News ‘I won’t do that anymore’: Why Gus intervened after Pangai’s trial tantrum

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
he actually played some of his junior footy at Mounties, so that is a cop out
Unless he played at Mounties before grade football then his only stint there was with Canberra and those boys were chucked on a bus at the end of the week and sent up for captains runs then got on the piss for the bus ride back home to Canberra after games.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Between himself, thompson and Vaughan you’d have one of the best middle forward packs in the comp. Not sure why we play him in the back row when he himself admits that his future is in the middle.

Just another questionable selection by Barrett. Does he go up to the players and he’s like jackson you’re lock, thommo you are a centre :p

I’d honestly have TPJ with Vaughan in the front row. And thompson at lock (not that there is much difference between lock and prop these days). They all classified as middles then front rowers etc.

Due to the lack of Rfm You’d have to go with Jackson unfortunately and hetherington in the back row. I don’t mind hetho out wide. He is too small for a middle. Atleast out wide he can use his speed if he breaks the line.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unless he played at Mounties before grade football then his only stint there was with Canberra and those boys were chucked on a bus at the end of the week and sent up for captains runs then got on the piss for the bus ride back home to Canberra after games.
I read it was juniors mitch, could be wrong

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sydney rat race comment is just that. Honestly he is just adjusting to it that’s all if we start winning games and he and the players enjoy their time playing footy you could live in Ukraine atm and be happy to go to work, it’s all about enjoying your job and being happy to go to your work place. He honestly strikes me as a shy person/player and he feels like he always has to try and be the enforcer and leader, our pack needs to lead and work together, I know I’m gonna cop some heat for this but JJ isn’t a great leader just because he trains hard and works himself to a stand still I love the bloke but he is getting on and has been declining at a rapid rate the last 3/4 years

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Relax, big Gus is on board helping the big guy out its far too early to shitcan him..maybe some changes can be effected positionally when Ray "no show" is ready to fn play again? Lol

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
With regard to TPJ acknowledging he has to mend his ways. That is a good sign, that he acknowledges there is a problem. That is the first and most important step towards fixing the problem.

I have an idea that is out of left field a bit, but often they work.

One of the best and most courageous Captains I have ever seen was John Sattler. An absolute gentleman off the field, but one who got white line fever on the field, and was sent off multiple times, before Souths made him Captain. He rarely transgressed after that.

I put a similar situation in place when I was coaching juniors about 10 years ago, when we formed a leadership group of 4 and made our most hot headed player part of that group. He struggled initially with the idea, but gradually his behavior improved both on and off the field. The following year he was elevated to Captain, and never ever transgressed again.

I think a strategy like this with TPJ is a gamble worth taking. We all seem to be on a similar page that Jackson doesn't have the right stuff to be a leader.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We all seem to be on a similar page that Jackson doesn't have the right stuff to be a leader.
We not ALL on a similar page, Jackson is the most respected player (by the players and the coaches) in the squad, and by some margin. He leads by example and if you made it to training you would see how he leads the team both by his actions and by his words, when he speaks every player listens. Those of us that made it to a trial can tell you first hand how much he is talking on the field again this year, just because it's not on TV doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Always a Bulldog

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We not ALL on a similar page, Jackson is the most respected player (by the players and the coaches) in the squad, and by some margin. He leads by example and if you made it to training you would see how he leads the team both by his actions and by his words, when he speaks every player listens. Those of us that made it to a trial can tell you first hand how much he is talking on the field again this year, just because it's not on TV doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Always a Bulldog
Of course Jackson is well respected by the team and coaches. The fans respect him and all he's done over the years greatly too. That doesn't mean he's an ideal captain and leader for the club or ignore the fact that he's well past his best. He's never been vocal enough with his team or the refs and always has seemed like a reluctant captain that has had that role because no one else could.

Ever since we lost Ennis and Graham as captains and leaders, the club has struggled greatly in that regard. I think Mahoney can be our next captain and reminds me a lot of Ennis from a leadership perspective.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Between himself, thompson and Vaughan you’d have one of the best middle forward packs in the comp. Not sure why we play him in the back row when he himself admits that his future is in the middle.

Just another questionable selection by Barrett. Does he go up to the players and he’s like jackson you’re lock, thommo you are a centre :p

I’d honestly have TPJ with Vaughan in the front row. And thompson at lock (not that there is much difference between lock and prop these days). They all classified as middles then front rowers etc.

Due to the lack of Rfm You’d have to go with Jackson unfortunately and hetherington in the back row. I don’t mind hetho out wide. He is too small for a middle. Atleast out wide he can use his speed if he breaks the line.
Cam someone explain to me the difference between a middle forward and a prop?

I thought they were the same thing in a standard setup with the exception of when they are tired and have a rest in the centres or when they are retreating from a line break.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
tbf though we dont really have anyone good to play on the edge atm, unless we want to play waddell stimson, hopefully next yr pangai goes to the middle with kikau on the left edge
Well RFM is back soon and Waddell played well in the trials

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't tell us what you are going to do, SHOW US what you are going to do, on the field, where it matters.

Quite a lot of fluff (and conjecture) in this article.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good article. Agree with what everyone said. Tevita knows what he needs to do. Just a matter of keeping focused on that and not letting the red mist descend.

As for him finding it difficult to settle in Sydney, I don't blame him but it's not really much worse than Brisbane. I mean, if he had moved from the country, I'd be able to take his traffic comments more seriously, but Brisbane has bad traffic too, like any big city. Sydney is mental though. It's one of the reasons I moved to the country several years ago. Driving around town is now (rarely) irritating.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've lived in Sydney all of my life and I'd have to agree. There are plenty of nice suburbs, but there are way too many people and too much traffic plus property/rental prices which make it more frustrating than enjoyable these days.
100%. While I do miss having access to a lot of different retail and cultural activities, and Bulldogs games, I just can't stand how hectic it is down there anymore. I've been living in the bush for 6 or 7 years now, having lived in north west and western Sydney all my life before that. It's so peaceful where I live. Ideally I'd have acreage on the outskirts of greater Sydney, so I was within an hour or so of the city, but I'd probably have to win the lotto first.

Last edited:

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
tbf though we dont really have anyone good to play on the edge atm, unless we want to play waddell stimson, hopefully next yr pangai goes to the middle with kikau on the left edge
RFM when he’s fit

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cam someone explain to me the difference between a middle forward and a prop?

I thought they were the same thing in a standard setup with the exception of when they are tired and have a rest in the centres or when they are retreating from a line break.
I’d like to know too…..

Same as a 5/8 and halfback. Now they are left side half and right side half :sweat: Too many changes.

I always considered a lock a skilful linkman, the likes of Clyde, Norton, or a tackle machine like Grimaldi.

not sure why. But it seems Sam burger changed the game where the 13 become more a middle forward then a lock? So in effect it’s 3 middles now instead of 2 props.

I could be wrong. But that’s how I interpreted it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d like to know too…..

Same as a 5/8 and halfback. Now they are left side half and right side half :sweat: Too many changes.

I always considered a lock a skilful linkman, the likes of Clyde, Norton, or a tackle machine like Grimaldi.

not sure why. But it seems Sam burger changed the game where the 13 become more a middle forward then a lock? So in effect it’s 3 middles now instead of 2 props.

I could be wrong. But that’s how I interpreted it.
It's all about tactics and balance of the the pack. The top teams like Souths, Panthers and Roosters play with big body props and the the more versatile middle/backrower type behind them at lock in Murray, Yeo and Radley. We're also seeing teams converting the utility half/back type into a lock, Knights are starting Mann at lock and Manly use Walker at lock off the bench. Those two sides also have genuine big body props ahead of them.

It's sort of just a lazy term. Some props can/can't play lock while some locks can/can't play lock but you sort do just call them all middles. Then you have teams like us that are just a joke and just throw people in wherever lol