1st Round Team

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The problem was no halfback stood out in both trials, maybe we should pick a real half and stick by him and hope for the best !
Averilo did nothing wrong, trained there all summer, 1 game with burton why the change

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like a lot of your commentary Steve, ( not a big fan of the constant niff nuff line) but you are wrong about the trial shit when it comes to us. We should have delivered much more than we did, and I am sure that has been passed down the line..
Fair call bazil, but in all fairness there alot of nuffys on here. Trials are trials and they are used for certain purposes
Gus isn’t worried and neither am i

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pretty sure the round 1 team will be pretty much the same team as per the Sharks trial

It's quite obvious that the wing spot will be chopped and changed this year between Okonbur, Allan and possibly Burns, even though he is a centre

Personally, my opinion is that Averillo is a shocking HB, and will never be a HB - He is the white Moses Mbye.....

Anyways, if Averillo starts as HB in Round 1, Barrett better persist with him for the entire season...If he gives Averillo the flick after round 4 and plays the merry-go-round between Averillo, Wakeham and Flanagan, it's bye bye Barrett at the end of the season...

We do have Burton at 6 and Mahoney coming in at 9 next year, which is 2 players which should be kept at our club for a long time, though we still need a permanent 1 & 7 which is a worry....Not sold on Dufty, but hopefully he blossoms through the year...

That Credence kid looked good in the trial, even though it was only a trial.....

There are no class HB's out there other than Cleary, DCE and Hughes(to an extent).....They should be working on Wakeham as he is a natural 7 where Averillo is not....I liked young Flanagan, but his confidence is shot....Young Kyle needs to get away for a couple of years and piss off to the Super League and come back to the NRL once he has matured aka Jackson Hastings

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pretty sure the round 1 team will be pretty much the same team as per the Sharks trial

It's quite obvious that the wing spot will be chopped and changed this year between Okonbur, Allan and possibly Burns, even though he is a centre

Personally, my opinion is that Averillo is a shocking HB, and will never be a HB - He is the white Moses Mbye.....

Anyways, if Averillo starts as HB in Round 1, Barrett better persist with him for the entire season...If he gives Averillo the flick after round 4 and plays the merry-go-round between Averillo, Wakeham and Flanagan, it's bye bye Barrett at the end of the season...

We do have Burton at 6 and Mahoney coming in at 9 next year, which is 2 players which should be kept at our club for a long time, though we still need a permanent 1 & 7 which is a worry....Not sold on Dufty, but hopefully he blossoms through the year...

That Credence kid looked good in the trial, even though it was only a trial.....

There are no class HB's out there other than Cleary, DCE and Hughes(to an extent).....They should be working on Wakeham as he is a natural 7 where Averillo is not....I liked young Flanagan, but his confidence is shot....Young Kyle needs to get away for a couple of years and piss off to the Super League and come back to the NRL once he has matured aka Jackson Hastings
Exactly Wakeham much more natural half.
Flanagan confidence is way down

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
All I care about is Okunbur not being on one wing at this point... I'll reserve judgement on the rest after r2

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trials are trials and they are used for certain purposes
Gus isn’t worried and neither am i
Someone must have been worried, otherwise our Chairman wouldn’t have bothered with the statement he made.

Gus might not have said anything but I am sure the quickeze are getting a flogging.

Let’s hope your boy Barrett has it all covered and the last year or so has been a smokescreen for the masterpiece he is about to unleash on us all..

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can just see the year panning out with the wing and HB position chopped and changed......

We need stability at #7, especially if we want young Burton to continue his development along a bright path....
Our halfback doesn’t even need to do a lot or be really creative, just distribute the ball, take the line on, and kick well - short and long kicking game

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Someone must have been worried, otherwise our Chairman wouldn’t have bothered with the statement he made.

Gus might not have said anything but I am sure the quickeze are getting a flogging.

Let’s hope your boy Barrett has it all covered and the last year or so has been a smokescreen for the masterpiece he is about to unleash on us all..
He was only repying to the uneducated like the kennel and Facebook

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was only repying to the uneducated like the kennel and Facebook
Yeah, I don’t buy that at all mate. When the same Kennel and Facebook punters were screaming blue murder a year ago there was no leaking of Gould’s signing or the player signings, they just happened.

Why now suddenly come out swinging and asking punters to have faith…?

There is concern, plenty of it…

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Naden to the wing is one of the most obvious selection calls I have seen in years.
People aren't talking about how bad he was defensively against Cronulla. He can't defend in the centres and will get targeted. As a winger he's fine defensively and is great at kick returns and dummy half runs.

We've been calling Naden on the wing since we've signed him but Baz would rather play Okunbur there and expose Naden in the centres where he's not as comfortable. His best form for Penrith was as a winger.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burns or Allan for Okunbor - should improve the defence.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averilo did nothing wrong, trained there all summer, 1 game with burton why the change
I keep hearing he trained there all summer. They might be only trials but he looks clueless out there. What has he been doing all summer?

He had the majority of the season last year playing in the halves and showed nothing to suggest he is a half.

With a full off-season and a season in the halves other than wearing number 7 his game doesn’t remotely resemble that of a half.

BBO is a natural half that would be a better option if we are going to develop as we go. We don’t have two or three years to try and make a half out of Averillo.

It’s not Aveillo’s fault. The recruitment department with all the cash we had failed badly. The spine is the most critical areas that needed upgrades. They seemed to think Burton was going to save the world himself.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep hearing he trained there all summer. They might be only trials but he looks clueless out there. What has he been doing all summer?

He had the majority of the season last year playing in the halves and showed nothing to suggest he is a half.

With a full off-season and a season in the halves other than wearing number 7 his game doesn’t remotely resemble that of a half.

BBO is a natural half that would be a better option if we are going to develop as we go. We don’t have two or three years to try and make a half out of Averillo.

It’s not Aveillo’s fault. The recruitment department with all the cash we had failed badly. The spine is the most critical areas that needed upgrades. They seemed to think Burton was going to save the world himself.
Well said...Averillo is not a half back...give BBO a chance and stick with him...ffs Wakeham is better than Averillo...the dogs have to have to sort out their longterm half back because if they dont it eilk be see u later Burton who will head off to greener pastures

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Okunbor is probably best option for winger , he’s not going to drop him because he had knock ons in the trial, maybe later on if it keeps happening
he has been having those knock ons for 3 years nothing has changed.
I would normally agree if he had a bad trial game you move past it but mr butter fingers just won’t improve.

Last edited:

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You should all watch the last game against tigers when wakeham was playing halfback. Actually the first time we split defenders and scored tries. Just like everyone saying we needed burton this year to help us, wakeham can control the team while burton can run. I’m not saying this is going to make us become a instant hit however a coach cannot tell a player how to play in real time as it’s all about decision making under pressure. Hence why we have looked sht house the last 5 or so years. A half that is similar to Adam Reynolds who could control the game and allow walker to run is what the game has changed to.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said...Averillo is not a half back...give BBO a chance and stick with him...ffs Wakeham is better than Averillo...the dogs have to have to sort out their longterm half back because if they dont it eilk be see u later Burton who will head off to greener pastures
Absolutely correct on Burton.

He is free to sign elsewhere from November this year. All the hype around Burton coming and what he will do in the future with us. He has only signed for two years. If he doesn’t see the correct vision to build success he will be off.