News ‘I won’t do that anymore’: Why Gus intervened after Pangai’s trial tantrum

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on TPJ for realising it, if he can get that out of his game he is powerhouse to be feared, he keeps it clean with no more hiccups along the way, then will be an asset to the blue an white, huge potential.. and that can’t be denied. I’m still a fan an hope he proves all the doubters wrong! Even though they have good reason to have that opinion.

game on 9 days and counting DOWN.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thats because Sydney is a shit place to live. Cant blame him. Lol
I've lived in Sydney all of my life and I'd have to agree. There are plenty of nice suburbs, but there are way too many people and too much traffic plus property/rental prices which make it more frustrating than enjoyable these days.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Along with Thompson and Hetherington we'll probably hear one of these interviews a week..
I’m not sure on Thompson’s record at St Helen’s but Pangai and Hetherington were known quantities and the club knew exactly what they were buying . There’s no point trying to change players like this it never works we just have to cross our fingers they don’t miss much time but it’s not off to a great start.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't look good for Barrett who's supposed to be the players mentor and not the GM.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Discipline and mental toughness is an issue for a large chunk of the squad unfortunately.
but there is a real lack of accountability also, I would have at least expected the captain to give him an on field spray if not half the side but they where all patting him on the arse like he’d just scored the match winner.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
but there is a real lack of accountability also, I would have at least expected the captain to give him an on field spray if not half the side but they where all patting him on the arse like he’d just scored the match winner.
The problem is the captain hasn’t been much better himself. He’s been done in both trials for lazy play the balls. When it’s a wide spread problem it’s much harder to hold players accountable as you can’t drop them all.

In saying that Okonbur is a total liability with his hands and shouldn’t be anywhere near the NRL side next week.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A candid Tevita Pangai jnr said he deserves all the criticism he’s copped since an ill-tempered trial display which prompted him to apologise to his Bulldogs teammates - and even prompted Phil Gould to intervene.

Just days after one of the NRL’s most expensive recruits narrowly avoided suspension for two hot-headed outbursts in the trial against Cronulla, Pangai revealed Gould took it upon himself to speak to one of the game’s best forwards about his discipline as he struggles to adjust to life in Sydney.

“I apologised to the team,” Pangai jnr told the Sydney Morning Herald & The Age. “Gus [Gould] said what I did at Penrith, I need to do here. He wants me to lead with my strong carries and tackles. I’ve got to get all the other stuff out of my game.
“He just pretty much said to keep the aggression with the ball, but obviously be a bit smarter with the ball and how I tackle - and I can’t talk back to the ref. That’s one thing you can’t do. I won’t be doing that anymore.

“It’s such a high-speed game, and obviously I didn’t get suspended, but I’ve been copping a fair bit of criticism from some of the greats in the game, which is warranted. I think they’re frustrated because I haven’t fulfilled my potential. That’s understandable.”
Pangai joins Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton as centrepieces of Canterbury’s stunning recruitment drive - which has also netted Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney for 2023 - and raised hopes the Bulldogs will challenge for a top-eight spot this year.

But Pangai says adapting to life in Sydney - a city he never planned on coming to - had been far harder than expected, revealing Gould has been desperately trying to help the 26-year-old and his wife Anna settle in.

“The move to Sydney has been a bit of a shock,” he said. “My preference was never to come to Sydney, but there’s only a few clubs [in Queensland].

“Everyone is in a rush here. I feel like it’s a rat race. There’s not much traffic in a place like Brisbane. There’s a lot of people in smaller houses [here]. But I’m doing my best.

“We’re settling in now and starting to like it. The club has been helping a lot off the field. We’re trying to take away all the excuses off the field so we can just worry about footy.

“All the clubs Gus has been at have been family oriented, and that’s what swayed my wife and I to come here. It’s the reason why I wanted to come to the club.”
Sharks forward Royce Hunt said he would be happy to fight Pangai in the boxing ring, but advised him to play footy when on the field after their headline-making skirmish. Pangai was sin-binned as a result, drawing a torrent of criticism about his on-field behaviour.

The Tongan international has already said he’s only minding Kikau’s jersey on the left edge until his premiership-winning teammate arrives from Penrith, seeing his own future in the middle of the park.
And Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson doesn’t want Pangai to lose his edge.
“Tevita’s greatest strength is his aggression,” he said. “You don’t want to take that away from him. Obviously controlled aggression is what we’re after.
“The one on the weekend was just a bit of push and shove, it was nothing too serious. We know how good a player he can be and I think that’s probably what we’ve missed the last few years, someone that can provide a bit of X-factor and break the game open with his second phase and offload.

“I’ll tip he’s going to have a good year.”
Said Pangai: “I think it’s just routine and being consistent [for me], day in day out. A player like Josh Jackson, he does the same thing every day. I need to come to training and enjoy it, be energetic, and have a good support network with good people around me that will tell you the truth.”
What's that old saying 'actions speak louder than words' stfu and prove your high price tag.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem is the captain hasn’t been much better himself. He’s been done in both trials for lazy play the balls. When it’s a wide spread problem it’s much harder to hold players accountable as you can’t drop them all.

In saying that Okonbur is a total liability with his hands and shouldn’t be anywhere near the NRL side next week.
This! Absolutely spot on.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've lived in Sydney all of my life and I'd have to agree. There are plenty of nice suburbs, but there are way too many people and too much traffic plus property/rental prices which make it more frustrating than enjoyable these days.
I just touched down, and it looks pretty shit from my plane window right now.
I lived in Sydney for about 5 years, in a nice part of Sydney too, but its still a shithole. Lol
Like you said, way too many people, to many cars, too expensive, too much concrete. Give me a tropical paradise with palm trees, waterfalls of crystal clear water, coral reefs, clean air and islands any day!!!!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Tipping he doesn’t see out his full contract. Also agree that Sydney is a shithole lol.