News ‘I wish I never left’: Reynolds’ $12k Dogs deal worth its weight in gold

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
‘I wish I never left’: Reynolds’ $12k Dogs deal worth its weight in gold

Josh Reynolds says he regrets the day he walked out on the Bulldogs for the Wests Tigers five years ago, vowing to finish his career back where it all began.

Canterbury officials have confirmed to the Herald that the Bulldogs this week signed off on a 12-week train-and-trial contract that will allow Reynolds the chance to return to his beloved club.

The $1000-a-week deal is a far cry from the $3.5m deal he signed with the Wests Tigers back in 2018, but the money is no longer a factor for the 33-year-old.

“It’s given me everything, this club. I wish I never left,” Reynolds told the Herald in an interview outside Belmore Sportsground.

“I’ve always chased the same feeling I’ve had here. Money comes and goes, mate. I want to finish where I want to finish. Where I belong. A big thing for me at any club I’ve been at is to try and get people together. It just never happened at any other club. My best and fondest memories are here behind us at this exact stadium. A place where I had so many hard times but so many good times.

“No one remembers me as a Tiger or as a Hull FC player. Everyone always embraces me as a Bulldogs player. Walking down the street here, I’m living in Belmore at the moment, and it still happens. It’s exactly the same. I love this place.”

There are many who believe Reynolds’ return to Belmore is a PR stunt. Incoming coach Cameron Ciraldo doesn’t believe so.

He recently spoke with Reynolds and agreed to hand the former NSW Origin five-eighth a chance to prove he still belongs in the NRL.

“The ball is in my court,” Reynolds said. “My goal is to get a top 30 position. I’m coming up against 18-year-old Joseph Suaaliis now and I’m 33, but that doesn’t scare me.

“If I’m being honest, I want to play. I want to play first grade every week. There’s no shying away from that. I don’t want to come here and just train the house down. I’m not just a guinea pig. I want to play week in and week out.

“I don’t care what position I play. If I’m a utility off the bench, I will love that. I’m back here to play. That’s my mindset when I return on November 7.”

Reynolds was swarmed by adoring fans at CommBank Stadium on Sunday when he arrived for the NSW Cup grand final between the Bulldogs and Panthers.

He has spent the past two seasons playing in the UK Super League with Hull FC after he was granted a release from the final year of his deal with the Wests Tigers.

A wretched run with injuries denied Reynolds a genuine chance of making the most of his opportunity at the Tigers. He believes his body will reap the benefits from the stretch of forced absences.

“I’m going to come back and push my body to places that who knows if it can go there any more,” Reynolds said.

“The Bulldogs supporter base know what type of person I am. Nothing is going to be in half measures. I’ll give it everything I’ve got and in a way it’ll be good that my body hasn’t played a lot of football in recent years. I want to do whatever it takes to help the club. I was going to retire if I couldn’t get here. It’s the only place I want to be.

“I know I’m not going to be a superstar, but I will do what needs to be done whether that is helping a 16-year-old come through the grades and make him realise what it takes to be a Bulldog or if it is me playing first grade. I need to give back to this club that has given me so much in my life.”

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fk me I feel like we have massive hype already when everyone returns to training in November lol. This might be the spark we’ve required years ago after des left. Idc what anyone says about we always hear this every year.

All I can say is fox and Reynolds with their energetic vibe around the club can work wonders on everyone including newcomers. The fact CC has given him $1000 a week wtf do we gotta lose. Wether he plays in the top 30 or not is literally up to Reynolds and wether he can perform in top grade or not. But at least we can see some nice people around the club finally. Gus has deadset created the foundation work for the club which was something that we have lacked !!!

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw his training video lol no chance, club is taking the piss if they give him any sort of playing role. Ambassador, trainer, etc that's fine.
yes who gives a fk just get him around the club. Fox and topine only ones who bleed the blue. Bringing Josh in makes it even more enjoyable for everyone around the club.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't even think he'd make the NSW cup starting side. English super is just so far behind NRL, it's probably NSW cup level and he couldn't even make the ESL sides.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Can’t see him being in the squad, though no doubt the blokes probably a decent voice to the kids to say there’s more to life then $. He chased it and went to the tigpoes and regrets it. He no doubt would be pretty professional in his training and diet etc so that side could be useful to. The voice of passion the colours won’t hurt for 1k a week

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s very few players of that age in the NRL and if they are they’re quality players, JWH and DCE are examples.

if you want to see the club succeed forget about fairytales for individuals, by all means let him be involved as an ambassador or build a coaching career but not in the top 30.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't even think he'd make the NSW cup starting side. English super is just so far behind NRL, it's probably NSW cup level and he couldn't even make the ESL sides.
Nah ESL is way better than NSW Cup.