1st Round Team

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can we play the Titans fullback in the womens game. She throws a lethal right to left cut out ball

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm I know I am going against the flow of the majority of us on the Kennel or fans in general, but I think I saw enough that attacking wise we will challenge many teams this year, the few times the spine combined in the second trial it looked potent. The times that Avo floated to the left side of the ruck and went through the hands from DH through Avo to Burton we looked dangerous.

Yeah defense was shot in many different stages, though what I did see was Burton with some very good saves in defense that last year would have just been blown apart. We have the right ingredients and can see some different direction in the halves compared to previous years. But what I also saw was indecision coming out of DH, passing to front rowers on the last, and the player with the best kicking game on the field only had 6 kicks (from 34 sets) while Sharks halves combined had 15, 10 to Trindall. You throw in a DH with some vision and able to read the game and things would have been so different.

Defense can be drilled and those things can turn around pretty quickly, its the DH indecision or bad decisions that will have the biggest impact on our season. Anyone have news on how long Cook will be out? We saw some direction from DH from him when he was on the field in the first trial...I think with him on the field and with Dufty, Avo and Burton... well lets just see....

Other things to consider maybe not too seriously though, Benji Marshal was commentating or talking about the trial games, and someone asked him what kind of things should you look for in the trial as an indicator. He responded its pretty difficult, a lot of coaches aren't going to be willing to show everything they have been working on over the pre-season in the trials, you might see bits and pieces but looking at a trial and knowing how badly or well a team will go this year is almost impossible. The boys have had lots of opposed sessions this pre season, yes I would have thought that getting as much game time for the combinations would be important. But how much does 40 or so minutes do for you? I for one will wait at least until Round 1 before I start judging the boys

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm I know I am going against the flow of the majority of us on the Kennel or fans in general, but I think I saw enough that attacking wise we will challenge many teams this year, the few times the spine combined in the second trial it looked potent. The times that Avo floated to the left side of the ruck and went through the hands from DH through Avo to Burton we looked dangerous.

Yeah defense was shot in many different stages, though what I did see was Burton with some very good saves in defense that last year would have just been blown apart. We have the right ingredients and can see some different direction in the halves compared to previous years. But what I also saw was indecision coming out of DH, passing to front rowers on the last, and the player with the best kicking game on the field only had 6 kicks (from 34 sets) while Sharks halves combined had 15, 10 to Trindall. You throw in a DH with some vision and able to read the game and things would have been so different.

Defense can be drilled and those things can turn around pretty quickly, its the DH indecision or bad decisions that will have the biggest impact on our season. Anyone have news on how long Cook will be out? We saw some direction from DH from him when he was on the field in the first trial...I think with him on the field and with Dufty, Avo and Burton... well lets just see....

Other things to consider maybe not too seriously though, Benji Marshal was commentating or talking about the trial games, and someone asked him what kind of things should you look for in the trial as an indicator. He responded its pretty difficult, a lot of coaches aren't going to be willing to show everything they have been working on over the pre-season in the trials, you might see bits and pieces but looking at a trial and knowing how badly or well a team will go this year is almost impossible. The boys have had lots of opposed sessions this pre season, yes I would have thought that getting as much game time for the combinations would be important. But how much does 40 or so minutes do for you? I for one will wait at least until Round 1 before I start judging the boys
Great read mate. And nice to see some logical thinking in TK.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People aren't talking about how bad he was defensively against Cronulla. He can't defend in the centres and will get targeted. As a winger he's fine defensively and is great at kick returns and dummy half runs.

We've been calling Naden on the wing since we've signed him but Baz would rather play Okunbur there and expose Naden in the centres where he's not as comfortable. His best form for Penrith was as a winger.
I'm with you would rather Burns at centre and Naden on the wing.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm with you would rather Burns at centre and Naden on the wing.
didnt burns miss a one on one tackle in the second half that lead to a try?

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Keen to see the footy start back up, hopefully one from one lads

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dufty
2. Naden
3. Schoupp
4. Burns
5. Foxx
6. Burton
7. Avo
8. Vaughn
9. JMK
10. TPJ
11. Hethro
12. Jacko (trust me I know lol)
13. Thommo

14. BBO
15. King
16. Ava
17. Patolo
I would give Avo till after origin if he doesn’t fire Wakey gets the 7 for the rest of the year.
Your team is close to what I'd like to see, however I'd put Thompson who is a good runner of the ball and on the edge, who knows he might yet prove to be worth the money he is paid, and JJ in the middle, who is now only useful as atackling machine.
Also if Cook can stay injury free and prove himself in CC perhaps he might make the 9 jersey his.
I just can't see the logic of playing Thompson at prop and TPJ on the edge.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus told Bracey the other night we are looking at fielding as many as 8 debutants for round 1.

1. Dufty
2. Addo-Carr
3.Naden
4. Burns
5.Burton
6. Vaughan
7. TPJ
8. Toss up between King and maybe Casey for that wing position.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus told Bracey the other night we are looking at fielding as many as 8 debutants for round 1.

1. Dufty
2. Addo-Carr
3.Naden
4. Burns
5.Burton
6. Vaughan
7. TPJ
Watch out mate people will say why is TPJ at half ? Lol

Casey isn’t in the top 30. So it will be King 100%

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Your team is close to what I'd like to see, however I'd put Thompson who is a good runner of the ball and on the edge, who knows he might yet prove to be worth the money he is paid, and JJ in the middle, who is now only useful as atackling machine.
Also if Cook can stay injury free and prove himself in CC perhaps he might make the 9 jersey his.
I just can't see the logic of playing Thompson at prop and TPJ on the edge.
Yeah I just liked what I saw from Thommo the times he played lock last year. TPJ is a middle idgaf what anyone says lol I have a feeling Gus will let Jacko go after this contract. As for Cook I felt he was solid in the trial he played in. He’d be a pretty handy backup to Mahoney next year.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Dufty
2. Addo-Carr
3.Naden
4. Burns
5.Burton
6. Vaughan
7. TPJ
hopefully he plays those guys but 'as many as' has me worried!