2021 off contract list

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Left field but could Thompson potentially play on an edge?
I think he might have to play on the edge in the Nrl.
I see Thompson as a David Fafita type player quick on his feet for his size.
He's not a bash and barge type player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think he might have to play on the edge in the Nrl.
I see Thompson as a David Fafita type player quick on his feet for his size.
He's not a bash and barge type player.
I reckon he could and would do it very well. But I think one of his biggest assets is his support play, so personally I dunno if I'd want to slot him on an edge. Hed be a more athletic Frizzell if he were to go there
He has been smashed in the middle against NRL quality opposition, especially against the Roosters without Walmsley. He isn't the type of prop forward we really needed imo and I feel he will get slapped over here if the club plays him in that role

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He has been smashed in the middle against NRL quality opposition, especially against the Roosters without Walmsley. He isn't the type of prop forward we really needed imo and I feel he will get slapped over here if the club plays him in that role
I reckon he will handle himself pretty well as he's very fit. I just don't think the tries will be on offer like they usually are for him over in the SL. He usually takes his hit ups later in the count too, so that will naturally be better than Tolman taking them lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think we have to give Thompson the benefit of a full preseason training with and against NRL players before we come to any definitive conclusions. His footwork stands out to me and will translate immediately and that will help him adapt to the NRL better than some plodder prop.

What he may lack in size or strength right now, he makes up for with agility and footwork and he can always add size in the coming years.

I'd rather have a forward like him with upside than a one dimensional forward who doesn't have his athleticism. He seems like a Jai Arrow type who can play lock or be a mobile prop.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we have to give Thompson the benefit of a full preseason training with and against NRL players before we come to any definitive conclusions. His footwork stands out to me and will translate immediately and that will help him adapt to the NRL better than some plodder prop.

What he may lack in size or strength right now, he makes up for with agility and footwork and he can always add size in the coming years.

I'd rather have a forward like him with upside than a one dimensional forward who doesn't have his athleticism. He seems like a Jai Arrow type who can play lock or be a mobile prop.
I tend to agree with your comments
The guy has a really high work rate and there’s no half hearted hit ups which I admire about him
He quite regularly had 2 very effective runs in a set
Also getting the team out of the danger zone is going to be a big plus
It’s going give us some forward momentum then hopefully our backs will see early ball for a change
Looking forward to watching Thompson in blue & white

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in recent years that our general go forward and play the ball has been way too slow
Thompson looks to be playing the game a fraction quicker than our current crop,this should get the rest also moving along
We need to get the other teams back peddling for once
The high tempo will then hopefully create gaps in their line and leading to more points being scored
Just need to recruit a few others with the same qualities
No more plodding along in second gear

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I'm more than happy to have him, but from what I've seen and what the stats suggest I just don't think he's capable of being that dominant prop that will generate the momentum we really need through the middle. His metres per carry, PC metres and play the ball are barely better and in so cases much worse off than Tolman....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I reckon he will handle himself pretty well as he's very fit. I just don't think the tries will be on offer like they usually are for him over in the SL. He usually takes his hit ups later in the count too, so that will naturally be better than Tolman taking them lol
True, but again that doesn't really solve all that many issue for us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm more than happy to have him, but from what I've seen and what the stats suggest I just don't think he's capable of being that dominant prop that will generate the momentum we really need through the middle. His metres per carry, PC metres and play the ball are barely better and in so cases much worse off than Tolman....
That's being a bit drastic. Thankfully he's a completely different player to Tolman. The way Thompson moves laterally plus the acceleration and footwork he has for a middle forward are first class and once he adjusts to the pace of the NRL, he'll hopefully prove that he's worth the hype.

He's better suited to the speed of the NRL than the ESL and most English players who have performed well here went to another level and became infinitely better once they were surrounded by better talent in the NRL.

He's made the English team, won awards in the UK and was chased by many NRL clubs for a reason. Let's at least wait til he arrives in the country first before we write him off. He's signed anyway so it's not like we can do anything about it. He offers far more and will be better than Napa who probably cost not much less.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's being a bit drastic. Thankfully he's a completely different player to Tolman. The way Thompson moves laterally plus the acceleration and footwork he has for a middle forward are first class and once he adjusts to the pace of the NRL, he'll hopefully prove that he's worth the hype.

He's better suited to the speed of the NRL than the ESL and most English players who have performed well here went to another level and became infinitely better once they were surrounded by better talent in the NRL.

He's made the English team, won awards in the UK and was chased by many NRL clubs for a reason. Let's at least wait til he arrives in the country first before we write him off. He's signed anyway so it's not like we can do anything about it. He offers far more and will be better than Napa who probably cost not much less.
I'm not writing him off, I'm just concerned that he's not capable of doing what the club has brought him here to do. We have multiple forwards that can play off momentum yet very few that can actually generate it and unfortunately Thompson looks to be another.

At his best I think he's a lock in the NRL playing a more complimentary type role behind some more dominant props where he can use a lot of the skills you mentioned to the greatest effect... unfortunately for us I don't think that's going to happen.

I'd personally be buying another prop for next season and at the very least look to be starting To'omaga/RFM and getting more minutes into them so we have some stronger ball runners in the side to ease the pressure and allow Thompson to do a bit more of what he's good at.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm actually OK with our prop rotation for 2021, Thompson, Napa, To'Omaga, Tolman and Ogden (if he can get his training and attitude in line). Between them they have good mixture of skills, especially with Thompson added, he brings variety that we have previously been short of.

There are other areas where we are far more lacking.

Go Dogs
I don't think Tolman will be at the club next year. But other than that we have a good rotation. I reckon we need to buy a halve, a centre and an impact player for the bench though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not writing him off, I'm just concerned that he's not capable of doing what the club has brought him here to do. We have multiple forwards that can play off momentum yet very few that can actually generate it and unfortunately Thompson looks to be another.

At his best I think he's a lock in the NRL playing a more complimentary type role behind some more dominant props where he can use a lot of the skills you mentioned to the greatest effect... unfortunately for us I don't think that's going to happen.

I'd personally be buying another prop for next season and at the very least look to be starting To'omaga/RFM and getting more minutes into them so we have some stronger ball runners in the side to ease the pressure and allow Thompson to do a bit more of what he's good at.
Yeah I agree he looks most suited to lock but if he bulks up a bit, his footwork would wreak havoc on opposing props. I think he'll be a gamebreaker as he's shown he makes line breaks and scores tries and has good speed.

I think if Renouf reaches his potential that he could definitely be a long term starter. I wouldn't re-sign Napa after next season. So if they did pursue another prop, someone like Flegler would be ideal.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not writing him off, I'm just concerned that he's not capable of doing what the club has brought him here to do.
How do you know "what the club has bought him here to do"? It's entirely likely that they want a running, side stepping, fast, elusive prop to compliment Napa, who's the exact opposite and To'omaga who is a combination of them with an offload. If Ogden shapes up then it's a pretty good prop rotation with a broad spread of skills. Add in Jackson, Britt, RFM and Elliot and it's a pretty damn good forward pack. With my only real forwards concern being hooker, if JMK doesn't lift a few levels then that's where I would be concentrating my recruiting efforts.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you know "what the club has bought him here to do"? It's entirely likely that they want a running, side stepping, fast, elusive prop to compliment Napa, who's the exact opposite and To'omaga who is a combination of them with an offload. If Ogden shapes up then it's a pretty good prop rotation with a broad spread of skills. Add in Jackson, Britt, RFM and Elliot and it's a pretty damn good forward pack. With my only real forwards concern being hooker, if JMK doesn't lift a few levels then that's where I would be concentrating my recruiting efforts.

Go Dogs
Not being a cheeky prick or supporting Sancho 2020 (well not too cheeky..) How do you know what he is wanted for? To compliment Napa? That big Ginge should be an enforcer but instead he is an occasional angry redhead.. I think to get the best of Napa and the likes of To'omaga and Ogden we should be buying a dominate alpha forward like a Willie Mason/ or a Jared Hawoo fuckit type, to lead them around and scare the opposition..

I am glad we have Thompson coming but he is an edge or lock and not an enforcer or front rower.

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Thompson will go good over here,Especially with the NRL always looking to reduce the interchange.The Kasiano style prop is a thing of the past.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not being a cheeky prick or supporting Sancho 2020 (well not too cheeky..) How do you know what he is wanted for? To compliment Napa? That big Ginge should be an enforcer but instead he is an occasional angry redhead.. I think to get the best of Napa and the likes of To'omaga and Ogden we should be buying a dominate alpha forward like a Willie Mason/ or a Jared Hawoo fuckit type, to lead them around and scare the opposition..

I am glad we have Thompson coming but he is an edge or lock and not an enforcer or front rower
Try this, it’s not that hard to recognise Thompson’s skill sets, what he contributes to the StHelens’ and England teams as a prop. Obviously, noting those skill sets, he has been identified by more than one NRL club as a high quality recruit. So it’s pretty stupid to endlessly complain about what he doesn’t bring when it’s farkin obvious that that’s not what he was recruited for. Forwards, the whole 9 of them in the rotation, have to compliment and supplement each other. With Thompson added I believe that we have a pretty decent 80 minute rotation, with a good mix of skills (with the possible exception of hooker, yet to be determined). Keeping it simple, is swapping Thompson’s minutes for Toleman an upgrade, FARK YES.

Go Dogs

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Try this, it’s not that hard to recognise Thompson’s skill sets, what he contributes to the StHelens’ and England teams as a prop. Obviously, noting those skill sets, he has been identified by more than one NRL club as a high quality recruit. So it’s pretty stupid to endlessly complain about what he doesn’t bring when it’s farkin obvious that that’s not what he was recruited for. Forwards, the whole 9 of them in the rotation, have to compliment and supplement each other. With Thompson added I believe that we have a pretty decent 80 minute rotation, with a good mix of skills (with the possible exception of hooker, yet to be determined). Keeping it simple, is swapping Thompson’s minutes for Toleman an upgrade, FARK YES.

Go Dogs
I do agree with you that on paper he seems like a good pick up. No one can argue that he doesn't have the skill set and mentality to become a big player for us, and I'm really excited about seeing him in blu & white.

It's open to debate if he's what we need, which I guess both Sancho & Bazil are referring to, but only time will tell. Obviously as fans we're going to look at stats, and watch games to get our own opinions on things. And taking into account that the club really hasn't been the best in the recruitment departments you can hardly blame the boys for questioning that he's the right fit for us.

But ... no one really knows what the vision of the club is for him and we should all really just be happy that we've picked up a top quality player. Beggers can't be choosers ...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thompson is regarded as the best prop in the UK. The other poms who came here have been excellent
and theres no reason he cant excel as well.