8 wins from 30 games since pay

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s not entirely Pay fault

But he picks Lichaa

We are no chance back end of game chasing points with him down the stretch

If you can’t see that then congratulations you are in the 2% of this world lol
I’m not sticking up for Lichaa either. He’s terrible.
My point is that I highly doubt if you put anyone in our squad at dummy half when we’re chasing points these results would have changed. Please don’t say Nu Brown either, just watch reserve grade.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just my opinion I just don't think Pay is the right coach.

The squad isn't the issue, I don't think many would do much with this squad. The issue is I don't see anything lol, no plan, poor bench rotations, mind boggling positional switching, selections....

I think we've seen all we need to see with Pay as coach.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Might be the only thing we agree on. Should be working with us.
He shouldve been the coach, he was already a hugely successful pack leader . He was terminated by hasler for trying out new strategies in training . He has the best work ethic I have ever seen, given the flick by that prick hasler but still committing 110% to the team . That's the attitude of a leader..

Has great vision, can see angles and can see faults.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just my opinion I just don't think Pay is the right coach.

The squad isn't the issue, I don't think many would do much with this squad. The issue is I don't see anything lol, no plan, poor bench rotations, mind boggling positional switching, selections....

I think we've seen all we need to see with Pay as coach.
Probably a nice man but he has no leadership quality

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He shouldve been the coach, he was already a hugely successful pack leader . He was terminated by hasler for trying out new strategies in training . He has the best work ethic I have ever seen, given the flick by that prick hasler but still committing 110% to the team . That's the attitude of a leader..

Has great vision, can see angles and can see faults.
You love a grandiose statement, don’t you?

How in the world would you know what his work ethic is like and who are you comparing it to?

I loved Ennis when he was with us, he isn’t anymore, let it be.

Just like the “what if’s” everyone plays with Thurston.

A decision was made, I think most would agree the wrong one, but it is what it is....

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You love a grandiose statement, don’t you?

How in the world would you know what his work ethic is like and who are you comparing it to?

I loved Ennis when he was with us, he isn’t anymore, let it be.

Just like the “what if’s” everyone plays with Thurston.

A decision was made, I think most would agree the wrong one, but it is what it is....
OK sorry just stating my observation which I feel is relevant because we're all looking for answers here on TK.. We have a great team , loved watching the last 3 games we definitely had the opposition rattled but we were missing the edge ..

what stands out is lack of leadership. It's frustrating because we're all looking at things in a technical way when IMO it really is all about work ethics.
Ennis wasn't the best hooker, or the most skilled player but he had a quality that could compensate. It's called commitment or work ethic. Own your job .

Lachlan Lewis showed us his commitment to shutting down Sam Burgess and even though we didn't win we had a fighting chance.. More of this and we're on the right track

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fact dean keeps picking lichha makes me realise he’s clueless

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably a nice man but he has no leadership quality
Maybe he does and he just hasn't had a long enough time as a coach. Maybe he needed a stint in England or more time as.an assistant. He just isn't the guy for this gig, imo.

I hope he proves me wrong.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And now Canberra are currently the best defensive team in the comp with essentially the same team.
This is swept under the carpet a lot, Haslrr has great defensive structures and Pay has dismantled them instantly

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these excuses for pay, lets wait till decent players come yez say. Name me one big signing and not napa or chn cause they come here for up grades, that pay has attracted or even looks like getting any time soon that is gonna help us at all. Why would any big name player come here after the way we shafted the last 10 to 20 high profile players we already had at the club ?
The roosters shaft all their stars as they start to decline (with the exception minichello and fittler) and continue to attract superstar after superstar...

Seems like the only option we have to be able to compete is to cheat the cap like the roosters

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
All these excuses for pay, lets wait till decent players come yez say. Name me one big signing and not napa or chn cause they come here for up grades, that pay has attracted or even looks like getting any time soon that is gonna help us at all. Why would any big name player come here after the way we shafted the last 10 to 20 high profile players we already had at the club ?
Agree.
Right now no-one could see the club getting anywhere near the top 8.
I agree the club is going to do it very tough attract any big name players.
Therefore I guess we have to hope the young guys become good players over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
OK sorry just stating my observation which I feel is relevant because we're all looking for answers here on TK.. We have a great team , loved watching the last 3 games we definitely had the opposition rattled but we were missing the edge ..

what stands out is lack of leadership. It's frustrating because we're all looking at things in a technical way when IMO it really is all about work ethics.
Ennis wasn't the best hooker, or the most skilled player but he had a quality that could compensate. It's called commitment or work ethic. Own your job .

Lachlan Lewis showed us his commitment to shutting down Sam Burgess and even though we didn't win we had a fighting chance.. More of this and we're on the right track
Fair post Wolfie and I agree, I think a lot of people underestimate the games we won because of Graham, Reynolds and Ennis’s competitiveness alone, there was a lack of skill there at times compared to others in their positions but in terms of will-to-win and heart, these guys won us a bunch of games on that alone.

And yeah, Lewis fits exactly what I said above to a tee, not the most skilled operator but a tonne of heart and Gus’s favourite word...courage.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They're soaring this year I wonder what's happened there
Mick Ennis has taken up an assistant coaching type role with the Raiders in 2019 .. not saying he is the reason but he obviously has a role to play.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay doesn’t have to choose lichaa every week, also pay didn’t have to switch Holland and smith combo, these are just a few examples of pay being clueless, he can’t coach
The Holland-Smith partnership happened because Hoppa was moved to fullback. With Meaney showing promise, it would be a mistake to drop him for Hoppa.

I don't think we have the luxury to drop or play Hoppa out of position. Unfortunately our backup three quarters Olive, Montoya, Crichton, Harper and Anderson are playing well below first grade standard.

We do not have much depth and are struggling to field a team that meets the NRL standard. I think that unless we experiment with a mobile 2nd rower like CHN at center and move Holland to the wing, we are stuck with the same three quarters that Pay is selecting.

So let's wear blinkers and instead of saying "we have a shit team", let's soften the blow and say that "we are going through a rebuilding phase."
We'll even include this message in our theme song.
"We hope to recruit a mighty pack of forwards
and a line of leading backs"

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
our only plan for hooker was hope that lichaa comes good, I don't know why they don't blood someone young. This season isn't going anywhere so why stick with shit that aren't going to be here after this year, leave lichaa in reserves
We can only blood players from our 30 man squad, unless you can obtain special playing dispensation for any development players. We have 2 hookers in our squad, JMK, which we transformed into a hooker late last year and pinup boy Lichaa. Our depth is very poor so you cannot blood players that do not exist. Bro best is to grind your teeth, guzzle some scotch to dull the tooth ache and hope we win enough games to escape our 6th spoon.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see a far better future under Pay than most. He is bring kids through and while some might not be ready at least he is providing them with an opportunity.

While winning is always the preferred outcome, I am exceptionally pleased with our competitiveness against the Storm and Souths. We just need to continue to be competitive and the back to back wins will come.
That's fine if the club's future ambition is to just be a mid-table team and a feeder club. To be competitive in the NRL you need big game players to guide those kids or you will lose them. Unless Pay overachieves, in the end it will come to this, is Pay capable in attracting big names without destroying the salary cap ? The answer will determine his fate.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact dean keeps picking lichha makes me realise he’s clueless
If he picks Lichaa again, someone at the club will need to ask questions, because 99.9% on the Kennel can see his performance last game was disgraceful!

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Are we yet not out of contention when we are all ready 1 win from 5

1 win from 6 rounds to.start the year..
Barely anyone has made the 8 from this position so why not start now. Nothing much to lose when we are dead last..
A massive for and against.. against us...
And an almost impossible mountain to climb just to make the 8 let alone be competitive in the finals
Have a good look at our squad bro.

Our backup three quarters, Olive, Montoya, Crichton, Harper and Anderson are not 1st grade standard. So trying different combinations is futile.
Our pack, whilst improving defensively, hasn't got the grunt or presence to intimidate and establish dominance. Pay has selected every forward in the squad except for the injured To'omaga and sub standard Tualau, who's contract expires end 2019. Pay might be able to tinker with positional changes for the forwards, but he's out of cattle and promising new blood.

It's very hard to play adventurous football with slow ball movement, an erratic kicking game, with no direction and forward drive.