News ‘I won’t do that anymore’: Why Gus intervened after Pangai’s trial tantrum

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A candid Tevita Pangai jnr said he deserves all the criticism he’s copped since an ill-tempered trial display which prompted him to apologise to his Bulldogs teammates - and even prompted Phil Gould to intervene.

Just days after one of the NRL’s most expensive recruits narrowly avoided suspension for two hot-headed outbursts in the trial against Cronulla, Pangai revealed Gould took it upon himself to speak to one of the game’s best forwards about his discipline as he struggles to adjust to life in Sydney.

“I apologised to the team,” Pangai jnr told the Sydney Morning Herald & The Age. “Gus [Gould] said what I did at Penrith, I need to do here. He wants me to lead with my strong carries and tackles. I’ve got to get all the other stuff out of my game.
“He just pretty much said to keep the aggression with the ball, but obviously be a bit smarter with the ball and how I tackle - and I can’t talk back to the ref. That’s one thing you can’t do. I won’t be doing that anymore.

“It’s such a high-speed game, and obviously I didn’t get suspended, but I’ve been copping a fair bit of criticism from some of the greats in the game, which is warranted. I think they’re frustrated because I haven’t fulfilled my potential. That’s understandable.”
Pangai joins Josh Addo-Carr and Matt Burton as centrepieces of Canterbury’s stunning recruitment drive - which has also netted Viliame Kikau and Reed Mahoney for 2023 - and raised hopes the Bulldogs will challenge for a top-eight spot this year.

But Pangai says adapting to life in Sydney - a city he never planned on coming to - had been far harder than expected, revealing Gould has been desperately trying to help the 26-year-old and his wife Anna settle in.

“The move to Sydney has been a bit of a shock,” he said. “My preference was never to come to Sydney, but there’s only a few clubs [in Queensland].

“Everyone is in a rush here. I feel like it’s a rat race. There’s not much traffic in a place like Brisbane. There’s a lot of people in smaller houses [here]. But I’m doing my best.

“We’re settling in now and starting to like it. The club has been helping a lot off the field. We’re trying to take away all the excuses off the field so we can just worry about footy.

“All the clubs Gus has been at have been family oriented, and that’s what swayed my wife and I to come here. It’s the reason why I wanted to come to the club.”
Sharks forward Royce Hunt said he would be happy to fight Pangai in the boxing ring, but advised him to play footy when on the field after their headline-making skirmish. Pangai was sin-binned as a result, drawing a torrent of criticism about his on-field behaviour.

The Tongan international has already said he’s only minding Kikau’s jersey on the left edge until his premiership-winning teammate arrives from Penrith, seeing his own future in the middle of the park.
And Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson doesn’t want Pangai to lose his edge.
“Tevita’s greatest strength is his aggression,” he said. “You don’t want to take that away from him. Obviously controlled aggression is what we’re after.
“The one on the weekend was just a bit of push and shove, it was nothing too serious. We know how good a player he can be and I think that’s probably what we’ve missed the last few years, someone that can provide a bit of X-factor and break the game open with his second phase and offload.

“I’ll tip he’s going to have a good year.”
Said Pangai: “I think it’s just routine and being consistent [for me], day in day out. A player like Josh Jackson, he does the same thing every day. I need to come to training and enjoy it, be energetic, and have a good support network with good people around me that will tell you the truth.”

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s the issue we have no decent 2nd row for him to be a middle. What happened to that Stuckey bloke ? I heard big raps on him didn’t even get a run in the trail lol even tara come on Baz

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bit hard when we're playing him on an edge :tearsofjoy:
tbf though we dont really have anyone good to play on the edge atm, unless we want to play waddell stimson, hopefully next yr pangai goes to the middle with kikau on the left edge

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
tbf though we dont really have anyone good to play on the edge atm, unless we want to play waddell stimson, hopefully next yr pangai goes to the middle with kikau on the left edge
thats the plan

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im worried when players who have a history of such behaviour, come out to say they are sorry and need to control their actions, only to lose the plot and do it again and again.

He has some X-factor TPJ but i think he is ultimately a liability and will be in out and out of this team. Probably cost us games too.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Find anyone else, I don't care. The club has had months to work this out but have instead decided to play our marquee in a role where they're nothing but a liability.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good to see the Sydney rat race excuse ready for when he bails to Newcastle in 2 seasons to be closer to family
he actually played some of his junior footy at Mounties, so that is a cop out

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At least he's acknowledged he has to tone it down and play with more discipline. What's interesting about his comments is the advice Gus gave him after the trial and the influence Gus had on him signing. No mention of Baz..

The part about hating Sydney isn't what you want to hear as we've had our fair share of homesick players that want to leave early. Hopefully he settles in with his family in Sydney and that's not an issue moving forward.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least he's acknowledged he has to tone it down and play with more discipline. What's interesting about his comments is the advice Gus gave him after the trial and the influence Gus had on him signing. No mention of Baz..

The part about hating Sydney isn't what you want to hear as we've had our fair share of homesick players that want to leave early. Hopefully he settles in with his family in Sydney and that's not an issue moving forward.
Thats because Sydney is a shit place to live. Cant blame him. Lol