News ‘We have standards’: Bulldogs skipper shuts down criticism of club’s culture

Noosa Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like Reed, if he gets the right support from the more experienced players ( the few we have) I think he can make a good solo Captain.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’m legitimately interested in what people with more experience in this field have to say about this so I can wrap my head around it with a better understanding, because honestly you just never really heard the words back in my day.
That's because mental health was seen as a badge of shame that nobody discussed. (just like here on the Kennel it seems)
Treatment for mental health disorders (especially in returning WW1/2 veterans) consisted of going to the RSL and getting wasted to mask the trauma.
Mental hospitals were brutal places that nobody wanted to send their relatives because most times they would never come out so people suffered in silence.
Count yourself lucky as you would be one of the few who haven't seen the impacts first hand. PTSD, Depression and anxiety has cost me my career. My grandfather died in a mental hospital in the 50's. My mother suffered similar, my brother attempted to take his life and 2 of my next door neighbours succeeded.
Mental illness is all around you and it sucks big time.
The victim blaming, ableist bullshit and gaslighting here doesn't help.

Last edited:

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an overly used and abused terminology, which in fact is a diservice to actual mental health issues. The issue today is drop those two words and it's hands off. No one questions it cause it's not politically correct and to do so is career suicide. Everyone is under stress of some form or another. NRL has high expectations and isn't the job for everyone.
What utter crap

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's because mental health was seen as a badge of shame that nobody discussed. (just like here on the Kennel it seems)
Treatment for mental health disorders (especially in returning WW1/2 veterans) consisted of going to the RSL and getting wasted to mask the trauma.
Mental hospitals were brutal places that nobody wanted to send their relatives because most times they would never come out so people suffered in silence.
Count yourself lucky as you would be one of the few who haven't seen the impacts first hand. PTSD, Depression and anxiety has cost me my career. My grandfather died in a mental hospital in the 50's. My mother suffered similar, my brother attempted to take his life and 2 of my next door neighbours succeeded.
Well said. There are still many people who keep it inside and feel embarrassed to talk about it. Not enough is being done but we are heading in the right direction at least.
The more people are encouraged to talk about it the better.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reed cops a lot of shit on this forum, he is one of the few players in our squad who’s effort all year has earned him the right to speak and surprise surprise he’s come out in support of his coach. The media have done us a favour bringing all this out in the open and to a head we are going to be a better team for all this shit.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can't help but wonder whether all this stuff has been engineered/promoted by Gus to deflect from CC being found to be well out his depth as a first grade coach, which is something that everyone would normally be talking about now but instead they are talking about this Topine stuff.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Just in case....

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s very heavy brother .. thank you, you’ve explained so much, I appreciate the teachable moment …. I would like to express that PTSD depression and anxiety takes many forms, what you’re talking about here says you’ve been through a lot … I really do hope you are speaking with someone, I’ve been down a very different road, and one I had to rebuild from, so I do feel experienced enough to say, talk with people who are experienced enough to deal with these situations … it’ll be hard at the start … but you’ll eventually be glad you spoke with someone …

Also anyone feeling like whatever … speak with someone your close to .. it really helps ..

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
So because we hear so many people coming out with mental health issues they must be more that are not genuine and the evidence for this is back in the day when no one talked about mental health issues we didn't hear much of it?

@mods - can we have a 'have you really thought about what you are going to post' button before we post? Its a health issue - if I keep laughing this hard I might die.
There are more people faking mental health issues for a multitude of reasons. Like anything if there is a benefit to be gained there will be people who will game it.

People fake back injuries for work compensation because it's alot harder to disprove.
Now there is a stigma around questioning if someone's mental health claim is genuine it has opened up a can of worms. It's the ugly truth

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
There are more people faking mental health issues for a multitude of reasons. Like anything if there is a benefit to be gained there will be people who will game it.

People fake back injuries for work compensation because it's alot harder to disprove.
Now there is a stigma around questioning if someone's mental health claim is genuine it has opened up a can of worms. It's the ugly truth
Sure. You should question every person who claims mental health. That won't do any damage to the people who are genuine.

And tbf - why should you care?

@mods - you sure we don't get the button.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There’s a bit of an elephant in the room situation here that I’d like to address if that’s ok …

Forgive me if I come across a bit ancient or ignorant here, and trust me I’m just asking a legitimate question, I’m in no way trying to be insensitive so if I come across that way please feel free to rip in and let me know and I’ll delete the comment ….

Someone with knowledge on this please feel free to educate me …

Could someone please define for me these mental health type issues that seem to happen pretty regularly these days, how does someone go for years happily in an environment enjoying what they’re doing, to one situation leading to them to be suffering mental health issues …. I’m not saying they’re not legit, but you never really heard of this back in the day … are we saying that something so traumatic happened that the person had a break down mentally over the situation ?

What do they actually define mental health issues as?

I’ve had a lot to do with the police force over the years, and in association with that, paramedics, ambulance drivers etc …… I’ve seen some retire on stress leave just for the $$, I’ve seem others who’ve worked for years in these fields see one thing that triggers them off to the point they had no choice but to retire, but they’ve been very extreme situations ..

So I’m legitimately interested in what people with more experience in this field have to say about this so I can wrap my head around it with a better understanding, because honestly you just never really heard the words back in my day.
Thanks for being genuinely interested and curious about this. Here’s another spin on this topic for you to think about.

I have an 8 year old son who was diagnosed with autism and ADHD when he was 5. We knew something was up before that but it took a while to face facts.. as a parent you want to think your kids are perfectly ’normal’ of course.

Anyone who has these conditions, or knows someone (especially a kid) who has them, knows how full-on they are. I’ve seen my son be physically violent with his mum and his sister, both of whom he absolutely adores. We got a report from his school that said in year 1, out of roughly 150 students, he alone was responsible for 40% of all reportable behavioural incidents.

Since his diagnosis we have received NDIS support for behavioural therapy each week which, along with some medication, has done wonders. He will never be ‘cured’ of these conditions but he (and everyone around him) is learning how to exist in the world the best way he can.

The main point I want to make is my son is one of the physically healthiest people I know. He hardly ever gets sick and when he does he bounces back in a day or less. He eats a ton of healthy food (thanks mainly to his mum), he does a heap of after-school activities and he’s super curious about the world around him. In short, if you just looked at him from the outside you would never know the struggles happening on the inside.

How many people were in the same position 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 years ago but had to cop all the stigma and shame and ignorance with no help from therapy or medication or just awareness of the people around them? We should be thankful - I know I am - that mental health is finally being put on an even keel with physical health.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Sure. You should question every person who claims mental health. That won't do any damage to the people who are genuine.

And tbf - why should you care?

@mods - you sure we don't get the button.
Sure. We shouldn't question anyone who claims mental health. We should all be taxed accordingly so an adequate amount of services can filter through to the people with a genuine health problem.

Oh I care more than you realise. People with parental authority anxiety, the neurodivergent, multitudal pronoun confucius syndrome, climate cotards should all be que jumped ahead of first responders who realistically should be desensitised to the hundreds or thousands of horrific tragedies they encounter.

Modern problems require modern solutions. Penis vaccines are a start but there's lots more to be done.

In fact, are you hot in the summer and cold in the winter? Doyou suffer from sleepyness at night,? Are you panicking about global warming? Well good I've got a pill that will solve all you're eco anxiety worries. Climacalm - the new wonder drug that cures all your ecological ailments. caution- do not use while driving (an environmentally irresponsible vehicle) not to be taken with alcohol or common sense and practical thinking episodes

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Sure. We shouldn't question anyone who claims mental health. We should all be taxed accordingly so an adequate amount of services can filter through to the people with a genuine health problem.

Oh I care more than you realise. People with parental authority anxiety, the neurodivergent, multitudal pronoun confucius syndrome, climate cotards should all be que jumped ahead of first responders who realistically should be desensitised to the hundreds or thousands of horrific tragedies they encounter.

Modern problems require modern solutions. Penis vaccines are a start but there's lots more to be done.

In fact, are you hot in the summer and cold in the winter? Doyou suffer from sleepyness at night,? Are you panicking about global warming? Well good I've got a pill that will solve all you're eco anxiety worries. Climacalm - the new wonder drug that cures all your ecological ailments. caution- do not use while driving (an environmentally irresponsible vehicle) not to be taken with alcohol or common sense and practical thinking episodes
Excellent. So because your tax is spent on it, you have a right to question any mental health claim. And its your purpose in life to weed out the bullshitters so the real sufferers get their help. And you are obviously qualified to do this because you have google and an opinion.

Did I miss anything? Thank goodness with your expertise there is no chance of you getting it wrong and making someones mental health worse.

U should get a AM for services to the community. Good to know we all have you watching out for us so our money isn't wasted.

8-)

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

It is a seriously impressive achievement to pack this much ignorance into a single post.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Excellent. So because your tax is spent on it, you have a right to question any mental health claim. And its your purpose in life to weed out the bullshitters so the real sufferers get their help. And you are obviously qualified to do this because you have google and an opinion.

Did I miss anything? Thank goodness with your expertise there is no chance of you getting it wrong and making someones mental health worse.

U should get a AM for services to the community. Good to know we all have you watching out for us so our money isn't wasted.

8-)
Is strawman a mental health predilection? We should also be spending more on those who pretend they don't have mental health issues but clearly do.

My purpose in life fuckin lol you love to stretch. Do you have short man syndrome? Though I do trend naturally to weeding out the bullshitters in all aspects of life