expensive.
Hey lucky the one im looking at you can change the settings from 2wd to 4wd... Ive read alot online reagrding the psi Being below 20 which should help.
Ill be doing the beach trips with other mates who have proper 4X4 so if i do get stuck i should be ok to get out...

AWD Sounds like a cheap way to seel the car off as a 4wd When it really isnt.. thanks for the heads up.

A

Alexander the Great

Diesel is fine as an everyday car as long as you can do a long drive every few days.
Shit that might be a issue..whats the go beind driving it for a long drive every few days? also how long is long (thats what she said..) ?

A

Alexander the Great

Im really only going to Hit Stockton and a few other well driven beaches.. i wont be doing Actual 4x4 trips.
My plan is to drive on tracks that have already been cut into the sand decreasing the chances of bogging the prick.

A

Alexander the Great

mate i have a 2010 subaru outback diesel. Used for exactly what you are saying. bought for $15000 will go anywhere the x trail will go, sticks to the tar like shit to the sheets and easily gets over 1000kms to the tank. 40k would buy you an awesome outback. I would personally choose a diesel over an unleaded. Like the person above said the diesels need a good ran every now and than to stop the manifold from 'sooting up'. Needs to get hot and burn the gases away. drive it like you stole it and she'll be sweet.
drive it like you stole it
a Leb in Bexley driving a suv like that and ill get shot!!!

Yeah the outback looks gun..wasnt sure about the clearance on them though but they obviously do the job.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Shit that might be a issue..whats the go beind driving it for a long drive every few days? also how long is long (thats what she said..) ?
A good 20-30 min highway drive will do the trick. The aim is to get it hot. Diesels love to work. They have a DPF filter which clogs up in stop start driving.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Im really only going to Hit Stockton and a few other well driven beaches.. i wont be doing Actual 4x4 trips.
My plan is to drive on tracks that have already been cut into the sand decreasing the chances of bogging the prick.
You won't really find that. At beaches like Stockton and Blacksmiths the sand constantly shifts so there's no real tracks, and if there is tracks then you don't want to drive in them or you may bottom out.

It's generally pretty straight forward. You just lower the tire pressure, keep momentum going, if you feel like you're sinking then shift the wheels left and right to get a little more traction. If you're approaching a lip or small hill then speed up before you get to it. Never put your foot flat out or you'll dig yourself in. Don't drive at night unless you want to run over campers.

Make sure you or someone else has snatch straps, recovery tracks and a shovel. If someone has a winch then you'll be sweet. If not then there's usually someone driving around who will stop and help you out, but if worse comes to worse there's beach tow truck places around the major 4WD beaches.

If you're struggling to get up a hill, don't keep pushing it. You want to do a hill in one go. If it feels like you're slowing right down and sinking a bit then put it in reverse, roll back down the hill, then start again. And most importantly, never try to drive sideways along a hill. Unless you really want to roll your 4WD.

A

Alexander the Great

A good 20-30 min highway drive will do the trick. The aim is to get it hot. Diesels love to work. They have a DPF filter which clogs up in stop start driving.
Yeah thats gonna be a issue.. i hardly drive in the week

A

Alexander the Great

You won't really find that. At beaches like Stockton and Blacksmiths the sand constantly shifts so there's no real tracks, and if there is tracks then you don't want to drive in them or you may bottom out.

It's generally pretty straight forward. You just lower the tire pressure, keep momentum going, if you feel like you're sinking then shift the wheels left and right to get a little more traction. If you're approaching a lip or small hill then speed up before you get to it. Never put your foot flat out or you'll dig yourself in. Don't drive at night unless you want to run over campers.

Make sure you or someone else has snatch straps, recovery tracks and a shovel. If someone has a winch then you'll be sweet. If not then there's usually someone driving around who will stop and help you out, but if worse comes to worse there's beach tow truck places around the major 4WD beaches.

If you're struggling to get up a hill, don't keep pushing it. You want to do a hill in one go. If it feels like you're slowing right down and sinking a bit then put it in reverse, roll back down the hill, then start again. And most importantly, never try to drive sideways along a hill. Unless you really want to roll your 4WD.

Ok i good to have that up my sleeve.. i was under the impression that if you can find a set of fresh tracks try drive on the same path as it has already been compresed making the sand hard?

Make sure you or someone else has snatch straps, recovery tracks and a shovel. Hoping to pick these up also along with a decent Air comprassor gott getting ait back into the tyres once im done on the beach. I Havve seen the porable ones that hook up to the battery and look like they do the job.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok i good to have that up my sleeve.. i was under the impression that if you can find a set of fresh tracks try drive on the same path as it has already been compresed making the sand hard?
Generally compacted sand is easier to drive on but the problem you get is that the sand has been compacted by 4WDs with good clearance. If you go in with an X-Trail that has much less clearance then there's a chance that you'll bottom out. The other issue you get is that the deeper the ditches are, the harder it is to get out if something goes wrong.

Make sure you or someone else has snatch straps, recovery tracks and a shovel.
Hoping to pick these up also along with a decent Air comprassor gott getting ait back into the tyres once im done on the beach. I Havve seen the porable ones that hook up to the battery and look like they do the job.
They're the best ones. Don't trust the battery operated ones as they never provide enough pressure and will usually die right when you need them. Alternatively you can just go to a petrol station. There's always one nearby and it won't damage your rims driving for a few KMs on low tire pressure as long as you're not going over 80.

A

Alexander the Great

Generally compacted sand is easier to drive on but the problem you get is that the sand has been compacted by 4WDs with good clearance. If you go in with an X-Trail that has much less clearance then there's a chance that you'll bottom out. The other issue you get is that the deeper the ditches are, the harder it is to get out if something goes wrong.

They're the best ones. Don't trust the battery operated ones as they never provide enough pressure and will usually die right when you need them. Alternatively you can just go to a petrol station. There's always one nearby and it won't damage your rims driving for a few KMs on low tire pressure as long as you're not going over 80.

Ok makes sense.. thanks!

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If your keen on a Nissan, I would upgrade to a Navara. Suitable for beach and road.

Status
Not open for further replies.