News ‘Dean’s been a real visionary’: Bulldogs set to play new brand of footy

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They’ve been pegged as wooden-spoon favourites but Lachlan Lewis predicts Canterbury will be the new entertainers this NRL season.
After rattling a few cages in the back-end of an otherwise disastrous 2018 campaign, the Bulldogs are set to buck the trend of often-derided structured football, predictable block plays and slow ruck speed.

For years fans and commentators have bemoaned that the game has become too predictable — players are ordered to stick to “channels” and games have descended into wrestle-fests.

But Lewis, who is set to partner Kieran Foran in the halves, says the Bulldogs have built a game plan around intuition, playing what’s in front of them and not being afraid to chance their arm.

“It’s a high-tempo, not premeditated game plan. It’s eyes up, running flat, running fast,” Lewis said.

Lewis says coach Dean Pay had recognised that teams had adapted and learned how to read attacking shapes.

He pointed to the success they had in wins against Brisbane, Warriors, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers late in the 2018 season when they were given licence to play off-the-cuff footy.

“Dean’s been a real visionary,” Lewis said.

“We went through the whole Melbourne slow-the-ruck saga to highly structured block plays to catch defenders out. Defence is getting too good now. There’s too many good defensive centres and wingers who can shut things down.

“The way we kind of picked up with it at the end of the year, it really shook up some teams. The Broncos game, the Warriors game, St George even. It could be the way of the future.” This time last year Lewis, the nephew of Immortal Wally, wasn’t even in the club’s top 30 and his path to first-grade looked blocked.

It was only when Moses Mbye was forced out for salary cap reasons that he earned his opportunity and grasped it with both hands.

He has his first daughter on the way in May, a burgeoning baby clothes business to keep him busy off the field and has set lofty goals for himself over the next few years.

“I think, if I can, I want to take the team to the finals,” Lewis said.

“And with no timeline here, I want to play State of Origin. You can sense with my family it’s a huge thing.

“Finals this year, being an underdog. I’d love that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/06fcafa0b72bab141f770dca6b0de17b

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Good luck with that plan.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They’ve been pegged as wooden-spoon favourites but Lachlan Lewis predicts Canterbury will be the new entertainers this NRL season.
After rattling a few cages in the back-end of an otherwise disastrous 2018 campaign, the Bulldogs are set to buck the trend of often-derided structured football, predictable block plays and slow ruck speed.

For years fans and commentators have bemoaned that the game has become too predictable — players are ordered to stick to “channels” and games have descended into wrestle-fests.

But Lewis, who is set to partner Kieran Foran in the halves, says the Bulldogs have built a game plan around intuition, playing what’s in front of them and not being afraid to chance their arm.

“It’s a high-tempo, not premeditated game plan. It’s eyes up, running flat, running fast,” Lewis said.

Lewis says coach Dean Pay had recognised that teams had adapted and learned how to read attacking shapes.

He pointed to the success they had in wins against Brisbane, Warriors, St George Illawarra and Wests Tigers late in the 2018 season when they were given licence to play off-the-cuff footy.

“Dean’s been a real visionary,” Lewis said.

“We went through the whole Melbourne slow-the-ruck saga to highly structured block plays to catch defenders out. Defence is getting too good now. There’s too many good defensive centres and wingers who can shut things down.

“The way we kind of picked up with it at the end of the year, it really shook up some teams. The Broncos game, the Warriors game, St George even. It could be the way of the future.” This time last year Lewis, the nephew of Immortal Wally, wasn’t even in the club’s top 30 and his path to first-grade looked blocked.

It was only when Moses Mbye was forced out for salary cap reasons that he earned his opportunity and grasped it with both hands.

He has his first daughter on the way in May, a burgeoning baby clothes business to keep him busy off the field and has set lofty goals for himself over the next few years.

“I think, if I can, I want to take the team to the finals,” Lewis said.

“And with no timeline here, I want to play State of Origin. You can sense with my family it’s a huge thing.

“Finals this year, being an underdog. I’d love that.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/06fcafa0b72bab141f770dca6b0de17b
Love this kid . We better off him good money if he has another break out season, with nikorima and the roosters not having a Cronk replacement I can see someone trying to poach him.. but he seems very loyal and wants to create his own path

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love the enthusiasm. He could have given the boring diplomatic cliche about ‘taking it one week at a time’ but instead he offered some insight and optimism ! Good luck son.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did Foxports just rewrite the nrl.com from earlier today? Looks like it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don’t mind off the cuff footy, playing what’s in front of them. As long as their defense is structured. If you have a really good defensive structure, the points will flow
It's nonsense. Lewis is just saying what some fans want to hear or Pay is as simple as I think he is. Do you really think we're actually going to beat teams just playing off the cuff? Fuck no.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well keeps things very interesting for the 2019 season, I like what I’ve been hearing/reading from all the players and club..!! It seems there will be a lot of new/changes this year and I’m very optimistic indeed.

Fuck yea!! Go doggs!!

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given our whole team has been eyes down since Des started I would absolutely love us to return to eyes up footy. Lewis is a breath of fresh air in my opinion. He pushes up and backs up breaks and he definitely has an element in his game that others find difficult to handle. IF he can get his uncle's confidence and aggressive eyes up play style then holy fuck it might just be giddy up time for this old hombre when watching the dogs in 2019.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can't Wait to see you eat your words!! I'm sure you won't show any humility though!!
I won't have to eat my words because it's either garbage or it won't work. You can't consistently beat NRL teams playing off the top of your head when clubs are so well prepared and drilled.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
It's nonsense. Lewis is just saying what some fans want to hear or Pay is as simple as I think he is. Do you really think we're actually going to beat teams just playing off the cuff? Fuck no.
If you really think we will be unstructured, unorganised, and play with no strategy but cuffing it, maybe you are simple.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Getting snobbed by the media due to unknowns, thats all good, Pay and the boyz look to be trying real hard and hope nobody gets in their way of playing good footy.