News ‘I wish I never left’: Reynolds’ $12k Dogs deal worth its weight in gold

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol Not at all. It's not my fault TK hates passionate players.
Nothing against the guy he was pretty handy 5+ years ago.
Problem is now that passion will write cheques his body can't cash.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Nothing against the guy he was pretty handy 5+ years ago.
Problem is now that passion will write cheques his body can't cash.
He's only 33....people thought Foran was done and he had a pretty good year for Manly.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's only 33....people thought Foran was done and he had a pretty good year for Manly.
Foran had 2 good years at Manly and was far better than DCE. You are right people thought he was done and washed, it's really just about the contract length & value - weighing it up with risk vs reward.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
‘I wish I never left’: Reynolds’ $12k Dogs deal worth its weight in gold

Josh Reynolds says he regrets the day he walked out on the Bulldogs for the Wests Tigers five years ago, vowing to finish his career back where it all began.

Canterbury officials have confirmed to the Herald that the Bulldogs this week signed off on a 12-week train-and-trial contract that will allow Reynolds the chance to return to his beloved club.

The $1000-a-week deal is a far cry from the $3.5m deal he signed with the Wests Tigers back in 2018, but the money is no longer a factor for the 33-year-old.

“It’s given me everything, this club. I wish I never left,” Reynolds told the Herald in an interview outside Belmore Sportsground.

“I’ve always chased the same feeling I’ve had here. Money comes and goes, mate. I want to finish where I want to finish. Where I belong. A big thing for me at any club I’ve been at is to try and get people together. It just never happened at any other club. My best and fondest memories are here behind us at this exact stadium. A place where I had so many hard times but so many good times.

“No one remembers me as a Tiger or as a Hull FC player. Everyone always embraces me as a Bulldogs player. Walking down the street here, I’m living in Belmore at the moment, and it still happens. It’s exactly the same. I love this place.”

There are many who believe Reynolds’ return to Belmore is a PR stunt. Incoming coach Cameron Ciraldo doesn’t believe so.

He recently spoke with Reynolds and agreed to hand the former NSW Origin five-eighth a chance to prove he still belongs in the NRL.

“The ball is in my court,” Reynolds said. “My goal is to get a top 30 position. I’m coming up against 18-year-old Joseph Suaaliis now and I’m 33, but that doesn’t scare me.

“If I’m being honest, I want to play. I want to play first grade every week. There’s no shying away from that. I don’t want to come here and just train the house down. I’m not just a guinea pig. I want to play week in and week out.

“I don’t care what position I play. If I’m a utility off the bench, I will love that. I’m back here to play. That’s my mindset when I return on November 7.”

Reynolds was swarmed by adoring fans at CommBank Stadium on Sunday when he arrived for the NSW Cup grand final between the Bulldogs and Panthers.

He has spent the past two seasons playing in the UK Super League with Hull FC after he was granted a release from the final year of his deal with the Wests Tigers.

A wretched run with injuries denied Reynolds a genuine chance of making the most of his opportunity at the Tigers. He believes his body will reap the benefits from the stretch of forced absences.

“I’m going to come back and push my body to places that who knows if it can go there any more,” Reynolds said.

“The Bulldogs supporter base know what type of person I am. Nothing is going to be in half measures. I’ll give it everything I’ve got and in a way it’ll be good that my body hasn’t played a lot of football in recent years. I want to do whatever it takes to help the club. I was going to retire if I couldn’t get here. It’s the only place I want to be.

“I know I’m not going to be a superstar, but I will do what needs to be done whether that is helping a 16-year-old come through the grades and make him realise what it takes to be a Bulldog or if it is me playing first grade. I need to give back to this club that has given me so much in my life.”
[/QUOTE
Welcome home Josh, if you pass your passion to the others, we'll be top four next year

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Better player than Reynolds though, plus was well "rested" at the Dogs..

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Foran had 2 good years at Manly and was far better than DCE. You are right people thought he was done and washed, it's really just about the contract length & value - weighing it up with risk vs reward.
if we had foran at 7 this year we make the 8 IMO

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FFS everyone one of you to the last man, woman or child is so cooked and delusional about this situation.
This guy nothing against him but he is not a professional footballer anymore. Hasn’t been since about his last season of 2 at the dogs last time.
Your all falling for words and nostalgia.

You can’t say I “I bleed blue and white” and the equates to wins on the score board. He was moved on by Tigers and sent by England and all of a sudden he’s a better sub than Brandon Smith.

This is a joke situation and Ciraldo is being an idiot of going along with it. He’s lost me already with this crap

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can’t see him being in the squad, though no doubt the blokes probably a decent voice to the kids to say there’s more to life then $. He chased it and went to the tigpoes and regrets it. He no doubt would be pretty professional in his training and diet etc so that side could be useful to. The voice of passion the colours won’t hurt for 1k a week [emoji23]
Yes it well. He can’t play footy

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why do you need a 36 year old to help you bond? If we can’t bond without this muppet we are in deep shit
Well a wooden spoon and a couple of bottom 4
Finishes the teams been rubbish and it’s not like we’re gonna entice a Cleary or Moses to the club somethings not working and at 12k or what ever it ain’t gonna hurt to bring him back

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Shut the fuck up his passion only you should just love I wish the other 29 would have his passion
Go pull any lunatic out of the crown then if you want uncontrolled passion :tearsofjoy:

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me , it's 12k over summer that probably gets some good press for the club, doubt this is anything more

Wire Dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Didn't even notice him when he played over here in UK, but for $12k you never know....could be the bargain buy at the car boot sale that legends are made of! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FFS everyone one of you to the last man, woman or child is so cooked and delusional about this situation.
This guy nothing against him but he is not a professional footballer anymore. Hasn’t been since about his last season of 2 at the dogs last time.
Your all falling for words and nostalgia.

You can’t say I “I bleed blue and white” and the equates to wins on the score board. He was moved on by Tigers and sent by England and all of a sudden he’s a better sub than Brandon Smith.

This is a joke situation and Ciraldo is being an idiot of going along with it. He’s lost me already with this crap
Agree with most of this. Am surprised by Ciraldo tbh as I find this move bizarre, though it smells like a stopgap.

Means that we've got a half lined up for '24 and just need that extra support for next year.

Bad move by the club? We'll see I guess

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How does he warrant a FG spot? Guy played about 47 games in 4 years and injury prone. I agree about what you said in regards to antics in his final year. It's nice for him to ambitions to play FG however, he will struggle to make the NSW CUP side.
He is the king of talking himself up, he knows exactly what to do and what to say to keep himself relevant as a professional athlete. Which he really isn’t and hasn’t been for a long time. Yet still getting headlines and endless stories about himself in the media on a regular basis.
Yet they’re never about his “good form” or exploits on a football field because there isn’t any and hasn’t been for years and years.