Talkin Sport 3 Clubs being investigated for large salary cap Breaches

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I read an article and Glenn Lazarus had a good idea, the players aren't contracted to the club, rather they sign a contract with the NRL.
The club then pays the NRL for that players contract out of the annual grant to clubs and players then become employed by the NRL, but contracted out to clubs.
While clubs could still find a way to circumvent the cap it may help reduce cap rorting, players breaking contracts and clubs imposing favourable punishments for misbehaving players.
Idea was floated a while back and knocked back by the RLPA as a restriction of trade, as it stopped players being able to get TPAs.

Easiest way to solve it would be a draft where surplus players could be subcontracted to other teams; OR; Every player is worth the same amount of money and pay increases based on years with the same club.

E.G Every player is worth $200k, and every year with the club you get $50-100k more.

Is he still banned......again?
@The_Chimpster 2 months this time.... warned too many times in the past and still goes at it.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
how come no one is thinking it could be the mighty Eels!

now that would be the best joke ever if Eels are found cheating the cap again and getting the spoon in the process....... AGAIN

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idea was floated a while back and knocked back by the RLPA as a restriction of trade, as it stopped players being able to get TPAs.

Easiest way to solve it would be a draft where surplus players could be subcontracted to other teams; OR; Every player is worth the same amount of money and pay increases based on years with the same club.

E.G Every player is worth $200k, and every year with the club you get $50-100k more.

@The_Chimpster 2 months this time.... warned too many times in the past and still goes at it.
Or for every year with a club your salary is exempt from the cap in yearly 10% increments
Supports loyalty.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's be honest... Every team cheats the cap. Some do it more than others. Some do it better than others. And some don't ever get scrutinised or have their books looked at because they're protected species..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Talk today on tripleM that sharks if forced to let someone go it won't be Johnson. MG stated he thinks Dugan and Townsend should be wary.
For me (wishing we didn't have Foran) I would take Townsend in a heartbeat, good goalkicker matured a lot since winning the GF and his general kicking game is very underrated, would be a great halves partner for Lewis

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Talk today on tripleM that sharks if forced to let someone go it won't be Johnson. MG stated he thinks Dugan and Townsend should be wary.
For me (wishing we didn't have Foran) I would take Townsend in a heartbeat, good goalkicker matured a lot since winning the GF and his general kicking game is very underrated, would be a great halves partner for Lewis
Spoonman84 I think mentioned that the latest signed player is the one that has to go, hence the reports of Johnson.

If anything and they could release any player, if the Sharks were smart they'd release Gallen. Now I know Sharks fans would burn Shark Park to the ground if that happened, BUT it would make sense.
a) He's on big money.
b) He's retiring next year anyway and off contract the end of this season.
c) He's at the end of his career at 37/38 so unlikely to impact future progress moving forwards.

That or Woods for laughs.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Spoonman84 I think mentioned that the latest signed player is the one that has to go, hence the reports of Johnson.

If anything and they could release any player, if the Sharks were smart they'd release Gallen. Now I know Sharks fans would burn Shark Park to the ground if that happened, BUT it would make sense.
a) He's on big money.
b) He's retiring next year anyway and off contract the end of this season.
c) He's at the end of his career at 37/38 so unlikely to impact future progress moving forwards.

That or Woods for laughs.
Yeah I 100% agree that the last signed should be the first to go. NRL fucked up, not fair on the raiders as they openly stated they wanted Johnson. I do find a lot of satisfaction that Woods hasn't got a stable club yet haha, perhaps he may want to move again the dud

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

now that would be the best joke ever if Eels are found cheating the cap again and getting the spoon in the process....... AGAIN
How do we know its not us?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How do we know its not us?

cos we are not as dumb as parra.

If we were cheating the cap we would either be winning a premiership or be in top 4 not losing key players left right and centre.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read an article and Glenn Lazarus had a good idea, the players aren't contracted to the club, rather they sign a contract with the NRL.
The club then pays the NRL for that players contract out of the annual grant to clubs and players then become employed by the NRL, but contracted out to clubs.
While clubs could still find a way to circumvent the cap it may help reduce cap rorting, players breaking contracts and clubs imposing favourable punishments for misbehaving players.
Only problem with this is instead of allowing cap rorting by it's favourite teams, the NRL simply controls the flow of the best talent to it's favoured clubs.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Only problem with this is instead of allowing cap rorting by it's favourite teams, the NRL simply controls the flow of the best talent to it's favoured clubs.
I don't under these systems, the league controls where they go as such, they simply act as employer for the purposes of contracts.

I think Major League Soccer in the US does it? But I also think their league technically also "owns" the teams, with team owners having shareholdings in the MLS and then having the rights to run a club in return (appears to be a bit unnecessarily complicated).

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
There is not use in having a salary cap than have TPA. You have a limit to spend than have additions to go over the limits. Tpa is crap, Brisbane Melbourne have a huge advantage being 1 city team.. Than you have channel 9 putting their favorite on free to air and again Brisbane have that every week in Bris. Uncle nick with his connections use it buy players and rusty with his reach as well. We need a draft . We need a school boy comp. We need a under 20s comp and a strong reserve grade comp. Fuck the nrl is the worst run professional sport. A reactive administration and no forward thinking.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't under these systems, the league controls where they go as such, they simply act as employer for the purposes of contracts.

I think Major League Soccer in the US does it? But I also think their league technically also "owns" the teams, with team owners having shareholdings in the MLS and then having the rights to run a club in return (appears to be a bit unnecessarily complicated).
Understand but in such a case the NRL could still for eg, question the value of the contracts, slow down the approval process during the crucial negotiation stages and leak information for its out of favour clubs, while doing the opposite for its favourites like Souths, Easts, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Btw anybody seen anything in the Sunday papers about this?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Haha
Only the Eels are capable of achieving such a milestone

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Btw anybody seen anything in the Sunday papers about this?
It said the sharks are preparing for a $800-$1 mill fine
Id love the knights to get done after them trying to buy a premiership

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hughes also said that the Sharks will get a huge a fine and the 2016 premiership taken off them.........Hughes is a bit hit and miss with his info so I'd take it with a grain of salt.
Well if that’s the case they need to turn the porch lights back on

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That the only way they will fix it if they are caught and proven start the offenders on a minus point for the season. Issuing a 1 million dollar fine then they appeal it and the suspend 750 of it is a joke if they can tort the cap by millions they need to fine they and dick points of them fucking simple