News ‘Dean’s been a real visionary’: Bulldogs set to play new brand of footy

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
isn't this the same dribble we have been told at the start of each season only to end up playing shit footy...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
isn't this the same dribble we have been told at the start of each season only to end up playing shit footy...
Yeah all the off season talk and trial games mean nothing you can't judge anything until the first 5 or so games.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully they have shaken off des ball from their systems though..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wish we played more trials to cement whatever the game plan is

Last season we were underdone and didn’t come right for first 6 weeks and played catch up since and inevitably failed

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, Lewis didn’t say it was “off the cuff” footy — the misguided reporter did in a simplistic attempt at paraphrase.
What Lewis said was: “It’s a high-tempo, not premeditated game plan. It’s eyes up, running flat, running fast.”
What he means is more instances like Jackson putting Holland through holes like against the Warriors because we retained our width and game awareness, instead of setting up for mindless block plays.
With the new skills coach onboard I can see lots more late passing at the line, and more plays like that breathtaking offload (twice) that put Smith into the clear against the Dragons... and an offload that saw Martin score a screamer of a try last year.

I think the Dogs will play more "chance their hand", with offloads at the line, more inside balls and scissor plays, and hopefully the cut out pass returns in it's full glory.

My only question mark at the moment, is in regards to the #9. Everything relies around Lichaa firing. If he takes 20 minutes to decide who to pass to from the ruck, all this new gameplan idea is rooted.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
@Nab Fab is THAT workplace cancer

I agree with some of his observations however some things are better left unsaid.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's nonsense. Lewis is just saying what some fans want to hear or Pay is as simple as I think he is. Do you really think we're actually going to beat teams just playing off the cuff? Fuck no.
It’s the warriors and they haven’t done anything.

Pay is an idiot. Statements like “play hard” or “play what’s in front of them” is something a dude at the pub would say.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few things about this., its either 2 things. He really isnt, case being Seibold turned south around in 1 off season or he is and the players were that far gone from Des hasler that it has taken extra for this sort of change. I hope its the second as if it fails it will be very ugly

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay is an idiot. Statements like “play hard” or “play what’s in front of them” is something a dude at the pub would say.
Here's the way I saw it last year, there were ~7 opportunities in the last 5 games where the players saw them. They didn't revert to the set plays, as they would have earlier in the season (and under the previous coach). They played to what they saw in front of them, relied on their teammates to back them up. As a result we saw some of the most spectacular plays of the season, something we haven't seen in recent seasons. For a handful of minutes they stopped the set plays and took advantage of what was available at that moment.

That's my take from "play what's in front of them".

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

You just dont understand anything about Rugby League.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Here's the way I saw it last year, there were ~7 opportunities in the last 5 games where the players saw them. They didn't revert to the set plays, as they would have earlier in the season (and under the previous coach). They played to what they saw in front of them, relied on their teammates to back them up. As a result we saw some of the most spectacular plays of the season, something we haven't seen in recent seasons. For a handful of minutes they stopped the set plays and took advantage of what was available at that moment.

That's my take from "play what's in front of them".

Go Dogs
And it was always going to take time to reverse coach that crap (boring set plays) out of them...actually to the point I think it was part of the reason why we let so many players go. It was done for that many years that a complete rebuild was the only way of cleansing our team from it and removing it from muscle memory when fatigued.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d much rather them pick out a lazy defender behind the ruck and support each other for a try under the post than making sure the 4th tackle should be made in line with one of the posts. Or I’d much rather see them look up and notice the fullback not in position and put a grubber in behind the defensive line for a great attacking play than see them perform the same pre meditated play a thousand times to come up with nothing. Playing off the cuff doesn’t necessarily mean there’s no game plan or strategy in what they are trying to do in the game. It’s about players backing themselves and believing in themselves.
I'd much rather us be a well drilled side considering it's well drilled sides that play finals footy and are successful. This heads up nonsense is just nonsense, if an opportunity arises ofcourse I want us to take it and we should, but effectively breaking down sides is what wins Premierships.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’m sure he just means, they’ve been given free reign to “play what they see” when opportunities arise.
They’ll have a defensive structure and an offensive structure, like every team in the NRL has.
So long as it’s not “tolman on the 4th”, I’m willing to give it a go.
Likely. I'm just worried about us turning into the Raiders as there's already been a few similarities.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Yes and that's why I'm worried, but most of here lap this sort of stuff up. Look at last year's two grandfinalists. Both extremely well drilled sides that played with a lot of players in motion with lots a different set plays and variations. Yh they threw the footy around a lot, but they also had individually brilliant players. There was also a lot of lead up play building up to these flashes of brilliance like stripping numbers from an edge or isolating defenders for key men to run at them.

So like I said this stuff is all just nonsense with Lewis just saying what fans want to here or we're genuinely fucked. Interesting to see that theres been no noise about Pay getting an extension yet. Club must have some doubts as you'd think offering a contract extension now would be a massive momentum builder for the club and confidence builder for Pay.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes and that's why I'm worried, but most of here lap this sort of stuff up. Look at last year's two grandfinalists. Both extremely well drilled sides that played with a lot of players in motion with lots a different set plays and variations. Yh they threw the footy around a lot, but they also had individually brilliant players. There was also a lot of lead up play building up to these flashes of brilliance like stripping numbers from an edge or isolating defenders for key men to run at them.

So like I said this stuff is all just nonsense with Lewis just saying what fans want to here or we're genuinely fucked. Interesting to see that theres been no noise about Pay getting an extension yet. Club must have some doubts as you'd think offering a contract extension now would be a massive momentum builder for the club and confidence builder for Pay.
I wouldn’t read too much into the comments Pay said almost the exact same thing last year. The proof will be when they start playing and see what kind of structures we use there will have to be some difference at the very least due to change of personnel.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I wouldn’t read too much into the comments Pay said almost the exact same thing last year. The proof will be when they start playing and see what kind of structures we use there will have to be some difference at the very least due to change of personnel.
True.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The lengths certain members go to here to attempt to shitcan Pay are absolutely laughable.

To misconstrue this article as if Pay has thrown all structure and sense out the window is ridiculous.

We saw a fair glimpse of what's essentially spoken of in this article in the second half of last year. Without losing shape or structure, our players simply were acting with a little more instinct and fearlessness. If they saw an opportunity they were acting upon it rather than taking the conservative route which was encouraged in the Des years. We kicked into space on 3rd and 4th with great effect. Our outside backs were exercising creativity which bore fruit. You could tell the coach had instilled confidence in them, and their execution reflected this.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The lengths certain members go to here to attempt to shitcan Pay are absolutely laughable.

To misconstrue this article as if Pay has thrown all structure and sense out the window is ridiculous.

We saw a fair glimpse of what's essentially spoken of in this article in the second half of last year. Without losing shape or structure, our players simply were acting with a little more instinct and fearlessness. If they saw an opportunity they were acting upon it rather than taking the conservative route which was encouraged in the Des years. We kicked into space on 3rd and 4th with great effect. Our outside backs were exercising creativity which bore fruit. You could tell the coach had instilled confidence in them, and their execution reflected this.
Right on point. Similar situation with what is happening at Manchester United.