News ‘You’ve been wrong that many times’: Gus’ wild TV clash with reporter over Tino pub claims

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck sake, some of you are just plain miserable Would you rather rayleene ??? Gus is masterful, we should be counting our lucky stars he is here
I like him but you can never trust anything he says. He bluffs everyone that’s why the flogs continue to make up shit about him and the bulldogs cause no one knows exactly what is happening until it happens. Sexton signing is perfect example of that.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s been exposed’: Buzz’s stinging reply to Gus as ‘complete c**p’ claim called out

He’s been exposed’: Buzz’s stinging reply to Gus as ‘complete c**p’ claim called out

Speaking on 100% Footy on Monday night, Gould came out all guns blazing, slamming the report and also delivering a scathing attack on respected journalist Michael Chammas.

But Rothfield has now had his say and explained how the story came about on Fox League’s NRL 360 on Tuesday night.

“It was absolutely no attempt to destabilise Canterbury, Gus is doing a pretty good job of that himself, look at the premiership ladder,” Rothfield said.

“He’s on eight, nine hundred thousand a year. He might tell you they aren’t going backwards but last season they were in 12th, not in 15th.

“I worked on this all weekend… two Sydney clubs told me over the weekend they’d pulled out of the race for Tino because they couldn’t beat Canterbury.

“They were offering a million a year, and an investment opportunity and a money-back guarantee with the Bulldogs.

“I spoke to Tino’s manager, Simon Mammino who confirmed there was interest from the Bulldogs, there was a meeting that was going to take place.

“Next thing I have to confirm the pub side of the story… I also spoke to a couple of other agents to get a better understanding of how the Melbourne Storm investment with Betr works and how this could possibly work.

“My last job on Sunday was to ring Arthur Laundy himself, the boss of Laundy Hotels, a billionaire and major sponsor of the Bulldogs.

“We had a 10-minute conversation, he took me through it blow by blow how he was going to achieve this. How Canterbury were so low down on the ladder that they have got to pay overs to get players.”

Gould made a sweeping declaration he had “never spoken to Tino” and labelled Rothfield’s story “childish”

“He (Laundy) is in there trying to help them, Gus has blown up because his club has been exposed for an obvious attempt to rort the cap,” Rothfield said.

“He’s been exposed, he’s been caught out with it.

“... I thanked him [Laundy] and I said, ‘Mate this is a really good column for Monday’... but 10 minutes later he actually rang me back,” Rothfield revealed.

“He said, ‘Buzz can I actually change one of my quotes, I’m not comfortable saying that’. I then read him back every quote that was to appear in the column. So what Gus said, that this was a private conversation and not designed to go into the newspaper is complete crap.”

NRL360 host Braith Anasta also said: “He (Gould) made out like you tricked Arthur in to the article”.

Rothfield then made the huge claim he would happily sit down with Gould in a courtroom to settle whether or not the story was fabricated.

He also revealed the penalty the Bulldogs could have been facing if the NRL didn’t step in to block the mammoth contract offer.
Michael Chammas - wrong spot wrong time , But he was about to challenge Gus about the deal and Gus wasn't having it.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like him but you can never trust anything he says. He bluffs everyone that’s why the flogs continue to make up shit about him and the bulldogs cause no one knows exactly what is happening until it happens. Sexton signing is perfect example of that.
You just need to read between the lines with Gus. He has the bullldogs best Interests at heart and despises the media. The media buys into his “lies” we shouldn’t , he trolls the fuck out of them and rightly so. He’s ruthless I love the ****.

look how buzz rothfield took it, lmfao the old mummy is talking about court rooms and defamation. Wow

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You just need to read between the lines with Gus. He has the bullldogs best Interests at heart and despises the media. The media buys into his “lies” we shouldn’t , he trolls the fuck out of them and rightly so. He’s ruthless I love the ****.

look how buzz rothfield took it, lmfao the old mummy is talking about court rooms and defamation. Wow
He’d be good at poker

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah thanks Chief.
The word you were looking for is ‘sued’.
And it’s not ‘libel’. Gus neither put anything in writing nor defamed Rothfield. He simply denied the story. Might be best to leave the legal commentary aside :-).
I think lovemachine watches too many movies.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Can’t do that. Part of the condition of the NRL approving the Storm deal with Betr is it can’t be used to lure players to a club. It’s for retention only - hence why Storm used it on the likes of Munster and Grant.
Still wrong though, once in its near impossible to get them out... Can't tell me he's not getting a fortune, who knocks back that Dolphins money.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck buzz is a sore old ****. Hates us , would love love to tell him “hey guess what’s sucessful you old drunk ? 8 premierships “ not 1 … peptide boy

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Of course it is personal with Buzz. Whenever there is anything controversial about Gus coming from Buzz, he
Unloads the same rhetoric " he sack Nathan cleary" , "panthers only became a force after Gus left", "he hired Griffen only to sack him" , "left Penrith in a huff cause they rehired Cleary" , " told Barrett he had the job longterm only the sack few weeks later". Not denying some may be correct, but Buzz gets hyped-up & personal. It's fun to watch

Yes a potential good story fell on his lap. Some parts may not be 100% accurate, but Buzz never let that get In the way of a good story. Plus it had the added bonus of knifing Gus at the same time.

Gus has been around a long time in high profile positions from coach of NSW to CEO roles. It is naive to think that being successful, does not have its elements of being ruthless at times & not always getting it right. This is irrespective whether it is NRL or commercial world of big business. The question of Dogs fans, can Gus effectively improve the Dogs & make club strong for medium/long term future. I believe Yes.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drunk dribblers sources:
- Tino manager,
- couple of other player managers,
- unnamed club heads and
- our major sponsor who provides great support for us but doesn’t mind sprouting stuff to journos

Apart from Arthur, all the others have vested interests in this “story” getting printed.

Arthur has got to learn to be more savvy than to talk shop with the dribbler

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After listening to him tonight on 360 it's clear Buzz has actually got one over Gus here we could be in trouble here and it's obvious we have already done this to get players
We’re not in trouble mate, we’re asking the questions to the NRL auditor, how much more transparent can we get… Storm leveraging player investments into an online Bookmaker owned by the Storm Chairman, Broncos do similar with Real Estate.. our plan is no different. The NRL have said we just can’t guarantee the business if it fails…so don’t guarantee it ffs.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Buzz and Gould are both major dickheads but it's obvious here who is telling the truth.
Was Buzz telling the “truth” about drones? he actually had to apologise for getting that wrong. He’s throwing all kinds of sh!t on the wall hoping something sticks. He also knows this is probably the last year we’re on the canvas, we get back on our feet in 2024 swinging like a champ

The only thing I believe is he spoke to Arthur, we don’t know if he sensationalised the conversation or used a play on words to perceive we’re doing something improper - the fact we talked to the NRL puts it to bed, it’s not like it was “Arthur’s little secret” he shared with Buzz…

Play on, let’s get these marquee’s and get back to where we should be.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm just here happy that someone in the media is on our side for once.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
No what I mean is if Gus is lying, he is calling Buzz a liar and if it’s proven to be true, Buzz can get him for libel.

Likewise, if he made it up and wrote it, he slandered laundy and can get sooed.

I have a feeling that Laundy has ran his mouth and Gus is in damage control.

It won’t help the already strained relationship.
Gould sounded unflustered, and gave a reasoned and credible answer. He did not say that "Buzz Rothfield is a liar". He said that "someone has made it up". That is not the same as singling out an individual as a liar. If Rothfield wanted to sue him, he would have to prove that Gould directly accused him of lying. Nothing in what Gould said, pointed out Rothfield.

"Somebody" could be anybody. Rothfield could be a simple victim of that "somebody".

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Something popped upped on YouTube. Buzz the noob was even saying he is the only one that calls Gus out. So it is obvious it is a personal attack. I guess Buzz has elements of truth I think Gus has elements of truth. Possibly Laundy reached out to Gus about throwing a package to Tino (which might not have been done as of yet) maybe Laundy told Buzz he could possibly give pub investments which again has not been done yet but he would be happy to. Gus said 2+2=5 so there might be some elements of truth but the rest has been fabricated as an attack on the club and Gus for dodgy dealings which have never occurred. It’s more a personal agenda then a breaking story.

Either way doubt Buzz will be getting any quotes from Laundy in the future so he just stuffed himself up.

Had Buzz just focused on the story without bringing up he is the only one that calls out Gus it would have been a lot more credible.

Also wasnt buzz the flop saying the flange was going to Manly immediately? Ummmmmm….. still waiting……. Flop

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So, you believe Rothfield?
Looks like my comment has been taken way out of context. I'm just stating I don't trust much of what comes out of Gus's mouth.

Of course Rothfield and other journos are just as bad, but I put Gus in the same basket.

For what it's worth, in this particular case I believe Rothfield.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould sounded unflustered, and gave a reasoned and credible answer. He did not say that "Buzz Rothfield is a liar". He said that "someone has made it up". That is not the same as singling out an individual as a liar. If Rothfield wanted to sue him, he would have to prove that Gould directly accused him of lying. Nothing in what Gould said, pointed out Rothfield.

"Somebody" could be anybody. Rothfield could be a simple victim of that "somebody".
Spot on and on the contrary, Rothfield specifically took aim at Gus.

Buzz needs to be very careful with the word defamation - he’s falsely accused Gus more times than anyone on the planet.