News ‘Why is he in cotton wool?’ Myraid of Dogs’ issues laid bare as legend says coach deserves more heat

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs suffered another heavy loss on Sunday and as the horror 2023 campaign draws to a close, one rugby league legend says their coach isn’t copping the criticism he deserves.

When hired by the Dogs, Ciraldo was heralded as a rising star in the coaching ranks and a “defensive messiah”, but in his first season in charge has been full of disappointment.

Gorden Tallis compared Ciraldo to fellow rookie coach Andrew Webster, who has his surprise packet Warriors third on the ladder.

“Can I ask why he (Ciraldo) is in cotton wool when you got Andrew Webster who has gone to the Warriors, and you would have thought the Dogs would have finished higher than them,” Tallis said on NRL 360.

“Most NRL fans would have had the Dogs ahead of the Warriors (at the start of the season).”

Journalist Brent Read disagreed with Tallis, believing Ciraldo deserves to be given a bit more time.

“I’m willing to cut Cameron Ciraldo a bit of slack. It’s a bigger job probably than he thought it was,” Read said.

“It’s a bit unfair to judge him. I know they have had a poor year, they’ve been terrible and Cam went there as a defensive messiah and defensively they’ve been horrible.

“You can’t blame the coach for some of the tries (they conceded) yesterday.”

Horrible is an apt description of the Bulldogs defense. They’ve noticeably regressed from last season to this season, despite the addition of Ciraldo and players like Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau.

Canterbury rank last this season in points conceded (11th -2022), last in tries conceded (11th), last in missed tackles (9th) and second last in linebreaks conceded (10th).

NRL 360 co-host Braith Anasta called out the club’s on-field leaders, stressing they deserve some blame for the poor form.

“They were poor yesterday. I don’t think I’ve seen a softer first three tries than yesterday. That defence there was just terrible,” NRL 360 co-host Braith Anasta said.

“Did you watch yesterday? I looked at the line ups and I thought Newcastle should win this because of the way they are playing at the moment but there is a chance that if the Dogs turn up of causing an upset.

“I’m not going to name names, did you watch their leaders yesterday?

Read interjected: “Well one of those tries, it was Luke Thompson, Matt Burton, Kikau that missed the tackles and they all stood their like stunned mullets.”

“That’s my point. They should be better,” Anasta responded.

“I can see their (Bulldogs) vision it’s just not happening as quick as they would have liked.

“You said you got to cut Ciraldo some slack, I agree. I think he has the potential to be a great coach.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield found a couple of other reasons for the Bulldogs lack of success this season.

Rothfield says the Bulldogs are an unhappy club, pointing to the high turnover rate in recent years as a reason for that.

“I’ve been told it’s an unhappy football club. I know they’ve had 67 different players on contract in the last three years so their overturn and churn of players is far greater than any other club in the comp,” Rothfield said.

“Other more stable clubs have 40 maybe, mid-40 turnover in the last three years.

“What I’m saying is that there are a lot of players scared of getting a tap (on the shoulder), and don’t know their futures.

“Their recruitment is all over the shop. You got a pick a 30 man roster. Pick and stick it’s called and get the best out of them.”

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
“What I’m saying is that there are a lot of players scared of getting a tap (on the shoulder), and don’t know their futures."
Well if they are scared then obviously they know they are not performing. How about putting in effort to keep your job instead of worrying about it...

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ciraldo said he thought we trained better than we had all year.
Then that all changed on Sunday once we played ,it all went south

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I dont post much, but this one I'll make an exception.

So whyat I am thinnking is since we know Waddell, Jayden, Alamoti, Pele and maybe even Burns and RFM/Sutton have been tapped, they have taken the rout of tuning out for the year, as opposed to fighting for their place and NRL future/value.
Cam hasnt ben able to inspire them since they got the lethal injection.

I am hoping that id all it is. Players such as Alamoti do strike me as types that would lose interest in such circumstances.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop comparing Ciraldo to Webster. Their roster is so far superior to ours it’s not even funny.
Tallis compared our situation to the broncos a few weeks ago. He is painful.

He also said any team who wins the comp cheats the cap. A comment he had to retract.

Absolute embarrassment that a brain dead fuck who can’t string 2 words together gets a job in the media.

Bring back Paul Kent

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Players are just soft and entitled. The whole RPA shit plus our players really shows that athletes are sooks and hit the back door when things don’t go there way or feel pressured. Look at James Harden the fat prick today asking out of a third team in about 2 years. Hard workers always worry about job security but we still show effort in getting our shit done, these cüñts just pull the plug immediately

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Webster has a dominant/experienced half in Johnson and a alpha front rower in fonua-blake...
A big plus, especially for a rookie coach.
We have neither...

We look totally clueless with no on field direction or leadership, which isn't helping Ciraldo...
Exactly right. It’s like a chain reaction - poor spine and no gun front rower leads to poor attack leads to too much defence leads to heads down and the cycle just repeats.

Yes Ciraldo has made some poor selections and bench rotations but those shouldn’t be terminal, every coach does it sometimes. What makes it terminal is our players just not putting in the effort. You won’t get a better example than Thompson yesterday, arm-grabbing rubbish lets in two easy tries and straight away the rest of the guys are just ‘here we go again’.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon DJDeep should post more useless articles that are transcripts of the jibbering on NRL 360

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I reckon DJDeep should post more useless articles that are transcripts of the jibbering on NRL 360
I reckon he is doing us a favour, we don't have to give them clicks to read their bullshit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon he is doing us a favour, we don't have to give them clicks to read their bullshit.
I don't want to to read or hear any of their bullshit. Their opinions mean nothing. Most of it makes no sense. And the stuff they're right about everyone can see. It's just stating the obvious. Why anyone watches or reads about the shit these muppets say is beyond me